Why Do You Dislike Gennady Golovkin?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by LomachenkoIsTBE, Oct 26, 2016.

1. LomachenkoIsTBE

LomachenkoIsTBE Member banned Full Member

Oct 9, 2016
    As a huge GGG fan, this is how I see GGG in a nutshell:

Exciting, laughably hard hitting elite pressure fighter who happens to have a good defence for his style, extremely similar of Julio Cesar Chavez.

GGG is not an ATG. He may end up as HOF because 1. He is unquestionably the most ducked fighter in history 2. Highest MW KO% 3. Will most probably break Hopkins' record of title defences.
    - There's a lot of hype surrounding him because of these factors.

Yes, his opponents have not been great, his best opposition are all B class. That's not his fault.

Surely you don't hate him because of that schmuck Abel Sanchez, or because of your paranoia over *******s? That's not fair, at all. He's not even Pacquiao.

With regards to weight:

Golovkin - wants to unify, not run from the titleholders like a Ducky. If there's a big money fight at 154 vs May or 168 vs Froch or Chavez, then he'll take it as he considers them both his legacy and cashing out fights to end his career on and the action of leaving his prime weight will be worth sacrificing his prime.

It's not Golovkin's fault he was ducked by 17 lineal champs/titleholders and has thus become the most feared in boxing history.

Andre Ward = at SMW for 9 years. Had the chance to unify otherwise he wouldn't have moved up - he'd have unfinished business. Even after unifying, he dragged the LHW champ Dawson from 175 to 168, not even a catchweight, because he didn't want to move up - he hadn't outgrown his weight class, like Golovkin hasn't outgrown his.

Marvin Hagler = MW for all of his career
    Carlos Monzon = MW for all of his career

Middleweight is his natural weight class, just as it was Monzon's and Hagler's - they stayed there for their whole career and no one cared.

Shall we just all trash GGG together for choosing to be in AIBA till 24 years old and going for glory there and ending up an ATG AIBA boxer? The AIBA's mean a lot.

He shouldn't have to leave the weight class just to secure fights. He's a pressure fighter for God's sake - they don't rise in weight class like the defensive boxers, do.
    If GGG moves up, who wins? The shameful ducking titlists at Middleweight, their corrupt promoters. Boxing takes a loss.

- He is pushed by networks because of his exciting style and the fear he instils in the division
    - For only a few fights against no namers on HBO, 97-150k PPV buys isn't bad, especially when you consider Terence Crawford only had 50-60k AND he's a home fighter.

devon2, guy3050, Omair and 1 other person like this.
  2. K.D

K.D Active Member Full Member

Apr 13, 2016
    I like GGG, but I'll tell you why people may dislike him.

First of all, he's not willing to take the risks that other fighters had to take. He wants a 75-25 split against Jacobs, and won't stretch to 60-40. He is not willing to take a lesser share for 1 fight for the bigger share in the later fights. GGG-Jacobs would be a big, good fight - but GGG isn't willing to work.
    Canelo had to take 5 million, while Cotto pocketed 30+ million. This is because Canelo was willing to take the lesser share now, for the bigger shares later. The same with mayweather how he accepted only a few thousand when TR were low on funds.

Secondly, thinking he is worth more than 10 million. It would be a career-high payday for GGG, but somehow he believes he is due a percentage, for what? fighting b-level opposition? Like you said?

Not willing to take the risk by moving up weight classes. At 34 years old he has not once moved up in weight, he has stayed comfortable knocking bums out at 160.

Not many reasons to dislike GGG really, generally the people who dislike him are just your typical keyboard warriors looking for anything negative to say.
    And people saying racism playing a part? Really people? Are we living in the 1900s still?

joe brown and alexthegreatmc like this.
  3. The Shockmaster

The Shockmaster SOG has 4 children...he pulls out of nothing banned Full Member

Apr 19, 2014
    i give ggg plenty of gruff....for the reasons you stated and more....and im a white male in his mid 30's....

in general...im tired of his fans making EVERY excuse under the sun for him when i know theyve bashed way more accomplished fighters for less

joe brown, Pimp C, IsaL and 4 others like this.
  4. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Coming out and saying he won't ever fight Chris Eubank Jr is one of them. Why would you even say something like that?

5. Gil Gonzalez

Gil Gonzalez Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jun 15, 2012
    I hate him because of his fans. And I hate his trainer too. And his promoter. And everyone he fights.

6. Salty Dog

Salty Dog My name is Buck and I'm here to... Full Member

Sep 5, 2008
    This about sums it up. Except for the "bums" part, maybe.

7. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    when did he say that, seeing as the man in my avatar took junior to school

8. LomachenkoIsTBE

Oct 9, 2016
    I do partially agree. I would however state that Cotto had good drawing power, Cotto took $15m apparently. $30m is far too Mayweather-esque.
    It is interesting how you said 'lesser share now, for bigger shares later'. I would have this view but I wonder what is in the mind of GGG's financial handlers. 40% is far too big for Jacobs regardless. Jacobs isn't a draw at all, and 40% is just another form of saying 'I'm ducking you' (financial form of duck).

Golovkin will continue to bargain with Canelo because the fight is not set in stone yet. It's early days and the fight looks AT LEAST as late as the end of 2017. I'd be doing the same thing if I were him.
    With mega fights, it takes two to tango. Case in point: May-Pac, 4.4 or 5m PPV buys, May-Berto, 440k PPV buys. Canelo is getting a huge figure precisely because of Golovkin.

With regards to moving up weight classes, I'm all for that and love that Lomachenko is doing that but Golovkin at least deserves the chance to unify. We're boxing's biggest fans, who else is going to want the best for boxing more than what's best in the short term? Golovkin moves up to face DeGale and other top 168lbers and it will validate the culture of being a belt holder cashing out with an easily awarded belt and never letting true champions like Golovkin unify.

It's a shame, I do think racism plays a part. I think it's also paranoia because they think anyone who is not an Al Haymon-esque fighter who is about the hip hop culture, is on their hit list - and there is a demographic who hate these types of fighters.
    I imagine these people to be the more paranoid types in the outside world and relatively less socially adept as a result of it.

TigerDariusz and guy3050 like this.
  9. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I don't like him by default.

I always back the underdog.

thejudochop likes this.
  10. LomachenkoIsTBE

Oct 9, 2016
    He said that because Eubank Jr ducked him in a ridiculous way that even Saunders laughed about it.

11. LomachenkoIsTBE

Oct 9, 2016
    The difference is, you're a white male in his mid 30's that has a strong bias for Al Haymon-esque fighters with a hip hop culture to them. You're a part of the 'Demographic' and that has no race.

12. LomachenkoIsTBE

Oct 9, 2016
    Buck Owens looks like GGG's face with Julio Cesar Chavez's facial features. You should start hating Owens just a little.
    I hate his trainer but don't hate him just because his fans can be annoying. He doesn't own or support them.

13. LomachenkoIsTBE

Oct 9, 2016
    So you backed the contenders against Rocky Balboa when he became champion after his rematch victory over Creed?

joe brown likes this.
  14. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Canelo ducked him loads of times. Why is he still obsessing over that fight? You don't need to tell me is cos of the pay day. I know that.

Point is , canelo mugged him around for years in full view. Its not known for sure exactly what happened with him and Jr.
    It looked more like they used Jr as a patsy more than anything else.
    Golovkin has no reason at all to say he'll never fight Eubank.

Canelo and saunders would get slaughterd and ran out the sport if they said that.

15. Gannicus

Gannicus 2014 Poster of the Year Full Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Oh I treated it as if Golovkin said that but you're saying Canelo said that. I'm not bothered defending Canelo lol.