Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #46
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Knowing what we know, would you pick a PEAK Dempsey to beat Tunney?

I read an article years ago which quoted Tunneys trainer. He felt that the Tunney of fight 1 would have beaten any hwt in boxing history. My dad lived in the area in Pennsylvania where Tunney trained for fight one and he told me he watched him daily running around a huge lake both forward and backward 10 miles or more. Gene was fit to fight anyone going into that first bout.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #47
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Or was gene the man?
Dempsey’s peak was short. Fans are captivated by Dempsey’s performance vs. Willard, Firpo, and Fulton, but these three were made to order for Dempsey based on styles meaning they were not going to run.

When Dempsey fought a smaller / mobile men with skill he did not always shine. He had a moment or two when he looked suspect vs. Carpentier, and failed to finish Gibbons. He drew one with Miske when Miske was in his prime, had problems with Meehan in short fights, dropping a decision. Dempsey was perhaps behind a little vs. Brennan in a title fight. Brennan was not an elite level opponent.

Tunney was better than any of these guys. He had a great chin, could box and move all night, fought smart, and had a very good jab. I like Tunney here via an earned, albeit unpopular “ Hagler vs. Leonard “ type of decision where he out lands, and out maneuvers Dempsey.

Dempsey was a front runner / whirlwind type. If he didn’t get you before round seven, the odds of it going the distance were good. Yeah—this is a bit of a knock on Dempsey’s long term stamina.

Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #48
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUDINI View Post
I read an article years ago which quoted Tunneys trainer. He felt that the Tunney of fight 1 would have beaten any hwt in boxing history. My dad lived in the area in Pennsylvania where Tunney trained for fight one and he told me he watched him daily running around a huge lake both forward and backward 10 miles or more. Gene was fit to fight anyone going into that first bout.
H, good analysis on Gene Tunney. While I still think the prime Dempsey gets to Tunney sooner or later, Tunney might have beaten most any heavyweight in history when he retired...The way he clobbered Tom Heeney in his last bout was a revelation... Tunney was just as effective as Ali, minus the glitz and showmanship...All business...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #49
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 168

Somewhat difficult to say...I haven't studied Tunney that much, but have to say that Tunney lived and breathed on fighting and beating Jack Dempsey...But with that said, I think a prime Jack Dempsey would eventually catch Tunney and take him out in a classic. Dempsey is the pick here...the way past prime version almost pulled the trick in the second fight between the two...so not a huge stretch.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 02:18 AM   #50
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Tunney's jab would always land before Dempsey's left hook and he'd always be able to slip the left hook and bang the counter right down the pipe
Yeah Tunney would be able to land the jab just before a prime Dempseys left hook just like in the second fight against an old 3 year off Dempsey....

Last edited by Theron; 12-18-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Theron is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum