Old 10-26-2008, 12:04 PM   #16
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: MMA taking over? bull shit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriba
UFC does pretty good on SpikeTV and since a national TV deal would likely force them to change their product around, they're not in a rush to get thrown onto a big deal.

Showtime tried to buy out Pro Elite I believe but that deal fell through.

Can't help but wonder why Elite XC of all places got a prime time CBS TV deal but boxing can't get back on ABC.
I know if an upsart promotion can get a deal on CBS whats going with boxing ? For months I heard that they would back on ABC ..MMA isn't doing all that bad the reason boxing will always be more popular is that it has much longer history !
Imperial1 is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #17
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1
I know if an upsart promotion can get a deal on CBS whats going with boxing ? For months I heard that they would back on ABC ..MMA isn't doing all that bad the reason boxing will always be more popular is that it has much longer history !
The reason MMA isn't going to become more popular than Boxing (if it already isn't) is because MMA is still viewed as some sort of backyard brutality fest.

Boxing isnt...thus it's more accepted.

Apparently not accepted enough to get back on national TV (which it needs) but accepted none the less.
Arriba is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #18
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriba
The reason MMA isn't going to become more popular than Boxing (if it already isn't) is because MMA is still viewed as some sort of backyard brutality fest.

Boxing isnt...thus it's more accepted.

Apparently not accepted enough to get back on national TV (which it needs) but accepted none the less.
I heard they eventually want to get it into the olympics ..Something called Pan Craze not sure if im saying that right ..If they do it that will do wonders for its world wide appeal ..
Old 10-26-2008, 12:11 PM   #19
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

First and foremost Kevin Iole is a ****ing idiot. The man wouldnt know the diffrence between a rear naked choke and a straight right. MMA has its place as does boxing. BOTH can co-exist.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #20
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
I heard they eventually want to get it into the olympics ..Something called Pan Craze not sure if im saying that right ..If they do it that will do wonders for its world wide appeal ..
Pancrase. The Olympic committe barely allows boxing. The IOC are NEVER going to allow any hybrid sports like MMA or even Pancrase for that matter. Its too violent for them. Hence why Olympic boxing has no relevance in comparison to the pro ranks because its been so dumbed down.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #21
JVM

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgentry
i hate mma but i own a boxing gym and it's the only way i keep the bills paid is to offer mma too. too many rednecks like the shit.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #22
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Pancrase. The Olympic committe barely allows boxing. The IOC are NEVER going to allow any hybrid sports like MMA or even Pancrase for that matter. Its too violent for them. Hence why Olympic boxing has no relevance in comparison to the pro ranks because its been so dumbed down.
Thanks for clearing that up.Im sure if they did it would be very regulated as to what you can and cannot do ..
Old 10-26-2008, 12:21 PM   #23
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up.Im sure if they did it would be very regulated as to what you can and cannot do ..
Too regulated infact to make it even worth watching.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:33 PM   #24
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Too regulated infact to make it even worth watching.
Imagine mma with head gear and chest guards lol
Old 10-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #25
Jacko
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I believe there is a place for both. This whole boxing-MMA competition thing is pointless because although they both fall under the combat sports banner they are two very different sports and will therefore have a place in the sporting public's hearts.

I personally prefer boxing as i think it is a more skillful sport but MMA is still skillful in its own right and there is certainly more to it than just two brutes rolling around on the floor beating the shit out of each other.

It might look dull and homoerotic when they are on the floor but there is a tremendous amount of skill involved to be a good ground fighter. Most MMA's boxing technique is quite poor compared to pro boxers and the kicking technique of many MMA fighters is sloppy compared to pro kick/thai boxers but this is to be expected as they have to train in so many different styles. I kind of find many MMA fighters as jack of all trades, master of none when it comes to their overall skill level in different fighting styles. But it is a young sport and im sure that as it grows and with more gyms opening up around the world the skill level of fighters should slowly increase.

The one great thing about MMA that boxing stopped doing a long time ago, and someone else mentioned it earlier, is that the best fight the best. I think boxing promoters have realised that fans are fed up with mismatches and they have taken MMA's lead and the past few years i think we have got better matchups in the boxing world. It might not be a very popular opinion but this development in good boxing match ups is why i actually think MMA has been good for boxing. At the end of the day boxing will always exist in some form (at this point we cant gurentee that MMA will be around for ever) whether it be like the old days when it was extremely popular and on terrestrial tv and in all the papers or if it becomes even more of a niche sport than it already is so we should just stop worrying and moaing about MMA and actually try and learn a thing or two from it (obviously not the actual fighting but the marketing side and the competitive fights).
Jacko is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2008, 02:11 PM   #26
eltorrente
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I've always been a boxing fan, but this past year I've been taking Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and not only is it fun - but holy crap there's a ton of skill involved. Now when I watch MMA I can appreciate what they are doing and understand what is going on. What used to be a homo-erotic hug fest to me when I was uninformed, is now a true combat sport.

Anyone here that thinks there's no skill involved should step onto the mat with a mid-level Jiu Jitsu guy and they'll quickly realize it's extremely effective.

MMA is entertaining to watch, and I think in the coming years we'll see it grow even more popular and see the skilll level of the striking improve along with it. Prize money is getting bigger, and it's inevitable that it's going to continue to attract more and more skilled atheletes.
eltorrente is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2008, 02:23 PM   #27
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Boxing and MMA are two different sports as was mentioned several time before. That's the bottomline.

It's pointless to compare and both can co-exist.

Let's just put it this way, nobody compares who jumps higher or makes a better block between a basketball center and a volleyball center.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #28
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Re: MMA taking over? bull !

Quote:
Originally Posted by truewarrior
MMA as of lately has been producing some of the most horrible scenes and its just getting worse. Yesterday was one of the poorest displays that the contact sport audience has seen in a while. Before that it was a hyped up street fighter getting knocked out by a single jab. Then before that it was UFC 89 in which the action in those fights was equivalent to watching a chess match. Theres also been controversy in promoters paying fighters more money for fighting in different styles than they are used to or styles which benefit the other fighter. Heres a link to an article about yesterdays fight and I just want to say that Anderson Silva is considered the UFC's elite fighter who is also their piggy bank....what a shame. Also the fight is available at
mmalinker. C O M
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
There is no debate.

I watch both the UFC and Boxing, and nothing comes close to the moments before a fight like Cotto vs Margarito or De La Hoya vs Trinidad. Nothing, not the final of the UEFA Champions League, not the super bowl, not Anderson Silva vs Patrick Cote, or anything in the world of sport. Max Kellerman said it before the Cotto vs Margarito fight: "Nothing in sports comes close to this".

So true.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #29
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: MMA taking over? bull !

You can point to disappointing shows for each sport, it doesn't mean the sport itself sucks. Why there has to be this rivalry between them is beyond me. If you don't like MMA then don't watch it. If you watch it just so you can bitch then you're boosting the ratings and fueling all this talk about how well MMA is doing. Vote with your feet and if you don't like it, don't watch it.
Wilhelm is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum