“A waste of talent”

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, May 9, 2021.

1. boxberry92

boxberry92 Member Full Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I just find the Billy Joe Saunders scenario very similar to Kell Brooks.

Kell Brook put on a great performance beating Shawn Porter in 2014, then he spent 2 years fighting fringe world class contenders and the three times he stepped up to the top level thereafter, he was pretty much outclassed and stopped every time.

Shawn Porter on the other hand after he lost to Brook, boxed Broner, Berto and Thurman and in 2018 whilst Brook was busy beating Zerafa, Porter regained his world title beating Danny Garcia. In his last foray into world class Brook was stopped in 4 rounds by Crawford, meanwhile Porter arguably gave Spence the hardest fight of career in 2019.

To a degree styles can make fights, but Brook was at the same level as Porter in 2014, Brook declined due to level of competition whereas Porter maintained and improved his level of performance for the same reason. It's why Ricky Burns beat Kevin Mitchell and why people like Frank Lampard end up having a better careers than Paul Gascoigne.

When English football teams were banned from European football after the Heysel disaster it took almost a decade after the ban was lifted for an English team to win the Champions League.

Whilst a good promoter and the option of multi-titles is useful at the start of a boxers career as they gain experience, it actually harms their legacy when they reach top level due to different promoters, governing bodies and tv stations not working together.

If Shawn Porter had been with Eddie Hearn from 2014 onwards, and Kell Brook with Al Haymon I believe Porter would of had the same career as Brook and vice-versa. Financially though they have probably made the same money.

2. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I thought he fought very well the other night.
    He was well in the fight up up until the 8th round there was no shame in them pulling him out his eye socket was shattered, this isn’t the thirties.
    Having said that he’s actually under achieved despite winning 2 belts. The ability and talent was there to achieve more.

BubblesUK likes this.
  3. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    That just about sums it up.

BubblesUK and DON1 like this.
  4. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Spot on.

At least with Kell you knew he wanted the best. Spence, Porter & GGG prove that. Bill never really chased greatness.

5. Gomo

Gomo Active Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Billy has so much natural abilty, just imagine if he had canelos dedcation he would be some fighter.

I think the other night just highlighted how good billy could have been if he hadnt wasted his prime .

But hes just another in a long list that never reached his full potential.

Cecil likes this.
  6. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    It’s a universal law to never be perfect we can always have done more. However I always give the boxer the benefit of the doubt. They risk everything for cash that often parts ways with them long before the brain damage sets in and I just hope they retire the moment they lose the drive to be at there best.

Cecil likes this.
  7. dragon666

dragon666 Active Member Full Member

Apr 28, 2021
    I think if he had a couple of bigger names like Jacobs and Golovkin on his resume he'd be looked at in a different light.

I think he'd have lost to both Jacobs and Golovkin due to their strength. He wouldn't have won the lottery ticket at 160 to fight Canelo if he fought better competition there.

Saunders might be a better natural boxer than Jacobs but he lacks the strength of Jacobs.

I don't think it was completely Billy's fault with the GGG - Canelo scenario as he had to play a waiting game. Lemieux was easy pickings stylistically and was a good matchup to take on enemy territory.

Brixton Bomber likes this.