Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Drofrah
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Manchester
Posts: 409
vCash: 814
Default MMA vs other diciplines

I appreciate that MMA is a sport all in its own right. I have only started to watch it and was thinking how would the fighters fair in single diciplines of fighting.

MMA vs Boxer in a boxing match
MMA vs Ju-Jitsu
MMA vs Kickeboxer

Is it completley wrong to put these fighters in this kind of scenario?

How many of the top fighters are champions in other fighting arts?

Cheers
Drofrah is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,121
vCash: 1493
Default Re: MMA vs other diciplines

Plenty of Jiu Jitsu champions in MMA, I'd actually say all the top jiu jitsu guys currently are, have, or are training to fight MMA.

Jacare, Roger Gracie, Marcelo Garcia, Drysdale, Demian Maia, Ricardo Arona; probably the top 6 grapplers in the world are all MMA fighters.

There's some MMA guys who have done fairly well in kickboxing, and some more who would.

Theres a handful of MMA guys who had presentable pro boxing careers.

But basically the guys who could cross over and win in single style contests are the jiu jitsu guys, because it is so integral to MMA training. Guys like Arona, Maia, Gracie, Drysdale, Garcia, and Jacare could still walk into a jiu jitsu contest and run away with it.
Beebs is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
Drofrah
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Manchester
Posts: 409
vCash: 814
Default Re: MMA vs other diciplines

So from that people with a jiu jitsu background have a better chance in MMA?
Drofrah is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
stoney sauce
newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Derry / Newcastle
Posts: 7
vCash: 1000
Default Re: MMA vs other diciplines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofrah
So from that people with a jiu jitsu background have a better chance in MMA?
I would say this was definately the case in earlier mma before fighters from other disciplines realised how important it was to have a solid ground game or at least a solid take down defense. Now everyone knows that if you aren't at least competent on the ground you're basically ****ed so everyone trains ju-jitsu. This has allowed strikers to become more prominent in mma as they can at least survive on the ground and have another chance to bang when they're up again.
stoney sauce is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
Drofrah
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Manchester
Posts: 409
vCash: 814
Default Re: MMA vs other diciplines

Is it generally the principle that a good groundworker will defeat a good striker? Are the UFC champions at the minute predominantly strikers or grapplers?
Drofrah is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,121
vCash: 1493
Default Re: MMA vs other diciplines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofrah
Is it generally the principle that a good groundworker will defeat a good striker? Are the UFC champions at the minute predominantly strikers or grapplers?
In broad terms, yes.

As far as champions:
155: BJ Penn - grappling base, great standing
170: GSP - grappling base, great standing
185: Anderson Silva - Striking base, great on the ground
205: Forrest Griffin - Grappling base, good stand up
HW: Nog / Couture - both grappling base, good standup
Beebs is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 1000
Default Re: MMA vs other diciplines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofrah
Is it generally the principle that a good groundworker will defeat a good striker? Are the UFC champions at the minute predominantly strikers or grapplers?
They are all just well rounded now my freind.
jimmie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:18 AM   #8
cdnboxing
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 819
vCash: 1000
Default Re: MMA vs other diciplines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie
They are all just well rounded now my freind.
Not all of them.
cdnboxing is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:26 AM   #9
cdnboxing
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 819
vCash: 1000
Default Re: MMA vs other diciplines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebs
Plenty of Jiu Jitsu champions in MMA, I'd actually say all the top jiu jitsu guys currently are, have, or are training to fight MMA.

Jacare, Roger Gracie, Marcelo Garcia, Drysdale, Demian Maia, Ricardo Arona; probably the top 6 grapplers in the world are all MMA fighters.

There's some MMA guys who have done fairly well in kickboxing, and some more who would.

Theres a handful of MMA guys who had presentable pro boxing careers.

But basically the guys who could cross over and win in single style contests are the jiu jitsu guys, because it is so integral to MMA training. Guys like Arona, Maia, Gracie, Drysdale, Garcia, and Jacare could still walk into a jiu jitsu contest and run away with it.
I think the best BJJ guys in MMA could compete with the best BJJ guys in the world but it would be no given that they'd win. It would certainly be competitive though.

There are quite a few established wrestlers in MMA ie. Lindland, Couture, Radev that could compete with the best wrestlers in the world. Maybe not now though after being removed from wrestling for quite a long-time.

MMA are full of some very talented ground fighters. The one thing they do lack is striking because for the most part the best strikers stay in their respective striking sports because of the money that is involved in a combat sport such as boxing.

Obviously you have had guys like Crocop successfully transition to MMA as well as a fighter like Hunt but you have never had a good boxer make the transition to MMA at least not a permanent transition. Jeremy Williams has 5 fights in MMA and is undefeated and in terms of the fighters he fought in boxing probably has the most notable resume of MMA fighters who come from boxing backgrounds.

The best boxers turned MMA fighters are Chris Lytle, Marcus Davis although they were mid-level boxers at best.
cdnboxing is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:40 AM   #10
Drofrah
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Manchester
Posts: 409
vCash: 814
Default Re: MMA vs other diciplines

Cheers! just trying to get into the sport a little more, it always helps to be more informed
Drofrah is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:05 AM   #11
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gay St Pierre
Posts: 8,188
vCash: 75
Default Re: MMA vs other diciplines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofrah
I appreciate that MMA is a sport all in its own right. I have only started to watch it and was thinking how would the fighters fair in single diciplines of fighting.

MMA vs Boxer in a boxing match
MMA vs Ju-Jitsu
MMA vs Kickeboxer

Is it completley wrong to put these fighters in this kind of scenario?

How many of the top fighters are champions in other fighting arts?

Cheers
this is a bit of a stupid thread its like saying

basketball player v footballer in a football match who would win

i know the top level BJJ guys are common in mma so there is an exception there but you cant come up with these matchups imagine bj penn v PBF in an mma match everyone knows the answer, same as the footballer would beat the basketball player in a football match
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:13 AM   #12
berserkafied
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 342
vCash: 1000
Default Re: MMA vs other diciplines

I think at the beginning, the idea of MMA was to find out which discipline is best - Judo v Wrestling, Kung Fu v Karate etc. The sport has evolved over the years and most of the top fighters are 'well rounded' fighters. (Good at everything - striking, Ju - Jitsu / submissions, wrestling / take down).

We are yet to see many 'top class' strikers compete in MMA, but there are top class wrestlers and Ju-Jitsu practitioners competing in MMA. I see no reason why the MMA fighters with wrestling or Ju-Jitsu background wouldn't do well in Wrestling / Ju-Jitsu tournaments.

On the other hand I can't see many MMA fighters being successfull at boxing or muay thai. I think the reason for this is that many of the striking disciplines are established and fighters can have lucrative Pro careers. Where as wresters (WWE doesn't count) and Ju-Jitsu fighters don't have many options apart from MMA. That's why IMO all the best Strikers stay at their respective sport.
berserkafied is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:20 AM   #13
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gay St Pierre
Posts: 8,188
vCash: 75
Default Re: MMA vs other diciplines

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkafied
I think at the beginning, the idea of MMA was to find out which discipline is best - Judo v Wrestling, Kung Fu v Karate etc. The sport has evolved over the years and most of the top fighters are 'well rounded' fighters. (Good at everything - striking, Ju - Jitsu / submissions, wrestling / take down).

We are yet to see many 'top class' strikers compete in MMA, but there are top class wrestlers and Ju-Jitsu practitioners competing in MMA. I see no reason why the MMA fighters with wrestling or Ju-Jitsu background wouldn't do well in Wrestling / Ju-Jitsu tournaments.

On the other hand I can't see many MMA fighters being successfull at boxing or muay thai. I think the reason for this is that many of the striking disciplines are established and fighters can have lucrative Pro careers. Where as wresters (WWE doesn't count) and Ju-Jitsu fighters don't have many options apart from MMA. That's why IMO all the best Strikers stay at their respective sport.

well said
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #14
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,121
vCash: 1493
Default Re: MMA vs other diciplines

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnboxing
I think the best BJJ guys in MMA could compete with the best BJJ guys in the world but it would be no given that they'd win. It would certainly be competitive though.

There are quite a few established wrestlers in MMA ie. Lindland, Couture, Radev that could compete with the best wrestlers in the world. Maybe not now though after being removed from wrestling for quite a long-time.
At this point though, the best BJJ guys in MMA are the same guys as the best in sport BJJ; Jacare, Roger Gracie, Maia, Drysdale, Marcelo Garcia, these are the top BJJ guys in any form.

Yea, the thing about the wrestlers is that they haven't wrestled for wrestling's sake competitively in a while, so they probably wouldn't do as well.
Beebs is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:33 PM   #15
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Da Bafroom brah!
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 75
Default Re: MMA vs other diciplines

Theres also the aspect of MMA, in which mixture of striking and groundfighting makes for the most effective combinations. Obvious combo is BJJ and Muay Thai, but if we look around there are some more interesting combos out there.. Machida with his very sound Karate and BJJ is a bad man.

Lots of arts are under utilized in MMA.. There is certainly room for many more, and they most certainly can and will be effective in the future.
Koa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013