“Pace yourself” is a losing strategy, why do world class fall for this nonsense?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Ricdog, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Wlad after the Brewster fight learned to pace himself. He went all out in a war of attrition and gassed hard. Damn near collapsed walking back to his corner. It never happened again to that degree. He went on to hold a title for 10 years.

2. Ricdog

Ricdog Active Member Full Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Good insight about the modern weight cutting issue, hadn’t thought of that. Indeed the power difference is understandable to make fighters cautious.

My criticism isn’t that I want fighters to punch themselves out as some other responders on here. Slowing down the pace is great if that’s what a fighter wants, but I just think the cost maybe too great in terms of losing points. Or not?

This is not a very good example since he lost anyway, but I want to bring up Pacquiao vs Bradley 1. Pacquiao had cramps if I remember , so he wanted to fight at a slow pace. But PAC knew he couldn’t just give up all the rounds, so he turn it up the last 30 seconds to try and steal the rounds. Most people thought PAC won thanks to those late round flurries, without them he would lose the rounds clearly.

So I’m okay with pacing, but I guess I just question its usefulness if it means losing too many rounds without putting any resistance to the opponent. What do you think?

p.s. This does not reflect on the fighters, but for the fans it also does make for a boring fight. And many start accusing the slow fighter of clearly just trying to survive, just there for the paycheck or question is will to win. Unfair, but it’s true

exocet76 likes this.
  3. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012

It can definitely backfire, going with too low a punch output. That burned Hopkins a couple of time

4. Skins

Skins Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Funny we get all these threads about how today's fighters are better because of their amazing training techniques and conditioning and these guys can't even go 12 hard rounds.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  5. Hanz Cholo

Hanz Cholo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    In my opinion,
    I think he should have started opening up & taking more chances since fight #2 instead of boxing off the back foot when Canelo pressed him in the 2nd half of that fight.

especially knowing the judges will simply not give him the decision in a close fight vs canelo it seems.

It’s always been my belief including in fight 2 & 3 that he should go for the KO even if getting violently KO’d himself.

Think Márquez Vs Paquiao 4
    Similiar circumstances 40 year old Márquez moving up in weight against an opponent he simply could not get the decision over.
    that gamble paid off BIG for Márquez!

i agree he should have gone all out.
    I’m just stating why he likely didn’t.

not everybody is built the same & that takes huge balls as it’s extremely risky.

GGG can now go back down to 160lbs as champion & go for undisputed virtually unscathed, undamaged & unspoiled.
    So that safety 1st approach is a smarter business decision that will lengthen his career.
    (even though we fans like seeing KOs.)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    Ricdog likes this.
  6. deadACE

deadACE Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 13, 2014
    I was thinking about this the other day. How did the fighters of yester year go 15 rounds. They must have trained to go 15 rounds and had previously done 15 rounds in competition so their bodies were conditioned for it. The fighters of today could do the same if they trained to do so but the pace of the fight would be slower I'd assume.

Skins likes this.
  7. exocet76

exocet76 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2012
    I don't disagree with you.
    It becomes a question then of balance and yes on the outside both GGG and Loma slightly misjudged that balance by not having enough time to pull all those rounds back. It wasn't by a lot but clearly enough to lose the fight.
    Both instances are different in some respects as the boxers are different in both dynamics and styles but the net result is the same.
    I think it maybe partly difficult to gauge in terms of being in the fight as well as what your corner is telling you.
    A bit like say Joshua in his first fight with Usyk in terms of not really getting hurt till the end but getting told he's doing brilliant when to everyone watching from the outside he's getting outpointed other than a few mid rounds.
    So I don't always think it's easy for a fighter to gauge as easy as people observing watching TV with multiple angles and slow no.

Ricdog likes this.
  8. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Screw pacing yourself in a marathon too your losing precious ground in that first mile you will never get back

dcb154 likes this.
  9. Oddone

Oddone Bermane Stiverne's life coach. Full Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Yeah sure. Super easy amirite?

Tons of guys can pull it off and win legit titles at forty eight years old. That must be why you see so many of them. Oh wait, Hopkins is literally the only one.

10. exocet76

exocet76 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Have you not heard of the hare and the tortoise?
    I raced road / mountain / BMX bikes when younger and know that to be very much the case. In early races I went balls out only to get wrecked by the end of the race. So yeah pacing oneself whatever the discipline does matter. When your shot you have nothing left and if you've ever competed at anything you would know this.

tinman likes this.
  11. Ricdog

Apr 10, 2015
    I meant his general approach of trying to control the pace of the fight to a preference, which plenty of fighters due in their own way. Not that they have to have exact style/skills as him.

12. Oddone

Oddone Bermane Stiverne's life coach. Full Member

Aug 18, 2019
    You mean by pacing yourself?

Didn't you call that a losing stategy in the title? You ok bud?

13. Ricdog

Apr 10, 2015
    Agreed that a fighter may not know how the fight is going. Indeed I put just as much, if not more blame, on the corner.

Round 12 against Quartey, De La Hoya showed he’s willing to go all out and punch to exhaustion to get the win. But against Trinidad, he didn’t throw a single punch towards the end of the fight. All because his corner told him to cruise it to the finish line. Easily the biggest regret of Oscar’s career and technically wasn’t his fault. But it’s that makes me question any strategy that involves purposely giving away multiple rounds.

exocet76 likes this.
  14. Ricdog

Apr 10, 2015
    We’ll for specifics I would say using slight feints, lateral movement, clinching to break up the action, etc.. but that’s besides the point. My real issue when they willingly give up rounds by not engaging. Maybe my memory is wrong, but Hopkins actually still tried to win rounds with counters and accuracy. Even if he had a slower punch output.

Or again I use the (bad) example of PAC vs Bradley 1. Pacquiao was clearly pacing himself, but still actively trying to win rounds by closing them out strong.

15. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Idiot. Marathoners do pace themselves. That's why they run the first mile of the race at a much slower than all out pace.