FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: gaurds/stances

Quote:
Originally Posted by younghypnotiq
whats the peekaboo stance?
Have you read my posts?

Peek a boo is a guard, it is not a stance.

Three stances - angled off, square on and text book stance which is in between. This is how you hold your feet. Your stance can be orthodox or southpaw.

Peek a boo is like Floyd Patterson and Miguel Cotto.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 05:06 PM   #33
younghypnotiq
Belt holder
ESB Addict

alright im sorry i meant peek aboo gaurd. i have heard many different explanations. 1. was said that they have hands turned palms touching under eyues with a deep crouch.2 deep crouch hands right infront of eyes palms facing each other with hands open. 3. same thign with hands in loose fists
younghypnotiq is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 03:28 AM   #34
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
alright im sorry i meant peek aboo gaurd. i have heard many different explanations. 1. was said that they have hands turned palms touching under eyues with a deep crouch.2 deep crouch hands right infront of eyes palms facing each other with hands open. 3. same thign with hands in loose fists
Everyone can stand differently. The main thing is where the gloves go. Gloves around the chin is normal full guard and as gloves around the cheeks and temple becomes peek a boo.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:38 PM   #35
younghypnotiq
Belt holder
ESB Addict

oo alright. thanks =). one more question in the full gaurd orthodox stance do you actually go on the tip toes of both feet or what? and both hands are ar chin level right? also what are the strategies of a person using this stance usually? jabbing?

Last edited by younghypnotiq; 08-09-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:06 AM   #36
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
oo alright. thanks =). one more question in the full gaurd orthodox stance do you actually go on the tip toes of both feet or what? and both hands are ar chin level right? also what are the strategies of a person using this stance usually? jabbing?
If you are stationary then your feet are flat on the floor or slightly pushing off the ball of your right foot. However you will often be moving and thus you get up on your toes. This doesn't mean bouncing about and being all herky jerky but your weight is on the balls of your feet.

Both hands are at chin level. Look at Erik Morales, he usually holds a good text book guard.

You can employ any strategy out of full guard. Jabbing is obviously a key.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #37
scotchpieirnbru
Contender
ESB Senior Member

on the subject of "no gaurd" fighters, prince naseem was mentioned. does anybody think that he could have actually been affective in the full gaurd style? in my opinion it looked like no gaurd is all he ever learned. probably not the case but your opinions would be interesting.
scotchpieirnbru is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #38
younghypnotiq
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
If you are stationary then your feet are flat on the floor or slightly pushing off the ball of your right foot. However you will often be moving and thus you get up on your toes. This doesn't mean bouncing about and being all herky jerky but your weight is on the balls of your feet.

Both hands are at chin level. Look at Erik Morales, he usually holds a good text book guard.

You can employ any strategy out of full guard. Jabbing is obviously a key.
thanks achilles. i did a little more research and it said that you should use long rhythm in this stance(move head back and forward at all times) is this true?
Old 08-11-2007, 08:58 AM   #39
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
thanks achilles. i did a little more research and it said that you should use long rhythm in this stance(move head back and forward at all times) is this true?
No, it is not true. That is the sort of stupid shit they teach you in boxing manuals.

Be versatile and do what the situation demands. To do this you need to train hard, spar alot, fight alot and soak up knowledge from the best.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:00 AM   #40
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchpieirnbru
on the subject of "no gaurd" fighters, prince naseem was mentioned. does anybody think that he could have actually been affective in the full gaurd style? in my opinion it looked like no gaurd is all he ever learned. probably not the case but your opinions would be interesting.
It is true that Prince Naseem often fought in no guard. I do think he could have been AS effective in full guard unless he mastered it well. Don't think this means he couldn't and didn't fight out of full guard because he can and he did.

Hamed like Anthony Small, Jones, Ali and others implemented full guard but weren't complete at it. Jones and Ali for example always use it to fight off the ropes.

The best is someone like Floyd who is complete in full guard, half guard and no guard.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:00 AM   #41
Pugsley
Fat Bastard
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
No, it is not true. That is the sort of stupid shit they teach you in boxing manuals.

I also learned that trick from the back of a kellogg's cornflakes.
Pugsley is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing