Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 11:33 PM   #46
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 4,063
vCash: 3450
Default Re: Dana on Kimbo's fights "special" rules

when you see an interview like that and how fired up he is and how he takes this so seriously it's more then just the money for him. He really does love the sport weather you hate him or not, like he said he took the UFC from almost being extinct to what it is today and it's hard for him to watch other org's come in and give a black eye to the sport.
AJAX is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2008, 07:41 AM   #47
chuffy
ESB Hall Of Fame Member
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ESB Stalwart
Posts: 1,259
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dana on Kimbo's fights "special" rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX
when you see an interview like that and how fired up he is and how he takes this so seriously it's more then just the money for him. He really does love the sport weather you hate him or not, like he said he took the UFC from almost being extinct to what it is today and it's hard for him to watch other org's come in and give a black eye to the sport.
chuffy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:27 PM   #48
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gay St Pierre
Posts: 8,187
vCash: 75
Default Re: Dana on Kimbo's fights "special" rules

dana is a dick
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #49
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Northwoods of Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 1,455
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dana on Kimbo's fights "special" rules

The distinction is that UFC gives an equal bonus for submission of the night so that there's only a drive to finish the fight, not necessarily to do it standing up. White is an attention whore but he's good for the sport and in this case he's 100% right.
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:31 PM   #50
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,328
vCash: 500
Default Re: Dana on Kimbo's fights "special" rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm
The distinction is that UFC gives an equal bonus for submission of the night so that there's only a drive to finish the fight, not necessarily to do it standing up. White is an attention whore but he's good for the sport and in this case he's 100% right.
How?
Polymath is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #51
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,857
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dana on Kimbo's fights "special" rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymath
How?
He successfully runs the greatest MMA organization, one that routinely and consistently brings in more fans of the sport, puts on the best fights and the most good cards a year.

The organization he runs brought us The Ultimate Fighter, which brought in millions of fans and produces top talent for the sport. It was the first organization to enter the cable television market bringing in millions of more fans, providing the best free cards (if you have spike TV) of any MMA organization. The UFC routinely gives fighters hard fights, and we know everyone who is anyone in the UFC earned it legit at some point.

Yes he isn't perfect, and he might be an asshole, but HE runs the UFC and the UFC is totally legit.
codeman99998 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #52
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Da Bafroom brah!
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 75
Default Re: Dana on Kimbo's fights "special" rules

He's good for the UFC, not always good for the sport..

Okay, he's good for the sport in that he promotes aspects of MMA, both submission game and standup game. But he's not necessarily good for MMA when it comes to matchups and monopolizing fighters.
Koa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #53
Suge Green
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: OnTheGrind Boxing Radio Is Uncut & Uncensored & LIVE
Posts: 3,843
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dana on Kimbo's fights "special" rules

Everyone is up in arms...

Nobody complained when this time of backroom dealing brought us the Cung Le vs Frank Shamrock bout, that obviously was supposed to stay standing up.

F*ck, at the end of the fight Cung even thanked Frank for keeping his word.

Note to White...when you place a bet you always have to account for the corruption factor.

...and I didn't have Ortiz beating Belfort, I had it 2-1 Vitor...I can see a draw, but Dana and Tito were still bed buddies then...so that kind of coruption abviously doesn't count either.

Dana White is just as corrupt as anyone else.
Suge Green is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:12 PM   #54
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,121
vCash: 1493
Default Re: Dana on Kimbo's fights "special" rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suge White
Everyone is up in arms...

Nobody complained when this time of backroom dealing brought us the Cung Le vs Frank Shamrock bout, that obviously was supposed to stay standing up.

F*ck, at the end of the fight Cung even thanked Frank for keeping his word.

Note to White...when you place a bet you always have to account for the corruption factor.

...and I didn't have Ortiz beating Belfort, I had it 2-1 Vitor...I can see a draw, but Dana and Tito were still bed buddies then...so that kind of coruption abviously doesn't count either.

Dana White is just as corrupt as anyone else.
To be fair to Cung, I think that was between fighters, not dictated by the promoter to help one fighter; also due to the fact that Frank's knees are so bad and he says he practiced shooting double leg takedowns in years, Frank probably had little faith in his ability to secure the takedown.

The Tito-Vitor fight was razor thin, not corrupt.
Beebs is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #55
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,328
vCash: 500
Default Re: Dana on Kimbo's fights "special" rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman99998
He successfully runs the greatest MMA organization, one that routinely and consistently brings in more fans of the sport, puts on the best fights and the most good cards a year.

The organization he runs brought us The Ultimate Fighter, which brought in millions of fans and produces top talent for the sport. It was the first organization to enter the cable television market bringing in millions of more fans, providing the best free cards (if you have spike TV) of any MMA organization. The UFC routinely gives fighters hard fights, and we know everyone who is anyone in the UFC earned it legit at some point.

Yes he isn't perfect, and he might be an asshole, but HE runs the UFC and the UFC is totally legit.
There are tons of people who could do his job. I hear this 'he's good for the sport' all the time and wonder if people are just repeating something they've heard elsewhere. I think you are . Not that he's evil, or any worse or better than your average bloodsucking boxing promoter; but to suggest he personally is the reason for the UFC's success, or that a lot of other people couldn't do a similar or better job is quite inaccurate.
Polymath is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:13 AM   #56
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 4,063
vCash: 3450
Default Re: Dana on Kimbo's fights "special" rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymath
There are tons of people who could do his job. I hear this 'he's good for the sport' all the time and wonder if people are just repeating something they've heard elsewhere. I think you are . Not that he's evil, or any worse or better than your average bloodsucking boxing promoter; but to suggest he personally is the reason for the UFC's success, or that a lot of other people couldn't do a similar or better job is quite inaccurate.
UMMMM NO, the proof is in the pudding, it's not by accident IFL ,bodog and even the great Pride failed , Dream is not doing that good either.and Elite XC is way in debt and banking on Kimbo as their savior. You must be very ignorant and hate on him so much to turn a blind eye what he has done and will keep doing.
AJAX is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:06 AM   #57
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Da Bafroom brah!
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 75
Default Re: Dana on Kimbo's fights "special" rules

Well, Dana hasn't quite helped the situation with some orgs, as he likes to time UFC events with theirs. Its not always a matter of respecting the sport, it becomes a matter of survival because of the business games that are played. Dana White is a bit predatory when it comes to competing with other organizations.

Pride ****ed themselves over when they became involved with the Yakuza, but they weren't so much trying to push Dana and the UFC into the deep end, it was more like they welcomed Dana and some of his fighters into pride to compete, in order to let the fighters speak for their own organization, something Dana White seems desperately afraid to do, he even goes so far as insulting MMA legends such as Fedor, and dragging other MMA legends such as Couture's names though the mud, rather than letting his fighters represent the UFC in another venue the same way Pride let Liddel compete in theirs.

If it were the organization of Pride competing, it really would be about who is the best on the planet as far as matchups. What actually takes place in the ring? Well I don't always think Pride was trustworthy there.
Koa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:28 AM   #58
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,025
vCash: 800
Default Re: Dana on Kimbo's fights "special" rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tko4
Dana vs. Shaw. I'd pay 40 bucks to watch Dana stomp a mudhole in that fat turd.
Forget that shit..How bout Dana vs. Kimbo...afterall Kimbo sucks...Id pay more than $40
chimba is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:35 AM   #59
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,857
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dana on Kimbo's fights "special" rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymath
There are tons of people who could do his job. I hear this 'he's good for the sport' all the time and wonder if people are just repeating something they've heard elsewhere. I think you are . Not that he's evil, or any worse or better than your average bloodsucking boxing promoter; but to suggest he personally is the reason for the UFC's success, or that a lot of other people couldn't do a similar or better job is quite inaccurate.
I GUESS I am just repeating some things that I've heard elsewhere. I mean...

I've heard Fedor is the #1 fighter in the world also. I've also heard that Couture is fighting Brock Lesnar next. I've heard that Royce Gracie won the first UFC event. I've also heard that just because someone else somewhere on the planet thinks the same thing as me, doesn't mean that what I said isn't true.

Not to take too sarcastic of a tone though. You are right, Dana White may not be personally responsible for ALL of the UFC's success, and maybe other's could do a better job. But it seems like there is no question that Dana has done a very good job, even if imperfect and even if others could do better. The UFCs accomplishments are not small, and not ANYONE could have gotten TUF, or basic cable free fights like Dana did. He's definitely a bit scummy, especially when it comes to discrediting non-UFC fighters and offering less than stellar pay for top fighters. I still think he is the proven best in the business at what he does, and certainly lightyears beyond Gary Shaw in terms of success in MMA, clean-dealing, and possessing an actual love of the sport.
codeman99998 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:35 AM   #60
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,025
vCash: 800
Default Re: Dana on Kimbo's fights "special" rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX
UMMMM NO, the proof is in the pudding, it's not by accident IFL ,bodog and even the great Pride failed , Dream is not doing that good either.and Elite XC is way in debt and banking on Kimbo as their savior. You must be very ignorant and hate on him so much to turn a blind eye what he has done and will keep doing.
I think Polymath is right... there are alot of guys who can do Danas job..Dana is savvy, hes a hustler and God bless him..hes a great saleman with good mic skills.. He talks like one of us ..a guy who downs a six pack..one of the boys..people can relate to him and he knows what people wants...hes got the street/blue collar persona..down pat

But when you have a Billionaire "friend" who has unlimited blank checks...then you become alot smarter...

Danas not stupid thats for sure..hes smart...but there are guys as smart or smarter but not as lucky...he is lucky..very lucky...

Last edited by chimba; 10-15-2008 at 10:46 AM.
chimba is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013