Is Canelo-GGG even that big?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by K.D, Oct 21, 2016.

1. K.D

K.D Active Member Full Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Honestly how does it even beat Canelo-Cotto's 900,000 buys?
    Cotto is a much bigger star, and the mexican-puerto rican rivalry.

However there is a lot more hype around Canelo-GGG.

Is canelo not living up to his full potential draw? Or is 300k+100k going to be the figures for Canelo-GGG

2. ATG22

ATG22 Active Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2014
    What did Cotto do on his own? He's pretty much always been the B-side on PPV. All of his A-side fights were not on PPV.

If GGG-Alvarez doesn't go long past it's due date (already passed), it should easily go above a million buys. If it's promoted right (full 24/7, multi city press conference, promos, etc), I can see it going into the 1.4-1.6 million range.

Even 1M buys @ $70 is $70M, excluding live gate which would be pretty impressive considering both draw huge crowds wherever they fight. 1.5M buys would bring in 9 figures.

So the $10M offer is clearly a joke, the only thing more laughable is wanting a signature a year before. If Canelo takes an embarrassing L and GGG unifies all the belts in that time span, GGG should get the lion's share.

3. GolovKing

GolovKing ESB Since 2006 Full Member

Jul 18, 2013
    I'd say GGG-Canelo is worthy of PPV and if it happened today would surpass 1m buys, but not much more than that.
    I believe it brings in more buys than Canelo - Cotto based on Golovkin's worldwide appeal.

kriszhao likes this.
  4. Kush

Kush Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 16, 2007
    No GGGs only brings in about an extra 50k ppv buys from EE fans

Canelo vs Cotto 2 is bigger

5. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    The PPV will be in the U.S. and possibly, maybe, bt unlikely in the U.K. So world wide appeal means nothing.

6. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    ...it's YUUUUUUUUUUUGE.

No, seriously, Trump-penis-sized. :sherlock:

Bustajay, K.D and MVC! like this.
  7. Nay_Sayer

Nay_Sayer On Rick James Status banned Full Member

May 25, 2009
    It doesn't.

Canelo Bumlovkin does 600K PPVs TOPS.

Bumlovkin just isn't a PPV attraction...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  8. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    No. It'll do more than 600k, but for the wrong sort of reasons.

9. The Shockmaster

The Shockmaster SOG has 4 children...he pulls out of nothing banned Full Member

Apr 19, 2014
    people sure love watching him when hes on for free on the network they watch game of thrones on....because, well, people love watching trainwrecks(not the amy schumer movie)......when they have to fork over 50 bucks to watch one trainwreck? not so much

10. Nay_Sayer

May 25, 2009
    What has Bumlovkin ever done on his own?

Based on what exactly? Bumlovkin's last US PPV buy rate?

This fight isn't doing anywhere close to 1Mil PPV buys. Not gonna happen.

Based on WHAT exactly? You got any HARD numbers or FACTS to back up this nonsense?

pincai and IsaL like this.
  11. Nay_Sayer

May 25, 2009
    Really?

When is the last time either guy sold more the 600K PPVs?

12. Nay_Sayer

May 25, 2009
    :deal:

Which is why Alvarez has Cotto's name in his mouth. The Cotto rematch is bigger than the Bumlovkin fight...

13. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Never, but one participated in the second all-time highest grossing boxing Pay-Per-View, and the other is HBO's biggest current star. They haven't reached that number on their own in mismatches with no-names, but they've never fought a dance partner with the market value of each other to drive buys up with a "greater than its parts' sum" quotient of interest. Does that somehow not make sense to you?

14. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Meh, perhaps if Miguel had done anything since to rekindle his previous fire. (beaten literally any top-15 middle - or even somebody at 154lb, and looked good doing it)

15. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    What? HBOs biggest star is clearlt Canelo. GGG is HBOs most hyped fighter if taht's what you meant...

Cotto is also a bigger star than GGG, at least in the U.S., Mexico, and Puerto Rico (3 of the biggest boxing markets).