Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #16
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd Patterson vs. Jersey Joe Walcott

Pete, Harris, Ingo, and a few others had Patterson down. When Walcott gets Patterson down, he will hurt him. He would also wear Patterson out with hooks and uppercuts to the jaw. Patterson was not that as iron chin as you people belive. Just because he went 12 rounds with Ali does not mean Patterson would take the power Walcott would bring. And at his best, I rank Walcott a better puncher than Ingo was.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2007, 08:10 AM   #17
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobkhan
I strongly disagree with you. Walcott was never the puncher Ingo was. I never said he had an iron chin but he had a good enough chin to take what Jersey Joe has to offer just like it is the other way round. Walcott has really something to land like he did on Charles to take Floyd´s lights out. And i can´t see it happen.

Ingo was a much better puncher than Walcott, agreed. But one-punch-wise Walcott hit harder IMO, some of his hooks were really murderous...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2007, 08:26 AM   #18
KTFO

vCash:

Quote:
Who wins and why?

Depends on who'd need the money most.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:52 AM   #19
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

I have to go with Jersey Joe, Joe had the ability to pinpoint punches and he had great power in both hands, Joe was also a great boxer and could hit fighters with clean hard shots or just box and move(the first shuffler(the Jersey Shuffle) Patterson got better as he got older and held his own in the era, of Quarry,Ellis,Bonavena and he was the more experienced of an era of Young heavys(never fought Frazier) I think if Walcott was around in that era he would have spanked,Quarry,Ellis,Spencer,Martin,Bonavena and the rest and would also have a good shot vs Frazier and Ali, when J.J.W. got up for a fight he could be a master spoiler and a skilled 2 fisted tecnition
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2007, 10:47 AM   #20
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Could Patterson have defeated the Louis that Walcott arguably should have?

(Not to imply that A beats B so he must beat C...just curious about your opinions).
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2007, 07:04 AM   #21
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

I dont think Patterson could stay in there with Louis, Joe had power in both hands and once you were hurt his killer instinct was tops
Old 08-06-2007, 07:57 AM   #22
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis
I dont think Patterson could stay in there with Louis, Joe had power in both hands and once you were hurt his killer instinct was tops
Agreed.

Walcott was able to annoy and befudle Louis with his unorthodox footwork and tricks. Patterson is way different, Louis will find him easier and i don't think Patterson chin will hold up.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2007, 08:38 AM   #23
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I strongly disagree with you. Walcott was never the puncher Ingo was.
Walcott was never the puncher Marciano was in terms of raw power yet he was able to put Ezzard Charles away with a single shot where Marciano couldn't.

It was not just Walcotts power that made him a dangerous puncher. Power alone is worth two buckets of warm spit. It is the ones you don't see coming that knock you out and Walcott would always get you with something you didnt see coming.

Make no mistake Walcott would present a verry serious and constant threat to Pattersons chin.

Last edited by SuzieQ49; 04-16-2006 at 04:49 PM.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2007, 08:40 AM   #24
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_trainer
Could Patterson have defeated the Louis that Walcott arguably should have?
Not a cat in hells chance.

Even at this stage of his career Louis would have made short work of anybody around at the time if they went toe to toe with him. Walcott was an elusive target and Louis no longer had the reflexes to catch up with him. Even so he made short work of him when he finaly did.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #25
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238
Pete, Harris, Ingo, and a few others had Patterson down. When Walcott gets Patterson down, he will hurt him. He would also wear Patterson out with hooks and uppercuts to the jaw. Patterson was not that as iron chin as you people belive. Just because he went 12 rounds with Ali does not mean Patterson would take the power Walcott would bring. And at his best, I rank Walcott a better puncher than Ingo was.
I'd venture to say that half of Patterson's knockdowns were either of the flash variety or being off balance. Ingo didn't keep him down (I often have wondered how the first fight might have played out had Ingo decked him at the end of round three) and he was getting to his feet in BOTH the Liston fights from punches Sonny later said he could feel all the way back into his shoulders and back, in short Sunday Bombs! You NEVER saw Floyd lying prone with a ref above him counting 8-9-10 yer' OUT! Chuvalo hit him with some bombs and that 2nd knockdown in the first Quarry fight would have KO'd some fighters but Floyd got to his feet and proceded to kick Jerry's arse until going passive in the last two rounds and letting Quarry salvage a draw.
It would have to be a much bigger guy and a big banger that would negate Floyd's aggressive attack.
Forget the china chin rap and go about finding other ways that Floyd would or could lose some of these mythical matchups.
My $0.02
jowcol is online now  Top
Old 08-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #26
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Vs Ingo, they sure as hell were not flash knockdowns. And Patterson was counted out in the 2nd Liston fight I belive.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:18 PM   #27
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Jersey Joe is a missed opportunity imo. If he had gotten the chance to train and fight serious earlier he could have hang in there with Louis and Ali in terms of accomplishment and ranking.
It is certainly an interesting what if.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2007, 02:43 PM   #28
Imira
Vespertine...

Location: "A fighter should be able to employ a strategy of his choice and get a fair decision."

Quote:
Vs Ingo, they sure as hell were not flash knockdowns.
Again, Patterson kept getting up before the referee stopped the fight. Sort of like Frazier v Foreman I. Yes, Patterson was down and hurt but Ingo was far from putting him down for good.

Quote:
And Patterson was counted out in the 2nd Liston fight I belive.
Patterson was counted out but it was because he couldn't beat the count. Quite different from a fighter draped over the bottom rope as the referee counts to 50...
Imira is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2007, 03:00 PM   #29
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

These guys are overated Patterson's chin imo. Patterson was drop WAY to many times to be able to take Walcotts best shots imo. And vs inferior comp at that. Walcott does have the power to drop and even take Patterson out of there. And Walcott can also outpoint Patterson if it came to it. Patterson be walking in like Marciano did, and end up getting counter. IT be a matter of time before Patterson finds out he cant take it.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #30
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Floyd was dropped by Pete Radamaker in Petes first fight,Floyd was Champ,he was also dropped by Roy Harris, Ko'd by Liston 2 times,Ingo had him sleep walking, Quarry had him down 2 times, I only touched the surface, he learned as he got older to relax better and use his experience but he was never a granite chin or wood 4 that matter

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum