Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Does anyone question the validity of Chagaev pulling out so far from the fight date?

This is the second of August, and the fight is mid October. And instead of giving a bit of time to see if Chagaev can get over this stomach ailment, and at the very least, them postpone the long awaited unifiying fight, they sock Holyfield in there faster than you can say well f*ck me running.

After all the hype and bragging over finally putting together the first unifying fight in 8 years, and how much heavyweight boxing needed it, don't you think they were extremely quick in calling it off, when the fight is still so far off? I don't even think that Chag's training has started, cause the fight is still about 11 weeks away, yet they call it off immediately.

I think there is something else that has happened. The stomach ailment don't sound like reason to stop a fight this long before the date, especially after all the hoopla over finally setting this long awaited fight up.
Heavyrighthand is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
geppy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2166
Default Re: Does anyone question the validity of Chagaev pulling out so far from the fight date?

That is just great, christ. Chagaev better have a good reason! Chagaev is going to get Holyfield killled. It will be his fault!
geppy is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
Sweet Scientist
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Does anyone question the validity of Chagaev pulling out so far from the fight date?

I agree with you 100% Heavyrighthand. Something is definitely rotten in Denmark...or Moscow, really, I suppose.
Sweet Scientist is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Probably a pay off to get Holyfield in position.
Marnoff is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
KO byBRIGGS
Making a comeback
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

I hadnt really thought about it but you are right it is a long way off and no one has even mentioned this until now. Holyfield was in there before we even knew the other fight was cancelled. What could be so bad they couldnt even postpone the unification? it would have to be something like shoulder surgery on a rotator cuff, anything else he should have been able to fight even if at a later date.
KO byBRIGGS is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
Burundanga
Renaissance Man
ESB Jr Member

If this "stomach ailment" is anything short of cancer, then it is just a $ play by Holy, Chag and the WBO.
Burundanga is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #7
RUSKULL
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 2811

Smells like bullshit to me.

Unification sound nice 'n all but Holyfield brings the money & somehow, somewhere, somebody got paid off. Ruslan's replacement being announced as Holyfield being done so quickly also reeks of avoiding a second unification option against Wlad Klitschko. Also, very sad.

Regardless, seems like a decent matchup & hopefully whoever wins tries to unify immediately following this shit-show.
RUSKULL is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Can you say payoff?
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 04:45 PM   #9
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Think it's a bit of a "I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine" kinda favour? Someone's pulled a few strings?

Holyfield's leapfrogged a lot of guys ahead of him in the WBO rankings to be awarded this shot, without beating anyone in their top 15...
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #10
Bazooka
Pimp C Wants 2 Be Me
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyrighthand
This is the second of August, and the fight is mid October. And instead of giving a bit of time to see if Chagaev can get over this stomach ailment, and at the very least, them postpone the long awaited unifiying fight, they sock Holyfield in there faster than you can say well f*ck me running.

After all the hype and bragging over finally putting together the first unifying fight in 8 years, and how much heavyweight boxing needed it, don't you think they were extremely quick in calling it off, when the fight is still so far off? I don't even think that Chag's training has started, cause the fight is still about 11 weeks away, yet they call it off immediately.

I think there is something else that has happened. The stomach ailment don't sound like reason to stop a fight this long before the date, especially after all the hoopla over finally setting this long awaited fight up.
This more than likely has to do with the fact of public intrest, nobody was blowing up the boards about this fight so more than likely it would have been a huge Flop in terms of money.
Put Holyfield in there and look at the forums, its a bigger fight and people tune in, that is the nature of the sport, put asses in the seats and sell PPV hook ups.
Bazooka is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
Bazooka
Pimp C Wants 2 Be Me
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD
Think it's a bit of a "I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine" kinda favour? Someone's pulled a few strings?

Holyfield's leapfrogged a lot of guys ahead of him in the WBO rankings to be awarded this shot, without beating anyone in their top 15...
When he fought Oquendo, Fres at that time was ranked #13
Bazooka is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #12
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Does anyone question the validity of Chagaev pulling out so far from the fight da

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyrighthand

Stomach ailment? Sounds fishy indeed!

Who knows? He may have received an offer to face Wlad,or an financially attractive offer to fight Valuev in a rematch.

Damn! I would have bet my money on Chagaev against the slightly overrated Sultan Ibragimov.
Odo is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #13
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

You make it sound like he's set to go to a birthday party and can "wait" to see if the illness isn't as serious as they probably think then they'll cancel. He's set to fight in a championship boxing FIGHT and can get killed in there if he isn't above 100%.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 05:13 PM   #14
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

But it's about 2 and a half months off. They can't afford even a few extra days at this point in time? It's not like it's due in a fortnight or something.
I appreciate needing to be 100% but this is quite a way out...

I would be interested in hearing from Chagaev about all this.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #15
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Well, a pay off might be what happened.
Holyfield's camp bought Chagaev to step aside.

Then again, nobody really knows.
Chagaev might be actually seriously sick, or he might have developed alcoholism or a heroin addiction, or he just found God , or just found out he's a woman trapped in a man's body.

There's a load of reasons that might cause a guy to pull out of a fight.
Unforgiven is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum