Has Super 6 Been A Sucsess?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by mog234, Apr 9, 2011.


  1. UniversalPart

    UniversalPart Boxing Junkie Full Member

    14,967
    12,347
    Jul 1, 2010
    Tournaments aren't supposed to last this long.....
     
  2. Henke67

    Henke67 One of the 45% Full Member

    9,468
    377
    Feb 10, 2009
    You said that the tournament didn't involve the best fighters at 168 though and the best thing you can say about a guy you'd have included is that he "wouldn't have made the tournament any worse"?

    No-one is blaming Ward for fighting Abraham because he didn't actively seek him out - he's fighting the guy he's contracted to fight. No-one is clamouring to see it but, if nothing else, it gives Abraham a chance to redeem himself. Outside of this tournament, if Kessler had been totally out-fought by Ward, would he have walked into a fight with Froch? No but he got a chance and he took advantage of it.
     
  3. watcher

    watcher Active Member Full Member

    528
    0
    Apr 26, 2006
    I said it didn't involve the best because they didn't distinguish themselves. They haven't separated themselves from the rest. I didn't say Andrade was the best. I said he was equal to them. When you switch equal fighters, you don't make the tournament better and you don't make the tournament worse.
    Why is it so hard for you to understand that there is no best among equals? Your difficulty with logic is getting tiresome.
    Bute, Froch, Kessler and Ward are a step above, but you can't yet know which one is the best. Abraham, Magee, Andrade, maybe Stieglitz, Dirrell and perhaps a few others are roughly equal. There is no best here. That's all I'm saying.
     
  4. Atlanta

    Atlanta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

    18,688
    6
    Dec 26, 2009
    No. Takes too long between fights to be an actual tournament.
     
  5. Henke67

    Henke67 One of the 45% Full Member

    9,468
    377
    Feb 10, 2009
    This makes sense if you consider Magee and Stieglitz as good as Abraham and Dirrell I suppose. I can't see the argument for that though.

    Froch, Kessler and Ward are 3 of the top 4 fighters at the weight and, Bute aside, I'd say this tournament does involve the best fighters at the weight.
     
  6. watcher

    watcher Active Member Full Member

    528
    0
    Apr 26, 2006
    Magee is better than Allan Green. Now, if Magee had been the replacement, you wouldn't have faulted Ward for facing him, just like you didn't fault Ward for facing Green or his upcoming fight with Abraham. Yet you (I don't know if you specifically, but many people on here) fault Bute for fighting Magee.
    This double-standard, I don't agree with.
    If you consider a match-up to be ****, and you don't want to pay to see it, then it doesn't matter if it was organized within a big tournament or without.
     
  7. Henke67

    Henke67 One of the 45% Full Member

    9,468
    377
    Feb 10, 2009
    I've never been impressed by Green. I do think Glen Johnson, even at this stage of his career, is a good replacement though.

    Bute has been put in a tough spot because a lot of potential opponents have been wrapped up in this tournament, so I haven't given him a hard time for the fights he's taken in the last couple of years.

    If I consider a match-up **** then I don't pay to see it, simple as that.
     
  8. MrMagic

    MrMagic Loyal Member Full Member

    39,534
    72
    Oct 28, 2004
    Not necessarily a success, but not a farce or a failure.

    I've enjoyed the tournament and I enjoy every character that's been part of it.
     
  9. booradley

    booradley Mean People Kick Ass! Full Member

    39,848
    16
    Aug 29, 2006
    On some levels the S6 has been a success. It gave us some good fights, and brought a lot of attention to a division that was virtually ignored for many years.

    On a more personal level it turned me from Froch hater to Froch fan. Carl is just a hell of a fighter, and deserves a lot of credit for his accomplishments.

    On some levels the S6 has been disappointing. All the venues, money, fight dates, et should have been worked out ahead of time.
     
  10. KO KIDD

    KO KIDD Loyal Member Full Member

    31,397
    7,328
    Oct 5, 2009
    yes and no

    yes cause it creates unification of the WBA and WBC and takes top flight fighters and has them fight each other. It created a star out of Ward and gave Johnson a second chance.

    Kessler vs Froch was a war, Johnson vs Green was a great KO, Abraham vs Taylor was a great KO, Dirrel put on a great clinic of Abraham

    and No cause 2 fighters dropped out and a less than satisfactory replacement in Green was brought in, They left out the longest reigning title holder in Bute, they put the entire division in a lockout, leaving the rest of the division in a crappy state, Dirrel got hurt on a blatant foul from Abraham, Ward refuses to leave Oakland, Taylor had to exit the tournament, these interruptions make it take forever and would be simple with single elim

    So yes and no
     
  11. watcher

    watcher Active Member Full Member

    528
    0
    Apr 26, 2006
    :good
     
  12. Pound4poundx

    Pound4poundx Well-Known Member Full Member

    2,292
    0
    Mar 25, 2008
    True, but that will last only if he beats Johnson.
     
  13. DanishFightfan

    DanishFightfan Boxing Junkie banned

    7,546
    4
    Mar 7, 2011
    The tournament was a nice idea and provided us with some excellent fights... It was awesome news when the boxing world found out that 18 fights had been "scheduled" between the elite fighters of the SMW division+ semi and finals.
    However it had its flaws, they should have agreed on from the start who the judges should have been, not just picking them as the tournament progressed, all 3 judges should be from neutral countries aswell as the refs.(There was a rule from the start that said that all boxers could have 1 judge per fight who was from their home country, but 1 of the 3 had to neutral, also the ref had to from a neutral country) but apparently Ward had the right to sh't on the rules).
    And then all 6 boxers should have 1 away fight, 1 home fight and 1 fight at a neutral venue... If all 6 boxers could agree to these circumstances the tournament would have been great..
     
  14. northpaw

    northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

    17,535
    11,257
    Jun 5, 2010
    this, :thumbsup
     
  15. Wig

    Wig Boxing Addict Full Member

    6,785
    4,229
    May 31, 2010
    It's been more of a success than the OP's spelling lessons.

    The fact you've got posters like this 'watcher' kiddie hunched over his computer like a rabid ****** whacking off at fantasy matchups involving King Arthur tells you its been a success.

    The tournament format isn't neccesarily the best idea, but the fact you end up with six consistent* names by default of them being in the super six, means you end up with the 'best' fighting the best. Everyone is an expert in hindsight.



    *barring dropouts... ah wait a minute