Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-27-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Is Ezzard Charles underrated?

I tend to think he is and he breaks into my top ten heavyweight list more often than not. He was a very small heavyweight and started of as a welterweight in the amatuers. He has wins over Burley, Maxim, Moore, Bivins, Walcott, Louis (an old Louis), Oma and went 15 rounds with Marciano.

Charles was an immensely skilled fighter with sublime defensive abilities. I think he was underrated because he wasn't really an exciting fighter, his skills were so subtle and could only be appreciated by true boxing purists. He perfected the arts of slipping, countering and feinting, these skills weren't flashy but were understated. Many boxing critics of his time swear he was the very best light heavyweight ever.

Is Charles underrated?
Sweet Science is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1031
Default Re: Is Ezzard Charles underrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Science

Is Charles underrated?
He is an example on the classic forum of an underrated fighter who has had so much written about him and how he is underrated, he is becoming overrated.
TBooze is online now  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I don't think he is underrated at heavyweight I'm a huge Charles fan and would find it hard to put him in my top ten heavyweights. As you rightly said he is normally regarded as the greatest light heavyweight he might be underrated by the general people like his very low ranking ESPN p4p list. But on this website he is probably ranked fairly, most would have him in the top 10 p4p which is where he belongs I believe I have him at 7.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 06:17 PM   #4
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotauro
But on this website he is probably ranked fairly, most would have him in the top 10 p4p which is where he belongs I believe I have him at 7.
He was a Great, but I would not quite put him in my top 10, I have at #17, although to be fair to him he beat Moore and Burley who I have in my top 10, so he does rather well man on man.
TBooze is online now  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
pryorgatti
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ezzard Charles - A feared contender at middleweight and light heavyweight, 'the Cincinnati Cobra' was never given an opportunity to fight for a world title at 175 pounds, so he jumped to heavyweight where he won the vacant NBA title by out-pointing Jersey Joe Walcott. He won the "world" title from an aging, comebacking Joe Louis and eventually defended the title eight times (counting three defenses of the NBA belt). But despite his heavyweight accomplishments, Charles is recognized by most historians as the greatest light heavyweight ever. This is due to his three wins over Archie Moore (one of which was by TKO), two wins over Charley Burley, five wins over Joey Maxim, four wins over Jimmy Bivins (he was 4-1 out of five meetings) and two wins over Lloyd Marshall (he was 2-1 out of three meetings). Charles also gave Rocky Marciano two of the Rock's toughest fights in epic heavyweight title encounters.
pryorgatti is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #6
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
He is an example on the classic forum of an underrated fighter who has had so much written about him and how he is underrated, he is becoming overrated.
Larry Holmes takes the cake here.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:02 PM   #7
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchmoore
Larry Holmes takes the cake here.
I've heard Bill1234 redresses this imbalance.
Sweet Science is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 153

no he's not.
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 07:51 PM   #9
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Definetly Underrated Ezzard Charles. Nobody Really Tooks About Him When They Are Doing There P4p But He Was One Of The Best Ever
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #10
Asterion
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

No, he's not underrated. Except by some people that think that all Old-timers suck.

Charles deserves to be a Top15 Heavyweight of all times. But imo not Top10.
Asterion is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 08:15 PM   #11
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Science
I tend to think he is and he breaks into my top ten heavyweight list more often than not. He was a very small heavyweight and started of as a welterweight in the amatuers. He has wins over Burley, Maxim, Moore, Bivins, Walcott, Louis (an old Louis), Oma and went 15 rounds with Marciano.

Charles was an immensely skilled fighter with sublime defensive abilities. I think he was underrated because he wasn't really an exciting fighter, his skills were so subtle and could only be appreciated by true boxing purists. He perfected the arts of slipping, countering and feinting, these skills weren't flashy but were understated. Many boxing critics of his time swear he was the very best light heavyweight ever.

Is Charles underrated?
P4p He might even be getting to the stage where heis a trifle overated,his reputation has undergone a resurgence of late30 years ago Boxing Illustrated had him and Walcott joint no 10 at Heavy ,Charles was a great LH,but doesnt make my top 10 at Heavy ,I think he gets his dues on this forum.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #12
Asterion
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
What about pound for pound? Or at LHW?

I also rank Charles as a Top15 P4P ever.

Top2 at 175.

But I'm not a fan of Charles at all.
Asterion is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 10:26 PM   #13
Street Lethal
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Seeing how he isn't well known, yes. The man was a light heavyweight who moved up to heavyweight and won the title and defended something like 9 times? Is that right? Damned impressive. Definitely an all time great!
Street Lethal is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 10:48 PM   #14
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Charles defended the title more times than Joe Fraizer, Mike Tyson, Rocky Marciano, Floyed Patterson, Holyfiled and others. Most guys hardly get past 6 or 7. But Charles defended the crown 8 times. At the time, Only Joe Louis and Tommy Burns made more title defenses than Charles.

Also His title defenses are nothing to laugh at, Joe Louis(Yes old) Joe Walcott, and Pat Valntino are pretty good comp. Also he is the ONLY man to take the Rock the entire 15 round route. Some times, I am REAL tempted in putting Charles in the bottom half of the top ten. He did beat better fighters, than Holmes did at least lol.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum