Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-02-2007, 04:13 AM   #1
Sizzle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Difficulty slipping straight punches at mid-range?

Has anyone else had difficulty slipping straight punches (particularly crosses) at mid-range?

I think my reflexes are quite good, I've been boxing for a few months now and my parrying is getting quite good, starting to become autonomous but my mid-range slipping is woeful.

I see the punch coming, but just can't twist my body to the left with great enough efficiency before the punch smacks me in the face.
(And this is with 16 ounce gloves)

Could this be down to my footwork (feet too wide) or perhaps I'm emphasizing the twisting motion too much, trying to set myself up for a counter left hook to the body or head.

I haven't sparred yet BTW this is only in defense practice. Any tips for improving slipping?

Similar situation at close-range - Parrying good, ducking hooks on the inside I'm struggling, I tend to lose my balance and not duck fast/low enough. This is usually with the prick leaning on me and shoving his head in my face like he's Ricky Hatton though.
Sizzle is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
BeGGeRs
god
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1256
Default Re: Difficulty slipping straight punches at mid-range?

drop your right shoulder
BeGGeRs is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 12:33 PM   #3
Sizzle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeGGeRs
drop your right shoulder
For a jab you mean?

But for a cross I'm being taught to twist my body to the left so I slip to the outside of the punch..?
Sizzle is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
Raja510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle
For a jab you mean?

But for a cross I'm being taught to twist my body to the left so I slip to the outside of the punch..?
How is your stance? Are you squared up or sideways? If square you should be able to slip to the left easily since you don't have to twist much. If your sideways. Roll your left shoulder right and tuck your chin behind it. That's usually a quicker motion to do then trying to parry, block or slip to the left if your sideways.

R
Raja510 is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
Pugsley
Fat Bastard
ESB Full Member

Sometimes that Straight Right is a matter of timing. The cross is actually more dangerous the further you get away from it. When it comes out, you see it more easily than the jab, but because it is slow-er it can curve shot and track its way to your head like a homing missile. You may have to wait just that little bit more before slipping it.
My only presumption is that your feet are not in the correct position, you are probably standing too parallel and it means you have to move even further to get to the outside of the cross. You should square up a little more and try to tilt your shoulders MORE, than actually relying on the twist. This also means once you're on the outside, you're in a better position to counter with both hands.
Based on what you've described I think it is most likely a footwork problem.
Pugsley is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2007, 03:21 PM   #6
pit
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle
For a jab you mean?

twist your body to the left ??

you should be bending your knees dipping to your left and toward your opponent if done correctly the shout should glide over your left shoulder and put into a position for a left hook to the body , and until you get your timing down correctly user your left hand to slightly defect the punch to your right..
and another thing Id like to point out , the fact that your getting hit smack in the face by the right hand tell me you carry your left way too low, if your an armature you should be touching the upper left side your forehead just out side your eyebrow with your left every so often to a sure your left is where it should be.
pit is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
CMBoxer
Journeyman

Provide a video clip to properly examine it. But here is a few. Whenever you duck or slip, you're heel from you're rear leg should be slightly raised to allow faster ducking and slipping. When you slip, drop you're body a bit to make the punch miss. Slipping takes time to practice. In addition, you don't slip punches everytime. You slip a punch when you're body feels it.
CMBoxer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing