Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #1
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Sailor Tom v Irish Jerry?

Five foot eight 180lbs pit bull Tom Sharkey versus six foot 198lbs Jerry Quarry. Fifteen rounds, modern gloves, lenient referee ,[Sharkey would need one].

Does the old bruiser thump his way to victory ,or, does the relatively more polished, and skilled Quarry out box and out manouver Sailor Tom to take the win?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

mcvey is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Sailor Tom v Irish Jerry?

From what I've heard of Tom Sharkey, he'd probably bash Quarry up, fair or foul. Quarry had skills but he'd probably get the strategy wrong, end up brawling and get bashed up.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

With his size advantages i'm not so sure Jerry couldnt handle a Toe-to-Toe with Tom. Looking at the first three rounds Jerry met Frazier with in the first fight, the way he opened up on Mac Foster...and of course his Shavers Salvo's i feel its Tom who may have to be circumspect early and ease his way in...,
Tom was indeed tough...but what was an on song Jerry ? Jerry can box when he has to, and i just dont think Tom will be able to Bull Jerry about...perhaps Alternating between A Lyle boxing Blueprint and a "Taste some of Mine" Irish Dander Outbreaks, I think Jerry can take this one on points, ( of course barring Chuvalo Mishaps)
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Sharkey is considered an uncrowned champion. He was highly thought of during his time. I always liked Quarry but he generally fell short at the highest level and Sharkey certainly would be a highest level opponent. Quarry does well early but is lured into a brawl as rounds go by. Sharkey out roughs Quarry and hits from all angles. By round 10 both men are cut and bleeding but as typical Jerrys cuts are severe leading to the stoppage at the end of round 12. In the end Jerry leads on the cards but leaves the ring with the TKO loss.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
scartissue
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Both prime combatants, I see the smaller Sharkey leading, Quarry countering and busting up Tom while pot-shotting from the outside. I see moments where the Irish in them brims to the surface and they swap heavy leather in close, but I see Jerry getting the better of those exchanges too. Quarry on an 8th round stoppage.
scartissue is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
gentleman jim
gentleman jim
ESB Senior Member

Interesting matchup to say the least but 'll take Quarry for the simple fact that there's no footage of Sharkey(or very little if any) for me to rate his ability/style. How did he fight? I'm sure he was a tough SOB who could take as well as he dished it out but what did he look like in action? How did he put his punches together? I just can't make a decision in his favor without seeing him in action. Maybe it's just me but I'll go with the fighter who has the footage to allow me to make a decision. I know that's not necessarily the best way....Greb comes to mind but Sharkey was no Greb. Quarry by decision.
gentleman jim is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Jerry was always smarter than Tom.....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUDINI View Post
Sharkey is considered an uncrowned champion. He was highly thought of during his time. I always liked Quarry but he generally fell short at the highest level and Sharkey certainly would be a highest level opponent. Quarry does well early but is lured into a brawl as rounds go by. Sharkey out roughs Quarry and hits from all angles. By round 10 both men are cut and bleeding but as typical Jerrys cuts are severe leading to the stoppage at the end of round 12. In the end Jerry leads on the cards but leaves the ring with the TKO loss.
This.

Quarry has got more skills but he won't be keeping his head or temper in check long enough to make it matter. Sharkey's rough stuff gets Jerry's blood boiling early and he tosses his battle plan to the wind, playing right into the tougher, harder-punching sailor's hands.

BTW, we have much of the 25 rounds of Sharkey-Jeffries on film. It clearly shows Sharkey as a "rushing" type fighter, who moved in throwing haymakers and asserting his strength. He was an ironman and Quarry is NOT stopping him. Nor could he keep the rushing Sharkey on the outside. He would have no choice but to trade.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
scartissue
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I just watched all the available film of Sharkey. That's right, all 4 minutes of grainy film that appear to exist. Hard to beleve anyone could watch that and come to the conclusion that Sharkey beats Quarry. My original assessment stands.
scartissue is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #10
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quarry who beat Mac Foster,Thad Spencer,Ron Lyle,Earnie Shavers vs the Sharkey who lost to his best opponents...Sharkey was strong but a different level of skill.....Quarry beat the hard punchers and giants

Jerry by KO
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #11
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by scartissue View Post
I just watched all the available film of Sharkey. That's right, all 4 minutes of grainy film that appear to exist.
There's a 11 minutes version out there.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
ImElvis666
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 227381

ImElvis666 is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
From what I've heard of Tom Sharkey, he'd probably bash Quarry up, fair or foul. Quarry had skills but he'd probably get the strategy wrong, end up brawling and get bashed up.
This is how I see it.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #14
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
This.

Quarry has got more skills but he won't be keeping his head or temper in check long enough to make it matter. Sharkey's rough stuff gets Jerry's blood boiling early and he tosses his battle plan to the wind, playing right into the tougher, harder-punching sailor's hands.

BTW, we have much of the 25 rounds of Sharkey-Jeffries on film. It clearly shows Sharkey as a "rushing" type fighter, who moved in throwing haymakers and asserting his strength. He was an ironman and Quarry is NOT stopping him. Nor could he keep the rushing Sharkey on the outside. He would have no choice but to trade.
Iron Man Sharkey was dropped by 158lbs McCoy ,and twice stopped by small light heavy Fitzsimmons.I don't think its a given he could weather Quarry's punches.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Iron Man Sharkey was dropped by 158lbs McCoy ,and twice stopped by small light heavy Fitzsimmons.I don't think its a given he could weather Quarry's punches.

And McCoy was a pound for pound type of puncher who made Ring Magazine's top 100 punchers of all time.
Mendoza is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum