Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 10-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
concrete sledge
Lord of the quislings
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Booing...

It seems like UFC fans are uneducated ****s sometimes. Don't get me wrong, some fighters DO deserve a little booing (Kalib Starnes), but it seems as soon as a fight goes to the ground or if someone takes up a defensive position the booing quickly starts.

Take DREAM or PRIDE fights for example, you could hear a pin drop even if the fight lasts an entire round (or more) on the ground. Those fans seem much more educated and respectful of those that are risking their necks by fighting.

I'm reading all of these negative articles (etc.) about Anderson Silva's lack of aggression and not finishing him as quickly as he has done so many times before. I don't think either fighter was espcially aggressive and it was only because they both respected eachother and knew how dangerous thier competitor could be. Anderson was definitely winning before Cote got hurt and I have a feeling he would surely have finished him before a decision was needed. He was just keeping his distance and waiting to strike. Not all fighters are going to put on the exact same performance every time and this was one of them for Silva. I personally didn't lose any respect or admiration for Anderson Silva but it sounds as though many in the MMA world have.
concrete sledge is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
berserkafied
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Booing...

It's because unfortunately, it seems the majority of the UFC crowd don't understand what martial arts is all about - I think they are expecting an all-out brawl (Kimbo You tube style) in every fight. True martial art technicians (Silva, Macheida) are booed every time they avoid brawling, or change tactics in accordance to the skill set of their opponents. It does **** me off to an extent, but what can you do - You get uneducated ****-heads following all kinds of sports, guess it comes with the territory.
berserkafied is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
concrete sledge
Lord of the quislings
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkafied
It's because unfortunately, it seems the majority of the UFC crowd don't understand what martial arts is all about - I think they are expecting an all-out brawl (Kimbo You tube style) in every fight. True martial art technicians (Silva, Macheida) are booed every time they avoid brawling, or change tactics in accordance to the skill set of their opponents.

Quote:
It does **** me off to an extent, but what can you do - You get uneducated ****-heads following all kinds of sports, guess it comes with the territory.
Very true.
concrete sledge is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Silva deserved to be booed at the last event.
codeman99998 is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

They've paid their money, they have the right to boo if they don't like what they're seeing.
Polymath is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1550

Que beebs protecting UFC fans...

But seriously most of them don't get it. Yea, they paid money and they do w/e they want, but it's disrespectful most of the time nonetheless.
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #7
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Exactly, just because you pay money doesn't mean you have to act like an ignorant re****. Like was said above some fighters deserve it like Starnes and maybe a few others but not at the drop of a hat. The elite XC event which had Lawler vs Smith was really bad for booing. the fights were very good but the second someone wasn't throwing punches the booing started.....it was discusting to listen to.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

The Vegas crowds for the most part get it, and don't boo unless its deserved; cities who don't have regular MMA cards don't get the finer points and boo too much. I wish those caught booing get thrown into the backroom as warmup dummies.

Japan is a whole different culture, there is booing, its very rare and it obviously sounds different, but it is there (Fujita vs Monson). Japan is also just a quiter nation, watch the crowd reaction when Douglas knocks out Tyson, now think of the reaction if that was in Madison square Garden.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #9
Lostmykeys
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 2036

The problem with marketing a product to rednecks growing up on pro wrestling is that you get the asshole wrestling fans coming to events.

The UFC doesn't market to intelligent fans.
Lostmykeys is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2008, 06:03 AM   #10
saturday_kid
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostmykeys
The problem with marketing a product to rednecks growing up on pro wrestling is that you get the asshole wrestling fans coming to events.

The UFC doesn't market to intelligent fans.
From an outsider looking in I'd believe this to be true. I'm a boxing fan, not really into MMA (not knocking it just never really been into it from when I was a kid) but watched the main event of UFC 90 last saturday and thought it was pretty out of order booing the guy when his knee had obviously just gone.

I know over here (in the UK) especially lately that irt has become popular UFC has been marketed at "lager louts", "football hooligan" types.

To be fair I thought the 2 fighters handled themselves brilliantly. Showed a lot of respect.

Might even watch the next one
saturday_kid is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
Drofrah
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 814

I must admitt im new to watching MMA, but i find the wrestling aspects entertaining, a world away from watching Boxing.

If people prefer stand up fights, why do they not watch a stand up sport?
Drofrah is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #12
Nuke
Full Length Member
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofrah
I must admitt im new to watching MMA, but i find the wrestling aspects entertaining, a world away from watching Boxing.

If people prefer stand up fights, why do they not watch a stand up sport?

Because then they couldn't boo or ***** about something they don't like. I usually watch events with the sound off and some music in the background. I hate the crowds and listening to Rogan correct that half-wit Goldberg every other sentence is getting old.
Nuke is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2008, 02:57 AM   #13
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict

WOW! I just watched the Franca Aurelio fight and I can't BELIEVE the crowd booed that at any point.

I must admit, I am normally a defender of UFC fans, probably because I think they are much like myself, but that is OBSCENE.

Btw, I thought Franca-Aurelio was a great fight and I'm looking forward to see Hermes again.
codeman99998 is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2008, 01:33 AM   #14
ubahivn

I was there and there were a lot of drunken people booing, but I attribute that more to being a Chicago thing. Also after going to a live event where I got what are supposedly awesome seats for $600 a piece I found it hard to see much because of the all the camera people and the cage posts. I find it much easier to see the action in a boxing ring. But they even booed all the Chicago sport people who were at the event, its just a very tough crowd out here. I've seen Gołota fight here and he even got booed from the polish Chicago crowd, and he lives here. Not saying its excusable, just saying that theres a bunch of ****s out here, and its to be expected.
ubahivn is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2008, 05:04 AM   #15
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

This isnt news. And its hardly surprising. Its the demographic that the UFC appeals to.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum