Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-19-2008, 09:24 AM   #46
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: So where does Hopkins rank now all-time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
I agree. I did not see the match, but I am very surprised by a wide decison win for Hopkins. What happened here? Did Hopkins hurt Pavlik and make him gun shy?

I have Hopkins in my top 10 at middle. If I had a top 50 p4p, Hopkins would make the cut.
He took his jab away using backward motion, used angles. He did hurt him in round 3 and I think 7 (could have been and 12.

I had Hopkins winning every round, 2 rounds to Pavlik is generous. It was a masterclass for a 43yo
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #47
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher
Actually all of the Classic forum were over Pavlik like a rash including Suzie Q and MEndoza, but you all made about 3-5 threads about him being the next great middleweight after Locket.

In fairness he is the man at 160 and only Abraham and Williams looks likely to challenge him
Not me mate, I've always been suspect about Pavlik and his limitations.

Here are my thoughts prior to the fight:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Quote:
I picked Pavlik solely because I though Hopkins had lost his legs and could only throw 10 shots a round, while Pavlik throws 90 shots a round.
I myself thought that Pavlik's workrate would keep him in the fight, but it's amazing what a moving target can do to bring down a fighter's punch output. A lesson we should not forget.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #48
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
Not me mate, I've always been suspect about Pavlik and his limitations.

Here are my thoughts prior to the fight:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I myself thought that Pavlik's workrate would keep him in the fight, but it's amazing what a moving target can do to bring down a fighter's punch output. A lesson we should not forget.
I initially saw Pavlik as limited and actually had him losing to Taylor 7-5 in the rematch. Sometimes when you hear nothing but good stuff from boxing fans you start to question your eyes and look for the strengths ignoring the weaknesses.

In Pavlik's defense that was a masterful performance and if he stayed at 160 his none stop attack and solid tight 1-2 would have been enough to dominate for a long time

Hopkins can clearly throw more per round against an open target, and I didn't think he could be that active anymore.

But remember if Hopkins was throwing 10 shots a round he would have lost a very close decision, I also saw Pavlik being more affective at jabbing and working the body, which I thought would happen
Old 10-19-2008, 09:55 AM   #49
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

I just want to add that Hopkins does impress me a lot. It seems that every time I mention him I have something negative to say and I come off looking the cunt.

He deserves massive credit for continuing to do what he does. I want to emphasise that.

I think some of his fans go overboard (whose fans don't?) and make more of him that what he is (and what he was in his prime) and that makes me a bit counterattacking but one can't deny the excellent level he has maintained for many, many years. On the longevity criterion, he gets an A+ from me
Old 10-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #50
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher
I initially saw Pavlik as limited and actually had him losing to Taylor 7-5 in the rematch. Sometimes when you hear nothing but good stuff from boxing fans you start to question your eyes and look for the strengths ignoring the weaknesses.

In Pavlik's defense that was a masterful performance and if he stayed at 160 his none stop attack and solid tight 1-2 would have been enough to dominate for a long time

Hopkins can clearly throw more per round against an open target, and I didn't think he could be that active anymore.

But remember if Hopkins was throwing 10 shots a round he would have lost a very close decision, I also saw Pavlik being more affective at jabbing and working the body, which I thought would happen
It was a very similar performance to the Tarver fight.

At 160 I think Hopkins was fighting a little drained against Jermain and was probably intimidated by Taylor's speed so he fought cautious (twice) but when he moved to lightheavy and whipped Tarver it was obvious that he could still let his hands go.

In his last couple of fights he's dealt with some cagey customers in Winky and Joe, so he was a little more circumspect, but he was out and out hitting the bag tonight
Old 10-19-2008, 10:38 AM   #51
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

He's now "cemented" in my top 50 as well. Great stuff last night from the old master, as clueless as Pavlik was.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #52
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

I don't do lists usually. But I can't see how Hopkins is at least 20 places behind someone like Hagler. When looking at their careers Hopkins surely has credentials as impressive as Hagler. I can't see where Hagler's reign of 12 defenses and the quality he fought outdoes Hopkins' resume, longevity, moving up in weight, etc, by a far distance.

This isn't who's the greatest middleweight, but 'pound for pound'. Hagler was taken the distance by Duran when close to his prime and was beaten by Leonard, although controversially. And Hagler walked away from the sport after losing to Leonard. Hopkins' back to back defeats to Taylor at 40 would have been enough for many to walk away.

I just can't see how Hagler can be rated above Hopkins when weighing everything up and balancing things out across the board.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2008, 11:51 AM   #53
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Two consecutive weekends, one old, excellent fighter is the underdog because of age against a younger opponent, and on both occasions, the older fighter not just won but completely outclassed his opponent. Fighters age much slower these days than fifty years ago, when you typically were washed up by 30.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #54
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

I think that Hopkins now clearly rates above Carlos Monzon and Marvin Hagler.

Yes I said it.

Like with many great champions late in their careers his oponents are still active and adding to their own legacies. This in will raise Hopkins currency further.
janitor is online now  Top
Old 10-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #55
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Robbi
I don't do lists usually. But I can't see how Hopkins is at least 20 places behind someone like Hagler. When looking at their careers Hopkins surely has credentials as impressive as Hagler. I can't see where Hagler's reign of 12 defenses and the quality he fought outdoes Hopkins' resume, longevity, moving up in weight, etc, by a far distance.

This isn't who's the greatest middleweight, but 'pound for pound'. Hagler was taken the distance by Duran when close to his prime and was beaten by Leonard, although controversially. And Hagler walked away from the sport after losing to Leonard. Hopkins' back to back defeats to Taylor at 40 would have been enough for many to walk away.

I just can't see how Hagler can be rated above Hopkins when weighing everything up and balancing things out across the board.
I agree with everything here.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #56
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi

Agreed, but I'd go further and rate him above Hagler, better skills, more variety, more strings to his bow and in his prime every bit as good in the trenches. Hagler's great but Hopkins is greater
Old 10-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #57
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
We are in the presence of greatness gentlemen.

Dont wait twenty years to fully apreciate it.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #58
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

So where the Calzaghe rank now given that he beat Hopkins?

Where does he rank if he beats Jones, also?
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #59
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus

Obviously the curency of his win over Hopkins has gone up considerably.

I would not give him much aditional credit for beating Jones because Jones is shot.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #60
Loewe
internet hero
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus

Well, I didn´t think he won but that he had such a close fight with a man like Hopkins elevates his standing quite a bit. Shows what he is capable of. He is not an atg outside of smw at the moment but he also isn´t finished yet.

For Hopkins, I think he should either fight the winner of Calzaghe-Jones or Jermain Taylor at 170 - or he should retire.
Loewe is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum