Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #16
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: If you had to spill your pint in one heavyweight champion's lap in their prime

I'd spill my pint in Jack Johnson's lap. He is as cool as a cucumber and would undoubtedly have some pressed linen trousers near by. In the meantime he'd be the last guy to raise his hands over something like that, if your attitude was right (it would be).

The last guy would be Corbett. He sounds like a bastard and had a proper temper.
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2007, 07:14 PM   #17
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: If you had to spill your pint in one heavyweight champion's lap in their prime

First choice would be Greg Page, who would be too fat and amiable to really deal.
Last Choice would be Sonny Liston, who could easily grab your neck and end your life right there.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #18
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 141

First Choice: Johnson, who undoubtedly dealt with a lot worse in his life, and, like McGrain said, would likely limit his reaction to a condesecending remark, if he bothered with it at all. Braddock wouldn't be a bad choice, either, as he was considered a pretty down-to-earth character, who would more than likely shrug it off.

Last Choice: George Foreman. Even if he didn't crush you for this, he would likely stare at you with such hatred that you would have no choice but to leave the bar.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #19
joe33

vCash:

Jack dempsey could i guess go either for sure,he seemed a nice guy later on,but in his early days he sure looked a mean dude.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:30 AM   #20
jackiebrown
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

the guy i'd like to spill my drink on ..if there was any .. would be lennox lewis ! ..

least? .. george foreman
jackiebrown is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 06:24 AM   #21
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Who would be your first choice and who your last choice from a point of view of not getting hurt.
Sonny Liston ,no problem!
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 06:33 AM   #22
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict

I wouldn't mind spilling my beer on Ali or Louis, Ali would probably rip the piss out of me but nothing physical would happen. Louis would be a cool guy.

Who I wouldn't want to do it to...Liston and Tyson.
That would result in a night of pain.
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 06:57 AM   #23
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I'd prolly spill it on Ali, he would then get up play acting and challenge/mock me in some way or another in typical engage the crowd fashion, making great fun out of a potentially worrisome situation. It would be an event to tell the grandkids about.

Last? Probably Tyson, the man is quite psychotic and who knows what he might do. The flip side is that you might find yourself a couple of hundred g's richer when he paid you out (like he did at least 1 other)
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 08:45 AM   #24
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Quote:
There was one ocasion when a drunken man took a swing at Louis while he was signing autographs with Jessie Owens. He said-

"What the hell did you do that for?"

The reply came

"I like to beat up a n***** every week and there is no n***** bigger than Joe f***** Louis"

Louis raised his hands and adopted the look that he used to intimidate oponents before the opening bell and the man backed away. He then said something equaly unplesant to Jessie Owens who laid into him and had to be pulled off by Louis.

So Louis could be one cool customer.
I've got a slightly different version of the same story.

Louis was signing autographs with Ray Robinson when this guy came up for an autograph. This guy threw a playful punch to Joe's ribs which Joe blocked, and he turned to sign an autograph. The next thing, this guy wallops Joe in the jaw with a sucker punch.
Joe immediately goes into his boxing stance when Robinson gets in the way and grabs Joe's hands. He then says to the guy "Why the hell did you do that, mister?" to which the guy went on this verbal tirade about 'getting his ****** for the day' and such.

I read it in the biography on Louis called Joe Louis: The Great Black Hope.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 03:11 PM   #25
Danny Ocean
My nAmE IS MoNeY
ESB Senior Member

if i spilled it over

lennox lewis
henry cooper

i think theyd be cool
Danny Ocean is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #26
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

First - Bruce Seldon, he'd hurl himself to the floor from the impact of the beer and that would give me time enough to run away.

Last - Sullivan, he'd probably strangle me for a waste of good beer if nothing else.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 04:24 PM   #27
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

I have enjoyed peoples answers here but they are all based on assumptions.

Most of these guys were complex characters. Sony Liston could be kind and gentle. John L Sullivan could be generous and easy going.

Some of the guys listed as soft options could be cruel and vicious at times.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #28
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchmoore
1st-Muhammad Ali because he needed to protect his image and if things got physical I could tackle him.

Last-Sonny Liston. Liston would probably get up and try to kill me and I would have to run as fast as I could the other way. Liston wasn't that fast though so I could maybe outrun him. Foreman could be worse because a young one probably would have caught up to me
Yeah, so hed pull out his Tommy and shoot your ass.
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #29
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 469

Quote:
Who would be your first choice and who your last choice from a point of view of not getting hurt.
First: Joe Louis: he would catch me with a sweet right that would not miss and then I would be out cold and not feel a thing!

Last: Leon Spinks: you know he would not get the job done straight away and would batter me with partial blows and cause me 5 seconds of agony before getting the job done, putting me to sleep.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #30
doefler182
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1633

first- baer since he was supposevly a nice guy and would be afraid to kill me

last- frazier. because he'd prob hit me with a hook to body that wouldn't knock me out, just leave me gasping for air on the ground for about two or three hours
doefler182 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum