Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 10-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #31
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450
Default Re: Dana on Kimbo's fights "special" rules

He's likely blaming on boxing because Shaw is also a boxing promoter so corruption is second nature to him. one thing about Dana he sure doesn't sugarcoat what he says.
AJAX is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #32
Rico Spadafora
Best Chin On ESB
East Side VIP

vCash: 1158

White is an idiot but he is right. Kimbo has one of the worst Glass Jaws I have ever seen maybe even worse than Amir Khan or Roy Jones Jr.
Rico Spadafora is online now  Top
Old 10-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #33
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffnutz
As if Dana has never paid a fighter off to keep a fight standing.
name one

Quote:
Are we supposed to believe that in all these years Dana has never done this?

People would rather see knock outs than submissions.
modern crowds love both, and cheer both; there are equal bonuses for both.
Quote:
They would rather see a stand up striking match than a ground match and thats a fact.
explain the cheers after takedowns? They are very real. Clay Guida gets fight of the night almost every time, I guess thats just to cover the conspiracy up?

Quote:
He spends money on a hell of a lot of garbage fighters for the TUF show, then still brings them into the UFC even if theylook pathetic and lose, even though there are tones of better fighters that belong in the UFC.
Forrest Griffin, Kenny Florian, Josh Koscheck, Diego Sanchez, Joe Stevenson, Marcus Davis, Rashad Evans, Keith Jardine, Joe Lauzon, Manny Gamburian, Gray Maynard, Cole Miller, Mac Danzig, Nate Diaz,and thats just off the top of my head. Name these better fighters out there who should take these guys places?
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2008, 03:48 PM   #34
LONE WOLF
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

I agree with White on this point.
LONE WOLF is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #35
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebs
name one

modern crowds love both, and cheer both; there are equal bonuses for both.

explain the cheers after takedowns? They are very real. Clay Guida gets fight of the night almost every time, I guess thats just to cover the conspiracy up?
You're kidding right? You are as big of a UFC blinded fan as scurla a pride.

Clay Guida even if he has won fight of the night(which i don't even remember him winning it) but judging from last 2 fights he might have won it because he was going non-stop(thx to his great gas tank). There was no jiu-jitsu game. The crowd doesn't understand it and it doesn't want to understand it. Not yet at least. No one in the stands either sees or knows the technicalities that are going on while on the ground. I don't judge, because before i started doing bjj myself i didn't know shit either and thought it was just boring.

I remember (don't remember who diego sanchez was fighting) where people(BJJ background) at my crib were going crazy at how slick some moves were while crowd started booing.

Yes, crowd prefers takedowns because they are percieved as slams. Yes they want it standing because they want to see someone get beat down. That's just reality. I also love the shots of piss drunk crowd in the stands with plastic cups in their hands. If you don't believe that, than you pretty much failed UFC fanboy.

About 75% of the crowd in the stands are Tapout gear wearing-beer drinking-troll mongers that don't know the difference between an armbar and a triangle. You are simply blind if you think this is somehow a "modern" crowd. It's the same UFC crowd that was there a year ago and 3 years ago. The difference is how much of that crowd actually starting to get into it. It's better but not much more different.

I have yet to meet a person wearing a friggin Tapout gear that doesn't LOOOVE UFC and actually trains in something. That is the majority of the crowd in the stands.
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #36
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

Guida has won at least 2 fight of the nights, that took place nearly entirely on the ground, mostly wrestling, and mostly in the guard.

Dana was happy as a clam after the Cummo Stevenson TUF finale, again, all ground fighting,so was the crowd. And that was a few years ago and it has only gotten better, the crowds are learning.

The crowd cheers takedowns when they think their fighter is better on the ground, the crowd cheers submission escapes. Miguel Torres gets cheered for PULLING GUARD, Faber gets cheered for taking down peope, the crowd gets excited when Faber starts to hook up a guillotine and then there is a collective breath out when its escaped.

The old sterotypes are no longer true. This isn't just at UFC events either.

Couture vs Syvlia for a PRIME example.

Bottom ****ing line, name me one fight where Zuffa paid somebody to not take the other guy to the ground, name one.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #37
joe the great
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Here is the interview he refers to

Elite XC consultant Gary Shaw said he wouldn’t hesitate to “go to a fighter and say, ‘We’re looking for a stand-up fight.’ You’re not asking him to throw a fight. You’re talking about a fan-friendly fight, not about protecting Kimbo.”

Shaw said he has urged MMA fighters in the past to maximize the action, to avoid an abundance of yawn-inspiring wrestling.

“Do I think that’s unethical? No,” Shaw said.
“Because in MMA, you get bonus money for a knockout. I don’t see it as unethical . . . asking him to be TV and fan friendly.”
So was the purse altered if they fought differently?
joe the great is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #38
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I think, technically the purse is sweetened if you WIN a standup fight.

Still. There are some things that come to mind even though I generally agree with Dana White. Like, self promotion and calling his fighter the best in the world. He can say one thing is all about money, his business is all about money as well, but he does at least have some sense of loyalty to actual mixed martial arts..

Do I respect Dana more for the call out? Nope, I expect it from him. I will respect Dana when he really sticks to his guns, goes for the absolute best fighters, paying some of the lesser fighters a more fair purse.
Koa is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #39
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoalf
About 75% of the crowd in the stands are Tapout gear wearing-beer drinking-troll mongers that don't know the difference between an armbar and a triangle. You are simply blind if you think this is somehow a "modern" crowd. It's the same UFC crowd that was there a year ago and 3 years ago. The difference is how much of that crowd actually starting to get into it. It's better but not much more different.
That's kind of the point though. It's the same group that was there a year ago and three years ago.

I remember when Floyd KOd Ricky Hatton from his "check hook" and how every single poster on the board thought it was some super awesome super secret weapon, when all it really was was a hook thrown while taking a step back.

Let's be honest, the majority of UFC fans know the difference between an armbar and a triangle. The majority of UFC fans know the difference between an RNC and a guillotine. They aren't all blackbelts of course, and most probably don't participate in any sort of martial art, but they understand the basics of the ground game I think.

I imagine that quite a few people would have to appreciate the support in some form or they wouldn't drop all that money on a ticket.
codeman99998 is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #40
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe the great
So was the purse altered if they fought differently?
For Shaw the money was paid to one fighter if he didn't exploit the others weakness (well, biggest weakness)

In most orgs, bonuses are paid for putting on superlative performances of all sorts.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2008, 08:41 PM   #41
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomicideHenry
these boxing scumbags?
White is a FAILED boxing scumbag
Polymath is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #42
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Guida has won at least 2 fight of the nights, that took place nearly entirely on the ground, mostly wrestling, and mostly in the guard.

Dana was happy as a clam after the Cummo Stevenson TUF finale, again, all ground fighting,so was the crowd. And that was a few years ago and it has only gotten better, the crowds are learning.

The crowd cheers takedowns when they think their fighter is better on the ground, the crowd cheers submission escapes. Miguel Torres gets cheered for PULLING GUARD, Faber gets cheered for taking down peope, the crowd gets excited when Faber starts to hook up a guillotine and then there is a collective breath out when its escaped.

The old sterotypes are no longer true. This isn't just at UFC events either.

Couture vs Syvlia for a PRIME example.

Bottom ****ing line, name me one fight where Zuffa paid somebody to not take the other guy to the ground, name one.
Couture-Sylvia thats so true and the perfect example of what your saying. The fans where obviously smart enough to know Randy Couture does best and whenever he secured a takedown the crowd went insane out of there damn minds. You brought up Stevenson-Cummo how about Herman-Grove ? Dana called that Forrest-Stephan on the ground and the crowd was on its feet most of the fight. This arguement shouldnt even be taking place trust me if fans didnt like ground fighting they would just watch other combat sports its not like there is no other option. Sure they boo the crowd occasionally but when nothings occuring same with the standup look at Eastman-Lutter and other fights. People wanna see a MMA fight not 2 guys circling each other on the feet or running away like Starnes vs Quarry and they dont wanna see a guy get guard and just break the posture and keep him close and not do anywork whats so ever.
jimmie is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2008, 10:12 PM   #43
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman99998
That's kind of the point though. It's the same group that was there a year ago and three years ago.

I remember when Floyd KOd Ricky Hatton from his "check hook" and how every single poster on the board thought it was some super awesome super secret weapon, when all it really was was a hook thrown while taking a step back.

Let's be honest, the majority of UFC fans know the difference between an armbar and a triangle. The majority of UFC fans know the difference between an RNC and a guillotine. They aren't all blackbelts of course, and most probably don't participate in any sort of martial art, but they understand the basics of the ground game I think.

I imagine that quite a few people would have to appreciate the support in some form or they wouldn't drop all that money on a ticket.
Not when it comes to straight up BJJ game. The crowd IS better but not much different than before. They still boo when there's technical BJJ goin on the ground. Again, taking down opponents don't count, it's flashy move that people percieve as exciting while there isn't really much pain come from it.
Yes, im exagerating when i say the dont know the difference between triangle and an armbar, but most people wouldn't know a difference between a keylock/americana/kimura. We have people come to BJJ club who've been fans of the UFC for couple of years don't know the difference. Once it comes to moves that are rarely used they don't know jack squat. When it comes to very technical transitions and just plain ground game they hardly know anything and start to boo. It's FACT. Like i said, prime example was one of the Sanches' fights (i really can't remember who he fought) but Sanches was showing some sick, slick transitions and crowd started to boo while everyone on my crib were excited about some of immense talent he was showing.
I don't care how much u love UFC, but the crowd is still the same. Majority are nothin but fanboys who don't know all the aspects of the sport. Majority come there to see someone get ****ed up while they're getting hammered on beer.

It will get better in few years but sadly enough it is no good right now.
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #44
thebrodstar
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I have never hated Dana, I always liked the fact that he does a lot of business out in the open and I also like how he runs the UFC. The guy possibly has the coolest job in the world and I think everyone hates him just because he is very very very very outspoken...... very lol.

I never hate anyone though........ Except those Shaw assholes, I definitely have a borderline hate for them.
thebrodstar is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2008, 11:32 PM   #45
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrodstar
I have never hated Dana, I always liked the fact that he does a lot of business out in the open and I also like how he runs the UFC. The guy possibly has the coolest job in the world and I think everyone hates him just because he is very very very very outspoken...... very lol.
He's an attention whore, he's viciousboxer all grown up and rich as ****. Other than that he's been great for the sport. Dunno if he is anymore, but he brough this sport to its feet.
ufoalf is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum