Old 08-03-2007, 11:28 PM   #2
The Tuaman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: results in nz

In the fights I watched

Jason Reti (1-1-0) VS Malua Tipi (1-1-0) = Reti UD4

It was an ugly but entertaining brawl, Tipi tried to keep Reti at bay with his longer reach throwing jabs and 1,2's and the occasional right hand lead. Reti was content to throw the kitchen sink and the mortgage to at Tipi hurting Tipi a few times. Both guys looked gassed after the 3rd round and in the 4th both threw everything they had left in the tank! Personally i felt Tipi had done just enough boxing better and trying to actually use some technique as opposed to Reti's swinging, street brawling style! Reti probably did end of landing the cleaner shots however and like I said he did hurt Tipi numerous time which is what gave him the decision in the judges eyes!

Steve Heremaia (7-1-0) VS Jaime Waru (18-22-2) = Heremaia KO2

This fight was always going to end by stoppage, just a matter of who was going to get stopped, but it was Heremaias superior hand speed and power that was to much for Waru. Waru has been there done that, and is at the end of his career after talking with Jaime after the fight i thin he summed it up pretty well saying "its always tough fighting these young kids who are trying to live their dream of making something of themselves, they have that extra bit of drive and motivation over us older guys who are only fighting for a cheque now" Heremaia dropped Waru with a vicious shot Waru to his credit pulled himself off the canvas and tried to fight on only to be dropped again and the fight waved off. Heremaia looks to be a good prospect but really needs to move down to Welter.

Soloun Pownceby (0-0-0) VS Wayne Orbell (0-0-0) = Pownceby TKO1

Going into this one Orbell was regarded as a tough former amateur often representing Auckland in tournaments. Pownceby of cours eis the controversial former NZ Olympian and Commonwealth games representitive. For a minute into the 1st round it looked like it was going to be a fairly even contest until Sol dropped a huge right hand onto Orbells chin sending him onto ***** street then dropping him with a grazing hook. Orbell got up but was against the ropes taking clean shots when the ref jumped in and saved him from further punishment!

Monty Betham (4-0-0) VS James Chan (4-4-1) = Betham UD6

What a good fight, both guys came to fight and put up a great fight for the fans. Chan is a tough SOB Monty hit him with the kitchen sink and Chan fired straight back. I think Chan is more a natural Light-Heavy and didnt quite have the pop at Cruiser to really get Bethams attention. Chan went to the body for the most part with some success while Betham landed almost at will with his uppercut when Chan went boring into he body. Neither guy was ever really hurt, but from round 1 through 6 you felt as though a stoppage could happen at any minute. On getting the decision Monty was suprisingly booed

I missed the main event but the African won
The Tuaman is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2007, 01:11 AM   #3
maco_187
Belt holder
ESB Addict

interestingg...... my opinion of betham when watching him fight hes too small for a cruiser, if he could make light heavyweight maybe theres something there for him, but as a cruiser he looks real small compared to someone from america like darnel wilson or someone of that calibre.
maco_187 is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2007, 01:28 AM   #4
The Tuaman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Your probably right in saying that. He could do with loosing a little more muscle and thus becomming faster and in the process hopefully being able to make Light-Heavyweight. He's only around 5'10 I can see some of the more experienced US guys around 6'2, 6'3 picking him off.

James Chan looked small next to Monty which just goes to show Chan should really be at Light-Heavyweight, or even Super-Middle!
The Tuaman is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum