Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
Joe E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd Patterson vs. Jersey Joe Walcott

Great post Luigi.I'll have to give the nod to Patterson by a very close perhaps split decision.Joe Walcott would give any H.W. fits with his style.He also had a sneaky fast right and a good left hook.He would surely knock Floyd down but not out.It seemed to me though that Joe had a habit of not doing enough in some fights where Patterson was always aggressive and also had a very good left hook and very quick hands.Floyds aggressiveness and work rate impresses the judges in this one I think.Thanks.
Joe E is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeezzard
Great post Luigi.I'll have to give the nod to Patterson by a very close perhaps split decision.Joe Walcott would give any H.W. fits with his style.He also had a sneaky fast right and a good left hook.He would surely knock Floyd down but not out.It seemed to me though that Joe had a habit of not doing enough in some fights where Patterson was always aggressive and also had a very good left hook and very quick hands.Floyds aggressiveness and work rate impresses the judges in this one I think.Thanks.

Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

I think Pattersons pressure would certainly trouble Walcott but my hunch is that Walcott would set a dirty little trap for him and take him out with a triple feinted left hand somwhere along the way.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
Joe E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
I think Pattersons pressure would certainly trouble Walcott but my hunch is that Walcott would set a dirty little trap for him and take him out with a triple feinted left hand somwhere along the way.
I see where your coming from Janitor,but that left hook that did Charles in was a 1 in a million shot and Pattrson would be looking for it,he would'nt let Walcott just waltz in the way Charles did.Thanks.
Joe E is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
jackiebrown
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

floyd patterson .. too many bombs .. too quick
jackiebrown is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I see where your coming from Janitor,but that left hook that did Charles in was a 1 in a million shot and Pattrson would be looking for it,he would'nt let Walcott just waltz in the way Charles did.Thanks.
I was thinking more of the Louis and Marciano fights than the Charles fight. Walcott seemed to set traps for them and catch them coming in.

Difference is that they were more durable than Patterson so Walcott might catch him fataly.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2007, 01:57 PM   #8
Joe E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
I was thinking more of the Louis and Marciano fights than the Charles fight. Walcott seemed to set traps for them and catch them coming in.

Difference is that they were more durable than Patterson so Walcott might catch him fataly.
Good point Janitor.The left Walcott caught Marciano with was a Beaut although he did catch Rocky cold in the first rd.As for Louis this may sound like Heresy to some,but I question his balance at times.I think Floyd could have taken those shots and still taken a decision.But i will agree to disagree.Thanks
Joe E is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2007, 02:01 PM   #9
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

He is not talking about the shots that drop Louis and Marciano, but the shots that Walcott nail Louis and Marciano though out the fight. If you look at Louis's face after the first and 2nd fight, you can see it all busted up, his eye was close in the first fight I belive.

As for Marciano, cut under eye, and cut scap from the head butt in round 6. The reason Walcott did the damage to there faces was because Walcott keep landed his money punch though out the 15 and 13 rounds of that fight. Patterson is also not that hard to hit when him chargeing in the way he did. I pick Walcott.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #10
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Walcott could bang if he CHOOSE too. The problem is he was mostly a safety first fighter.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #11
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobkhan
Imo Pattersonīs durability is a bit underrated. He was only stopped three times, one time by TKO from Johansson who was a very hard hitter and two KOs from Liston who is remembered as one of the hardest hitters ever.
I tend to agree. Patterson is under rated vs punchers.

Quote:
I donīt think Jersey Joe is on that level of power. I donīt doubt he would be able to floor Patterson but i donīt think he is able to put him away.
The thing about Walcott is not so much his power but his sneakyness. He always managed to hit guys with something they didn't see coming. Ezzard Charles did not come back for more after that beauty of a bolo punch and he went on to take everything Marciano could throw at him over 15 rounds.

To be fair to my critics the knockout scenario that I am envisaging is verry specific and if it dose not happen precisely that way then a radicaly differnt outcome is likley.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2007, 02:57 PM   #12
Joe E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238
He is not talking about the shots that drop Louis and Marciano, but the shots that Walcott nail Louis and Marciano though out the fight. If you look at Louis's face after the first and 2nd fight, you can see it all busted up, his eye was close in the first fight I belive.

As for Marciano, cut under eye, and cut scap from the head butt in round 6. The reason Walcott did the damage to there faces was because Walcott keep landed his money punch though out the 15 and 13 rounds of that fight. Patterson is also not that hard to hit when him chargeing in the way he did. I pick Walcott.
I understand what is going on here D,I just don't agree.Jersey Joe is one of my all time favorites.I love watching that Man fight.IMO he is one of the most under rated champs in history,a cutie but a cutie who could punch and who was as tough as nails.But lets give Floyd a little credit here.He was K.Od cold 3 times in his carrer by 2 Men,and I don't think Walcott hit harder than these two.But more importantly Floyd was knocked down many times and got up many times which proves he was dead game and tenacious.Walcott might be able to put him down but not keep him down.Floyd was easy to hit ,yes,but Floyd would fire back to the body and head with argubly the quickest hands in Heavyweight histoy and even the old slickster would by hard pressed to duck and dodge all of these shots.I stand by my original statement Patterson via close perhaps split decision.Thanks.
Joe E is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #13
timmers612
Contender
ESB Senior Member

In going over this matchup I thought of Pattersons fights with Ellis (I had it a draw) and Quarry. As with them I would give Floyd a slight edge.
timmers612 is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2007, 09:43 PM   #14
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Walcott because he is a better fighter period.
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #15
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I understand what is going on here D,I just don't agree.Jersey Joe is one of my all time favorites.I love watching that Man fight.IMO he is one of the most under rated champs in history,a cutie but a cutie who could punch and who was as tough as nails.But lets give Floyd a little credit here.He was K.Od cold 3 times in his carrer by 2 Men,and I don't think Walcott hit harder than these two.But more importantly Floyd was knocked down many times and got up many times which proves he was dead game and tenacious.Walcott might be able to put him down but not keep him down.Floyd was easy to hit ,yes,but Floyd would fire back to the body and head with argubly the quickest hands in Heavyweight histoy and even the old slickster would by hard pressed to duck and dodge all of these shots.I stand by my original statement Patterson via close perhaps split decision.Thanks.
Come on, you guys are OVERRATEING Patterson's chin, here was a guy that was deck by PeteRademacher for crying out loud.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum