Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-19-2008, 01:05 AM   #1
Rui
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default So where does Hopkins rank now all-time?

Does he climb into your top 50? Not only did he defeat the 4-1 favorite in Pavlik, but I had him winning every single round. A victory even more impressive than Hopkins' knockout over Trinidad in my opinion.
Rui is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2008, 01:14 AM   #2
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: So where does Hopkins rank now all-time?

He's sure in my top 50.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2008, 01:26 AM   #3
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

What a fantastic performance, winning would be great enough but to totally dominate - WOW!

Last edited by JohnThomas1; 10-19-2008 at 01:47 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:44 AM   #4
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Having Hopkin's outside of your top 50 is insanity in my opinion.

If he wins his next big fight, potentially against the winner of RJJ/Calzaghe, he'll shoot up even more.

It's going to be interesting, the Jones/Joe match. If Jones win he conclusively shows he's improved over the last few years, which nullifies a Hopkin's win over Jones being "useless".

And on Jones, he's seemingly learned from his two knockout losses and adapted a new style around his remaining strengths... High guard, more ring smarts, and so on.

And if Hopkin's beat Calzaghe in a return match, well...

Either way, Bernard has a chance to become over greater now.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2008, 02:18 AM   #5
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I have the funny feeling Jones is going to get beaten. Hopkins has showed all along he still has it, Jones is a long way from convincing me.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:25 AM   #6
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Having Hopkin's outside of your top 50 is insanity in my opinion.

If he wins his next big fight, potentially against the winner of RJJ/Calzaghe, he'll shoot up even more.

It's going to be interesting, the Jones/Joe match. If Jones win he conclusively shows he's improved over the last few years, which nullifies a Hopkin's win over Jones being "useless".

And on Jones, he's seemingly learned from his two knockout losses and adapted a new style around his remaining strengths... High guard, more ring smarts, and so on.

And if Hopkin's beat Calzaghe in a return match, well...

Either way, Bernard has a chance to become over greater now.
Right now, I think Hopkins has to go down as a better fighter than Roy. Even though Roy beat him way back when they were proverbial kids, Hops has come off far better vs. common opponents with Roy and has much more impressive achievements IMO.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2008, 02:27 AM   #7
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense
Right now, I think Hopkins has to go down as a better fighter than Roy. Even though Roy beat him way back when they were proverbial kids, Hops has come off far better vs. common opponents with Roy and has much more impressive achievements IMO.
I agree completely.

It'd be nice to see Roy vs. Hopkin's again if only to see how they've both changed with age... But eh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
I have the funny feeling Jones is going to get beaten. Hopkins has showed all along he still has it, Jones is a long way from convincing me.
Yeah. Favoring Calzaghe quite a bit myself.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2008, 02:32 AM   #8
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

EASILY top 50. He went undefeated and reigned over the middleweight division for over a decade, won the light heavyweight title at over 40 years of age, and, now well on the darker side of 40, has beaten two of boxing's pound-for-pound elites (Wright and Pavlik), and arguably beat the man who many consider world's pound-for-pound #1 (Calzaghe). Aside from Archie Moore, Hopkins is the best over-40 fighter in the history of professional boxing. His sum career resume (wins over De La Hoya, Trinidad, Tarver, Wright, Pavlik, etc.) is outstanding, his longevity is nigh unheard of, and the only clear-cut loss of his entire career was to a prime Roy Jones Jr.; if he were a judges'-darling like an Ali, he could be 54-1 right now. Hopkins may be the greatest fighter of his generation, and is without the slightest doubt one of the top 50 of the gloved era, in my estimation.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2008, 02:33 AM   #9
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

I think people are getting carried away with this win already.

It was sensational, it was dominant, it was unexpected but it remains to be seen what this win really means.

Pavlik has had a short and relatively meaningless reign at middleweight and he may not go on to do great things. He may never have any impact out of middleweight nor even go down as an ATG fighter there.
Somebody was going to do this to Pavlik one day..I mean really.

But massive props to Bernard, he continues to cement his greatness.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2008, 02:36 AM   #10
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Hopkins greatness was "cemented" a long time ago. He's now adding to it.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:39 AM   #11
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Hopkins greatness was "cemented" a long time ago. He's now adding to it.

True. Even I'd admit that. But Jones faces a far superior opponent than Hopkins did.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2008, 02:44 AM   #12
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano Frazier
EASILY top 50. He went undefeated and reigned over the middleweight division for over a decade, won the light heavyweight title at over 40 years of age, and, now well on the darker side of 40, has beaten two of boxing's pound-for-pound elites (Wright and Pavlik), and arguably beat the man who many consider world's pound-for-pound #1 (Calzaghe). Aside from Archie Moore, Hopkins is the best over-40 fighter in the history of professional boxing. His sum career resume (wins over De La Hoya, Trinidad, Tarver, Wright, Pavlik, etc.) is outstanding, his longevity is nigh unheard of, and the only clear-cut loss of his entire career was to a prime Roy Jones Jr.; if he were a judges'-darling like an Ali, he could be 54-1 right now. Hopkins may be the greatest fighter of his generation, and is without the slightest doubt one of the top 50 of the gloved era, in my estimation.
Great post.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:45 AM   #13
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Coming from a massive Hopkins fan, Jones is still greater, but I think B-Hop is a guaranteed top 50 now IMO. To outclass a world class and truly elite level fighter at age 43 is phenomenal. This is perhaps my favorite moment I've ever had in boxing.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2008, 02:48 AM   #14
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
True. Even I'd admit that. But Jones faces a far superior opponent than Hopkins did.
Not many considered him "far" superior 2 hours ago. Not at all. Many will now take down Pavlik as best they can and minimise Hopkins achievement. Didn't see barely anyone taking Hopkins pre fight tho. To be honest i reckon Jones might have more hope of beating Caz than Pavlik, Pavlik would get to his chin as Roy's no longer the defensive wizard Hopkins showed he is today and Pav carries big power. At least Jones has a pretty ordinary hitter to fight power wise, one that might not be able to get to his biggest post prime weakness. Fantastic clinic by Hopkins today.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:56 AM   #15
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Not many considered him "far" superior 2 hours ago. Not at all. Many will now take down Pavlik as best they can and minimise Hopkins achievement. Didn't see barely anyone taking Hopkins pre fight tho. To be honest i reckon Jones might have more hope of beating Caz than Pavlik, Pavlik would get to his chin as Roy's no longer the defensive wizard Hopkins showed he is today and Pav carries big power. At least Jones has a pretty ordinary hitter to fight power wise, one that might not be able to get to his biggest post prime weakness. Fantastic clinic by Hopkins today.

Didn't they? Yanks maybe. Oh, and don't you think they'll knock Calzaghe down a peg or two if he loses to Jones? And so they should.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum