Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-21-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
iksrtfo
Jedi Knight of Poon

vCash: 1000
Default Fighting real tall fighters

I have only been back in the gym a few weeks and con not perform as well as I did before. I have been sparring a tall guy who is not as good as me techiniqely
but beats me because he is 6'2 and I am 5'7. I can't get past his jab. I used to steam roll over him by slipping and rolling his jab but I can't move that well yet.
My question is what should I be doing while on the outside? I don't want to just wait for him to throw a jab. I can't land anything from the outside.
iksrtfo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Fighting real tall fighters

I don't know if your any good at blocking or parrying jabs, but if you are, what I usualy do is do that and quickly throw my jab and duck while taking a step in, just incase a second jab is coming. Be careful of his uppercut though.
Bill1234 is online now  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
Dennis
Gym Rat
ESB Jr Member

If you really can't get inside maybe you should lure him into throwing a power punch, make him miss, and counter. If you can't get on the inside, make the inside come to you. Or maybe you could get him to think he's pushing you back. Make him follow you to the ropes and once you're there and he's with you, still thinking he's the one that got you against the ropes (that makes him confident and will make him get closer to you)..step around him and push him towards the rope a little from the side with one hand...You know what move I mean right? I think Mosley did it to Collazo a few times. Then you got him with his back against the ropes, which will make pressuring him a little easier AND you'll immediatly be closer to him right after you pull off that move.
Dennis is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2007, 10:38 PM   #4
swizzle

use the most underated weapon in all the universe...the feint...i dont want to give too much away but let me just say you can knock a guy out with one of those
swizzle is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2007, 11:25 PM   #5
sdsfinest22
Pound 4 Pound
East Side VIP

GET OVER THE JAB IF U CAN BU
T IF NOT THAN COME UNDER IT...
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle
use the most underated weapon in all the universe...the feint...i dont want to give too much away but let me just say you can knock a guy out with one of those
sdsfinest22 is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #6
fernando4cv3
Journeyman

try moving in and out of range while throwing jabs while going under his. dont let him control the fight which would be easy to do so with his size. keep working on slipping the jab very useful obvisiouly
fernando4cv3 is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
Jennifer Love Hewitt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrtfo View Post
My question is what should I be doing while on the outside? I don't want to just wait for him to throw a jab. I can't land anything from the outside.
There's a couple of things you can do:

When you are on the outside, you should be further a way then that, If he's in perfect jabbing range, that means he can hit you, you can't hit him. That's bad for you.
You either want to be in your punching range, or in nobodies punching range. Stay far away and make him chase you a bit. Make him over commit. Then come in and attack. Paw his hand down, and come right over it. Be sure to use angles. Unleash combos when you are in close.

This next one will sound dumb, but it works. I am assuming you are bot conventional stances. Step over to your right (his left). Throw a jab at his elbow. The outside of his elbow, not the inside. I know that sounds dumb, just try it. This should sort of disrupt him his jab enough for you to lunge in and throw an overhand right. If He's tall he may try to lean back away from this as he turns, don't worry about that because he's no in no position to punch you. So if that right hand does not quite hit, the follow up left hooks to his chest/head will. End your combo with a nice right hand to his ribs. (Try not to hit him in the back, but heck, if he turns that way it's his fault... he will turn that way)
Jennifer Love Hewitt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing