Old 10-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #76
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes vs Ezzard Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL
HMMMM! Not sure about Charles being greater than Spinks....... Michael Spinks is GREAT! He had tools and power at 175 and at 200 pounds... Charles is great, as well. But I think Spinks' power would've commanded respect from Ezzard Charles in a time machine.... NOBODY walks through Michael Spinks at 175 pounds... That goes for "Moore & Foster" too... Spinks was the goods......

MR.BILL
Spinks is great but Charles is greater his resume proves it and his power is at least on par with Spinks. Ezzard in his prime could really hit it was only after he killed Sam Baroudi that he started to hold back a little. Charles was a master boxer who would hold the infighting and speed advantage, watch his fights at heavy he was excellent at beating big guys on the inside. That being said I would slightly favour Holmes here a close decision like 8-6-1.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2008, 04:27 AM   #77
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis
The Charles of the Louis fight is a far more polished finisher than Earnie Shavers
Shavers also hit about 4 times harder. I can't see Charles having the power to seriously worry Holmes at all. Holmes has a fine chin and serious recuperation prowess. Heck, look how long it took peak and streaking Tyson to get him when he was past it.

Quote:
I am not saying it would be a blow out but I see him giving Holmes a lot of trouble as far as Spinks being better its a matter of opinion but I think Charles was a far better Heavyweight
Spinks is actually a hard one to rate at Heavyweight due to not much resume there. Lets bear in mind however he has 3 inches of both height and reach on Charles and often fought about 16 pounds heavier. Tho not compelling it's worth quietly noting. The average heavyweight was a substancially bigger man when Spinks was there. There's noway Charles could blow Holmes out, if it's short Holmes would be the one still standing, tho Charles isn't likely to get taken out early either.
Quote:
Some fighters are not suited for the lower weights Jimmy Ellis got dropped by Huricane Carter and beaten by others @ middle yet he was a pretty solid Heavy...B_Hop looks better than ever at 175 and he is 43 yrs old but Chris Byrd flopped losing weight and was weakened
Yeah i don't think it helped Byrd going the other way in weight so late in his career. Gaining some weight late career certainly seems to have given Hopkins some benefit. In a way i'd like to see him fight Taylor again.

Quote:
Charles on a good night had fast hands good skills and took a hell of a shot...If you judge Spinks by the Tyson fight he was a weak Heavy
Yeah but i don't think that's foolproof. I think he'd blow Charles out of there pronto too, as well as Moore and many others. Tyson made a lot of decent heavies look very weak. He was that good, especially against a smaller man.

Another point for Charles vs Holmes is that Charles is so much the smaller man. Holmes has 3 inches of height on him and a huge 8 inches reach advantage and almost 30 pounds weight. Considering Holmes jab is often cited as the best in history this really doesn't bode well for Charles, especially given Holmes is the bigger stronger man and if anything loses nothing in speed. His stamina is ATG.

The more i think about it the easier it looks for Holmes.

Just my opinion.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2008, 04:50 AM   #78
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Holmes on pts.... I think the little bit of size that Larry has over Charles would help Larry pull away in the championship rds in a close fight over 15 rds.

12 rds would be harder to call.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #79
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I'm glad I started this thread.. Some very nice insites by everyone who posted, on both sides.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #80
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
I'm glad I started this thread.. Some very nice insites by everyone who posted, on both sides.
I'm glad to see Charles get his due as a more than capable heavyweight, not just in a pound for pound sense. I would give the edge to Holmes here however, but the fight might just be very close.

On a sidenote, i was surprised to see you pick Charles, giving how high you think of Holmes.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2008, 09:26 AM   #81
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
On a sidenote, i was surprised to see you pick Charles, giving how high you think of Holmes.
And I still do think highly of him, plus he could very well take this match. This is a pick'em fight in my opinion. Holmes had one of the best jabs and recuperative powers in the history of the division. Charles had a very multi-dimensional set of boxing skills and toughness. I think either man could have eeked out a decision. It might come down to who was judging the fight too.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #82
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
And I still do think highly of him, plus he could very well take this match. This is a pick'em fight in my opinion. Holmes had one of the best jabs and recuperative powers in the history of the division. Charles had a very multi-dimensional set of boxing skills and toughness. I think either man could have eeked out a decision. It might come down to who was judging the fight too.
Thats the way I see it a lot closer tougher fight and more than likely a close decision
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #83
JIm Broughton
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Larry by late round TKO. Both very good boxers but one has a significant size advantage and an edge in speed as well. With that being said, Holmes had better be in shape for this one.
JIm Broughton is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2008, 02:21 AM   #84
Hank
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ezzard Charles would win, too fast for Holmes, and a better all around boxer. Plus Charles had a harder punch than given credit for. The harder a fight got, the more hard he threw. He had habit of taking it too easy if ahead, a habit he got into after he killed guy in ring, but when hurt, he was very dangerous.
Hank is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #85
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

As great as Charles was, he fall to Holmes by 13th round TKO, or strong UD, that jab would be the main factor, man.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #86
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Holmes's superior size would be the key factor in earning him a 15 round decision.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #87
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
You 40s nuthugger Robinson didnt have hand speed like Roy Jones
Are you kidding me Robinson was definatley faster than Roy Jones
Theron is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 12:32 AM   #88
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

I love watching Charles fight but lets not forget Ezzard was a natural light heavy and Larry was just too big and his style is great for Ezzard Charles, Larry Holmes unanimous decision as much as i don't like picking Holmes....
Theron is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 05:22 AM   #89
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Larry would a decision here with his jab. Not an exciting fight.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #90
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Larry wins this I think.
lufcrazy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum