‘I train myself’

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Twentyman, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    What are people’s thoughts on the whole ‘I train myself talk’ from Eubank...is it really an issue...is he better doing it that way or is it holding him back in his development?

I’m baffled but genuinely interested in his attitude. He seems to actually believe that he doesn’t require input and sees this as a weakness in Groves that he admits to relying on his team. I find this quite odd.

2. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Let’s see how it works when he steps up for the second time in his career.

If he loses again then even he will be questioning that strategy as it goes against every other successful fighter in the game today.

I don’t see how getting input from an outside perspective could be anything other than positive.

3. Scyson

Scyson Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 14, 2017
    In reality his dad trains him.

4. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    5 years ago Jr was never going to get to British level according to the majority here, he must be doing something right.

Jr is known as being extremely well conditioned, better conditioned than many blokes who have world class "trainers"

Jr doesn't need a trainer to kick him up the arse to get in shape because he loves training.

Jr spars more than most fighters and has used this method of training to learn his craft.

Everybody says he looks a million dollars on the pads, so he has that down.

Tbh if you train as hard as Jr you can't not improve, ffs it's impossible.

Jr trains non stop, he doesn't just train for 2 camps a year, if Jr had a trainer they wouldn't have time to train anyone else.

lencoreastside and Scyson like this.
  5. Scyson

Scyson Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 14, 2017
    I’ve got him on snapchat and he’s relentlessly training and sparring. And that’s just small glimpses of what we see.

6. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    I think jnr can adequetly do everything himself except technical work imo.
    Theres little things he might not be noticing himself that he could be doing wrong or he could be doing better. someone watching him and giving advice wont go amiss.
    Im pretty sure his father and ronnie will be filling this roll tho

Sugar 88 and lencoreastside like this.
  7. dellboi94

dellboi94 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 3, 2013
    When it comes to fight nigh, ultimately it is down to the fighter and the fighter alone so I don't really have an issue with Jr's mind set. Also, he's come along way when a lot of people years ago said he was garbage.

Camaris likes this.
  8. delboy82

delboy82 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2014
    If anyone thinks that he doesnt have guys in to help with training then they are nuts. The guy has had plenty of guys in throughout his career. He might not stay with them but he has had plenty of trainers in. The benefit of this is that he picks up loads of different POV's and methods. The bad thing is that he loses that relationship where trainers then get the absolute best out of people. Pro's and Cons to changing trainers and the team often.

I still think his footwork is his biggest weakness and if/when he loses it will be down to this. IMO he will always have trouble with guys that move well on the back foot and jab well. If people wanna slug with him them there are very few people on the planet that will beat him.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  9. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Personally think it’s bravado and bs...Or he’s thick and doesn’t understand the different between training yourself and having a coach who oversees and organises everything...

Seems pretty obvious Ronnie Davies organises and oversees everything, including sparring.

10. BigCal94

BigCal94 Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2016
    It's just press conference talk.

He's been over at the Mayweather gym numerous times and trained with SNR for starters.

11. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    I think he does have a trainer as such but he probably gets the final say in what he does. Personally think its a good way of working if the person knows whats necessary anyway. Sometimes a coach does hold you back. Motivation can go when your doing something you dont thinks necessary etc. No one knows someone more than themselves afterall. He appears to be as motivated as anyone so maybe its not been a bad thing. A lot of fighters come in everyday to be told exactly what to do. Told exactly what to eat. Told the exact game plan for the fight. When things start to go wrong these guys have got used to relying on other people a little bit too much...they then struggle
    to get themselves out of trouble.

I think it,s helped in his development overall tho. He does appear to be self sufficient in pretty much everything he does tbf to him.

12. Bensub

Bensub Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 17, 2015
    The reason is that they want to keep all money in house, no trainer, no PR team, no management, Daddy does it all.

13. Tazz

Tazz Member Full Member

Dec 24, 2009
    They seem to have a funny view of the purpose of a trainer. Ronnie Davies admitted after the press conference that he does everything other than hold the pads. Eubank Jr has someone else for that.

ryanm8655 likes this.
  14. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Each to their own, Jnr has a mentality where he thrives being different. He obviously has the drive to do many aspects of training on his own, most importantly his physical exercise.

In terms of technique though he would improve with a top trainer looking over him, that is abundantly clear when watching Jnr box. He makes mistakes which are made up by sheer will.

He lost to Billy Joe simply because he was out boxed in the early part of the fight, with a technical coach looking over him that may not have been the case.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Sugar 88 likes this.
  15. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I think his attitude is bonkers. In big fights not having or using such support could well be his undoing. I noticed he's improved slipping shots and his dad said he had improved in this area as he got Errol Graham to train him in this area hence big improvements. So he obviously does get training to some degree but obviously his EGO won't accept someone else calling the shots.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017