Old 10-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #46
BadJuju83
Bolivian
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: BOXING: Tragic Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiffy
The Michael Watson story is more one of triumph over tragedy . No-one expected him to even wake up never mind achieved what he has since he fell into a coma after a classic encounter with chris eubank.

Criminally under-rated as a fighter, its for his life after boxing that he should be an inspiration to us all in a shitty world.

Ill second that
BadJuju83 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2008, 09:06 PM   #47
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis
What about the Middleweight division? It's champions have had more than their fair share of tragedy.

Billy Papke....Killed wife and comitted suicide.
Carlos Monzon.....Murdered wife and later died in a car crash aged 52.
Yeah, really tragic for those "champions"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy the hat
I feel the tragedy that George Chuvalo suffered in his family life is an incredibly sad story. Three sons became heroin addicts, one committing suicide,the other two dying from OD's. Then to top that off, his wife commited suicide. Geoge now spends alot of his time touring Canada and speaking to young kids about the tragedy he endured in hopes he can save other people from what he had to go through. A incredibly tough man in and out of the ring.
Now that is ****ing terrible.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2008, 08:16 AM   #48
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegrade
I am curious, what`s McClellan`s story with regards to dogs?
Make that Dogs and Flamingo's.............
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2008, 08:31 AM   #49
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

James Broad.........died penniless yet proud , homeless in a bus terminus in Henderson Nevada.. (never asked for handouts yet had no home or money , and when offered help he was too proud to take it..) died of pneumonia..

Jerry Ballard , Don King Heavyweight prospect..stabbed in the neck after a row in a bar in Maryland.. didn't know he had been stabbed and even though the stabbing was not that bad , he ran five blocks after the attacker before collapsing in an alley where no one could hear his cries for help.. bled to death overnight , when he so easily could have survived.

Kid Akeem Anifawoshe..

Nigerian / las vegas based fighter who collapsed after a gruelling fight with Robert Quiroga, yet survived , he became obsessed with making a comeback.. returned to Nigeria to seek medical advice when banned in NV and after a visit to his shamen lost about 4 pints of blood whilst undergoing a ritualistic cleansing regime and passed away ...

Albert Williams , Ex Marine returned from the gulf turned pro as a heavyweight with a respectable record , a draw with both Ed Mahone and Jameel McCline.. Albert was trained and handled by Stacey Mckinley and Crocodile , Albert was also Lennox Lewiss cheif sparring partner and close friend.. Al had just been offered a very good promo contract in NY , and was working closely with team Tyson in 1999, Al was ready for some great paydays , when he returned home from sparring at Nevada partners , he ate a cat fish dinner with his trainer and sat quietly with his lovely son in the bedroom of his home he silently died of heart failure aged 31.. incidentally his father died of a similar condition at exactly the same age.. Mike Tyson kindly paid the whole funeral expence (that man is an absolute gentleman) thankyou mr Mike Tyson.. always grateful for that gesture..

enough for now......

Too many lovely people died in this wonderful sport....
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2008, 11:35 PM   #50
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru

Location: Have removed the 20a87 troll virus 'coz it sux cocks.
vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju83
He bred dogs for dog fighting, took part in dog fighting and bought non fighting dogs so his dogs could "spar" with them, Taping their mouths shut so as not to harm his own dogs. Not very nice i agree, in fact i ****ing hate dogfighting, but its not exactly hitler material is it? No-way he deserved what happened to him and infact i bet there are people who have posted on this thread slamming him,that are supporters of boxers who have done a lot worse things than him in their life. There are Boxers who have killed,attempted to kill,raped,robbed and battered people who get more respect here than him.
Who cares about a bunch of dogs???? REALLY???? Pontious you **** wit, I bet you eat Big Macs by the dozen and dont give a care in the world about the cows being slaughtered. I would bet you are fully supportive of the ignoramous cunts in Iraq dropping bombs on the innocents also..... McLellan may have been involved in cruelty to dogs, yet this is secondary to the current physical state he is now in. Perhaps you mother needs to suffer the same fate as gerald for having exposed such a ****ing dog like yourself to the world.
flamengo is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2008, 05:52 PM   #51
Coetzeefan101
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGEREDGE
johnny owens story really broke my heart. he was still a virgin at the time of his death

sonny listons is another one. here is a link to an unsolved mysteries on his case:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Johnny Owen's story also broke my heart, a kind shy quiet man who went out as a warrior.

A tribute to the Matchstick Man.

Coetzeefan101 is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2008, 04:00 AM   #52
Brian Zelley
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Looking back to our amateur days, I'm sure some of us remember
some of those talented amateur boxers that didn't reach the
real beginning of that glory road, but fell by the wayside and died young.

I remember one of my former friends and teammates of Nanaimo's
Newcastle Boxing Club. Jules Nepper, one of the boxing sons of George Nepper, the founder of the club in 1963. I believe it was the summer of 1970, on a Friday, I remember seeing him before I was heading to
work in a logging camp during my break from University.
Well it turned out to be the last time that I saw him as he died in a car accident that night or the next night.

Some boxing clubs have many tragedies befallen their past or current members from shootings to drugs to tragic accidents. One such club
was the Knott Street Boxing Club in Portland, Oregon which was the home
club to the talented Ray Lampkin. In the June 27, 2004 issue of
the "Portland Tribune" there was an excellent but sad story of
some of the past boxers that died in tragic circumstances, The Tribune
writer used three very important words: "DESPAIR DISPLACES GLORY".
One of the talented Portland boxers to go from glory, to despair
to death was Johnny Howard. In the early Sixties, he was one of the best USA amateur boxers, but for some reason he never became a world champion or a top contender in pro boxing.

In recent times a talented amateur boxer from the Vancouver
region of British Columbia died in a motor accident.
Brian Zelley is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2008, 06:31 AM   #53
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat View Post
James Broad.........died penniless yet proud , homeless in a bus terminus in Henderson Nevada.. (never asked for handouts yet had no home or money , and when offered help he was too proud to take it..) died of pneumonia..

Jerry Ballard , Don King Heavyweight prospect..stabbed in the neck after a row in a bar in Maryland.. didn't know he had been stabbed and even though the stabbing was not that bad , he ran five blocks after the attacker before collapsing in an alley where no one could hear his cries for help.. bled to death overnight , when he so easily could have survived.

Kid Akeem Anifawoshe..

Nigerian / las vegas based fighter who collapsed after a gruelling fight with Robert Quiroga, yet survived , he became obsessed with making a comeback.. returned to Nigeria to seek medical advice when banned in NV and after a visit to his shamen lost about 4 pints of blood whilst undergoing a ritualistic cleansing regime and passed away ...

Albert Williams , Ex Marine returned from the gulf turned pro as a heavyweight with a respectable record , a draw with both Ed Mahone and Jameel McCline.. Albert was trained and handled by Stacey Mckinley and Crocodile , Albert was also Lennox Lewiss cheif sparring partner and close friend.. Al had just been offered a very good promo contract in NY , and was working closely with team Tyson in 1999, Al was ready for some great paydays , when he returned home from sparring at Nevada partners , he ate a cat fish dinner with his trainer and sat quietly with his lovely son in the bedroom of his home he silently died of heart failure aged 31.. incidentally his father died of a similar condition at exactly the same age.. Mike Tyson kindly paid the whole funeral expence (that man is an absolute gentleman) thankyou mr Mike Tyson.. always grateful for that gesture..

enough for now......

Too many lovely people died in this wonderful sport....
Well put and good info as always Bigcat....I had no idea Tyson paid for that.

As for my contribution to the thread, look no further than my current avatar. Leavander Johnson was a good guy, who had overcome the one remaining hurdle in his career in what was, in all likelihood, his last chance to do so. He'd finally won a title in his 4th attempt, becoming one of the older first time champs you'll see at 35....only to be mortally wounded in his first title defense, where nobody had any idea of the severity until he collapsed in the locker room. Coincidentally enough, I was born on the same day Leavander was and picked up rooting for him based on that initially, but grew to be a fan the more I learned and watched of him and was genuinely proud when he finally succeeded in his bid for a title. I'm biased, but I'd encourage anyone who can spare a few bucks to make a donation to his foundation. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

RIP and Happy Birthday, Champ.
Rock0052 is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2008, 07:16 AM   #54
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

gary barker a promising amatuer and brother to darren died in a car crash i think last year

lito sisnorio (spelling) died in a fight with manny pacquio for his WBC flyweigth ttile
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2008, 01:56 AM   #55
BoppaZoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1132

Les Darcy story is pretty tragic.
BoppaZoo is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #56
CottoDaBodykill
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 4047

how about the old school boy himself bobby chacon .. wife commits suicide .. million dollar fighter ..multi champion .. gave the nation thrills chills and spills fight after fight only to wind up being seen at an oscar delahoya event picking through the trash ...

thats pretty nasty
CottoDaBodykill is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2008, 04:44 AM   #57
Brian Zelley
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Some of the oldtimers that may be of interest:
Bill Brennan (shot), Pancho Villa (blood poisoning),
Chuck Wiggins (accident), Ben Foord (suicide), and.
Ernie Vigh (car accident)

For some, boxers that died in the Sixties may be considered old timers.
One such boxer was Bobby Horn (auto accident) - 1963.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:40 AM   #58
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Zelley View Post
Looking back to our amateur days, I'm sure some of us remember
some of those talented amateur boxers that didn't reach the
real beginning of that glory road, but fell by the wayside and died young.

I remember one of my former friends and teammates of Nanaimo's
Newcastle Boxing Club. Jules Nepper, one of the boxing sons of George Nepper, the founder of the club in 1963. I believe it was the summer of 1970, on a Friday, I remember seeing him before I was heading to
work in a logging camp during my break from University.
Well it turned out to be the last time that I saw him as he died in a car accident that night or the next night.

Some boxing clubs have many tragedies befallen their past or current members from shootings to drugs to tragic accidents. One such club
was the Knott Street Boxing Club in Portland, Oregon which was the home
club to the talented Ray Lampkin. In the June 27, 2004 issue of
the "Portland Tribune" there was an excellent but sad story of
some of the past boxers that died in tragic circumstances, The Tribune
writer used three very important words: "DESPAIR DISPLACES GLORY".
One of the talented Portland boxers to go from glory, to despair
to death was Johnny Howard. In the early Sixties, he was one of the best USA amateur boxers, but for some reason he never became a world champion or a top contender in pro boxing.

In recent times a talented amateur boxer from the Vancouver
region of British Columbia died in a motor accident.
Talking about the amateurs. What about the American team that died in a plane crash. I think most of them would have represented USA in the 1980 Olympics. If USA hadn't pulled out.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2008, 07:17 AM   #59
phonk
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Benny Lynch.

Scottish born flyweight. Considered to be the premier flyweight of the 30's and still rated by some as the best Scottish boxer ever.

His career was over by the time he was 25 due to his fondness for a drink. Died a penniless alcoholic in his early 30s.

Johnny Tapia has also lead a pretty amazing / tragic life.
phonk is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #60
Brian Zelley
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Likely for USA Boxing, the tragedy of tragedies was the airplane crash
that wiped out the majority of the 1980 USA Boxing team that included
coach Sarge Johnson and boxers such as Paul Palomino and Calvin Anderson.

Two fortunate boxers that were not flying to Poland with the team were
Johnny Bumphus and Bobby Czyz.

Sarge Johnson was a dedicated boxing coach, and an important part
of the performance of the 1976 USA Olympic Boxing Team, and
what a grand and glorious team that was.

Last edited by Brian Zelley; 01-11-2009 at 06:06 PM.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum