GEB is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #32
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157
Default Re: EliteXC has folded, no CBS, no ProElite anymore, all fights off

Thanks alot Ken Shamrock. If only he had followed the script and let Kimbo knock him out. . .

I enjoyed the Elite XC shows. The Kimbo portions of the shows were more akin to those with a thug mentality and freakshow sensibilities - but I suppose that's why I enjoyed it.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #33
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino1
Hahahaha I Been Waitin 4 This Thats 4 All The Shit Talkin About Boxing Sayion All This Shit About How Boxing Is Going To Die Hahah Boxing Never Goping To Die Boxing Was The 1 Sport Ever And It Will Be The Last!!!!**** All That Wrestling Shit **** It
You idiot, there have been hundreds of boxing promoters fail. One organization failing due to stupid management is not a reflection on the sport.

MMA as a whole is rapidly rising sponsors are fighting for deals, networks want shows, because it is more popular in the 18-30 year old male market, the most important.

MMA is a growing sport, but it is also an established one, it is not going anywhere but up, it will never completely eliminate boxing, nor should anybody want it to, both sports are great.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #34
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The fight fixing with Kimbo and Seth, and investigation into it by the Florida Commision were the final nail in the coffin in a dieing organization. Bad management was the real killer.

CBS might have bought it had that not happened, and it would have been stripped down and restructred totally and MIGHT have been able to stay alive.

the real reason is simply poor management, as in the guys who do Dana's job for the EliteXC ran a company into the ground in 3 years despite having all the money in the world behind them, connections with both Showtime and CBS, and some very good fighters that put on exciting fights (of course they had to take a back seat to the joke that is Kimbo).

I know I sound like some huge Dana White fan here, but I'm just sick of everybody and their brother thinking that running an MMA business is easy, or that Dana is terrible for MMA, and all the other stupid claims. He does what he does to keep the UFC where it needs to be strategically and long term. He can be petty, but it is usually to prove a point and set a precedent.

Hopefully Shields, Lawler, Diaz, Antonio Silva, KJ Noons, Feijao, and a few others I'm forgetting, find good homes, especially Lawler and Shields; they are now champions of an organization that doesn't exist, and that has to be hard.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2008, 03:07 AM   #35
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebs
...I know I sound like some huge Dana White fan here....

Just messing with ya.
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2008, 11:22 PM   #36
Club Fighter
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: Bronx, New York, USA, North America, Earth, Milky Way
vCash: 1972

Quote:

It's over, and its a disgusting shameful death.

Lost 55 mil in 2 years, made a complete mockery of the sport, broke the law, did everything wrong.

Good job Shaw, good job Showtime, good job CBS.

Tell me again how bad the UFC is and how anybody could do Dana's job.

God ****ing damnit, now I don't get to see Lawler on TV.
The UFC only benefits from brand recognition. Doesn't mean it's a better product or is run "right" or "better" than other organizations. It's just that they were first and they hold colossal pull with the general public by virtue of this as far as MMA is concerned (not to mention they have the money to put obstacles in the path of success for the other organizations). Sheeit, I know people that call MMA "ultimate fighting." They'll say, "Is there 'ultimate fighting' on CBS on Saturday?" The real answer is of course ****in' not but you tell them "Yes" because you know what they mean. It's very difficult if not impossible to supplant or even coexist with the organization that is the face of a particular sport as an upstart organization regardless of the sport. You saw it with the XFL and the NFL, the WNBA and the ABL, the WWE and WCW. It's not an indictment of the upstart organization it's just an acknowledgement that people naturally resist change. So that doesn't mean that Dana is doing something right or knows how to run an organization. He's just in the enviable position of being the 1st and the biggest.

Sheeit, I hope Strikeforce and Affliction manage to stay afloat. Competition is always good for the consumer. A monopoly is nothing more than a dictatorship and around these here parts we prefer democracy.
Club Fighter is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2008, 02:02 AM   #37
cdnboxing
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
You idiot, there have been hundreds of boxing promoters fail. One organization failing due to stupid management is not a reflection on the sport.

MMA as a whole is rapidly rising sponsors are fighting for deals, networks want shows, because it is more popular in the 18-30 year old male market, the most important.

MMA is a growing sport, but it is also an established one, it is not going anywhere but up, it will never completely eliminate boxing, nor should anybody want it to, both sports are great.
MMA is a sport that has grown immensely over the past few years.

But in my opinion dont you find it troublesome that so many MMA organizations not named the UFC tank.

Affliction wont surive, IFL didnt survive and EliteXC now didnt survive.

UFC is synonomous with MMA. UFC=MMA to your casual fan and that will never change. I know people who watch UFC events with me and they never even heard of Fedor.

Right now you have so many people trying to jump on the MMA bandwagon because they think their is money in it. But once they get in it, most of them want out because they realize its not as easy as it looks.
cdnboxing is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2008, 02:05 AM   #38
cdnboxing
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Club Fighter
The UFC only benefits from brand recognition. Doesn't mean it's a better product or is run "right" or "better" than other organizations. It's just that they were first and they hold colossal pull with the general public by virtue of this as far as MMA is concerned (not to mention they have the money to put obstacles in the path of success for the other organizations). Sheeit, I know people that call MMA "ultimate fighting." They'll say, "Is there 'ultimate fighting' on CBS on Saturday?" The real answer is of course ****in' not but you tell them "Yes" because you know what they mean. It's very difficult if not impossible to supplant or even coexist with the organization that is the face of a particular sport as an upstart organization regardless of the sport. You saw it with the XFL and the NFL, the WNBA and the ABL, the WWE and WCW. It's not an indictment of the upstart organization it's just an acknowledgement that people naturally resist change. So that doesn't mean that Dana is doing something right or knows how to run an organization. He's just in the enviable position of being the 1st and the biggest.

Sheeit, I hope Strikeforce and Affliction manage to stay afloat. Competition is always good for the consumer. A monopoly is nothing more than a dictatorship and around these here parts we prefer democracy.
Good point. Without competition were going to be force fed BS main events like Bisping/Evans or Hughes/Gracie. But with competition we get free spike cards like Dana did in response to the Affliction PPV.

The UFC obviously wants a monopoly and they benefit from it but with competition the fans benefit.
cdnboxing is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2008, 05:28 AM   #39
Fedor Em
Enforcement, VRWC style
ESB Addict

When you lose tens of millions a year it is only a matter of time. That is what happens when you televise events with limited fighters. It would be like putting AA baseball on Fox.
Fedor Em is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #40
The Mighty Bolo
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1991
**** me in the ass and call me jake legs
"Jake Legs" I'll pass on the anal, though. You got a sister?
The Mighty Bolo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum