Do we all agree whoever wins between Kovalev and Ward is #1 pound for pound

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Sep 29, 2016.

Do we all agree whoever wins between Kovalev and Ward is #1 pound for pound

Poll closed Nov 18, 2016.
  1. Yes

47.3%
  2. No

44.1%
  3. Unsure

8.6%
  1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Do we all agree whoever wins between Kovalev and Ward is #1 pound for pound?

IMO, this is the best fight in boxing, featuring two undefeated champions in their primes with contrasting styles!

Kovalev is currently ranked #2 pound for pound, Ward is #4.

I can not recall the last time fighters of this pound for pound rank meet each other at the top in their game.

In my opinion, whoever wins here is pretty much guaranteed a spot in the boxing hall of fame after he retires

2. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015
    I wouldn't argue with that

HattonsRingPost likes this.
  3. Drachenorden

Drachenorden Active Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Resume-wise yes (as in recent resume) but it still doesn't necessarily mean that they're actually the most skilled.

4. timeout

timeout Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 15, 2010
    No who ever wins becomes a clear 2nd after GGG.

People forget....GGG already dropped kovalev in sparring. And ward blatantly ducked him.

Therefore...until u face ggg u ain't taking his crown.

Omair and Beouche like this.
  5. There Will Be Blood

There Will Be Blood #TheMedicalTeam #750 banned Full Member

Sep 6, 2016
    I hesitate to do so. Ward hasn't done SQUAT in YEARS and ONE VICTORY over a GREAT NAME doesn't cement him as the P4P KING. Kovalev is a MONSTER and he's been DOMINATING dudes, but they're all pretty B-/B+ level at best. BERNARD was ANCIENT, but it was STILL an IMPRESSIVE victory.

I'd say Pac should be recognized as the #1 because his resume is insane.

6. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    And if this were 2011, I might agree with your post. In this thread, I'm talking about fighters currently ranked by Ring Magazine in the pound for pound rankings.

7. Beouche

Beouche Juan Manuel Marquez Full Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Dont you think Kovalev Beterbiev is a better match up?

Wards chin simply cant handle what Kovalev brings

8. Beouche

Beouche Juan Manuel Marquez Full Member

Oct 13, 2010

Ring magazine. Owned by Oscar. Who promotes Canelo. No bias at all in those rankings

9. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Yes I would agree with that.

10. Kush

Kush Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 16, 2007
  11. elchivito

elchivito master betty Full Member

Sep 27, 2008
    It's not that simple it depends on the fight itself. Either one can look like crap and win by a robbery with the judges help and the result of a fight doesn't always tell the true story of how it truly went down. So if for example Kov wins a controversial decision over Ward, but it's clear Ward won and deserves a rematch, I would not rate Kov #1. Instead I'd rate Ward #1. The results don't always determine who was the better fighter that night it's happened time and again.

OvidsExile likes this.
  12. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I voted "unsure" but agree that a good argument can be made for the #1 p4p position right now. If Kovalev or Ward put on a masterclass, then I'd concede that ranking. It depends on the fighter's performance as well.

DannyBhoy and KiwiMan like this.
  13. qwertyblahblah

qwertyblahblah Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 14, 2013
    The winner will have the best win of the decade and punch an instant ticket to the hof. But no he doesn't have to be p4p number 1. It depends on how the winner wins. If he wins solidy but neither he nor the other guy shows anything we haven't seen before I'm not annointing him number 1. If Kovalev ices Ward in the second round with his first serious punch I won't make him number 1, I'll probably only move Ward far down. If they bring out the best in each other, and the winner shows skill, ability, tactics, and will to win he hasn't yet shown... well let's see it happen first! Barrera rocketed up most p4p charts I think as much because of how he beat Hamed than that he merely won. I think Ward has already beaten more variety of styles than Kovalev so in my eyes if Ward wins he'll have the better chance of making a case that he's p4p number 1. Anyway, it's going to take a lot to convince me Loma, Rigo, and Gonzalez don't deserve to be considered the three best boxers in the world.

OvidsExile likes this.
  14. lewis gassed

lewis gassed The Bronze Dosser Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    No, Ward hasn't done **** in decades.

Mekar likes this.
  15. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Wards has never been stopped. If he has been floored I can't recall. He has a Mayweather like shut down and counter type of defense. And he's fast and accurate. He might not have to take as many heavy shots as you think. Ward was the king @168, winning the super six. He has had no issues moving up to light heavy.

Beterbiev has not been the same since his surgery, so right now, no I do not think Kovalev vs Beterbiev is a better match-up