⭐⭐⭐Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder III WEIGH IN LIVE!⭐⭐⭐

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by drenlou, Oct 8, 2021.

1. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Odds can be a manipulative way to discuss resumes because they represent fights in a lense slanted by expectations of the favored fighter, in a way that handicaps favorites, instead of just judging the total weight of the resume.

Examples of what I mean, because not sure I worded that well.

Fighter A is a level 10 fighter.
    He's fighting B, a level 7 fighter.

He's -300 to win. Solid favorite.

Fighter C is perceived as a level 8 fighter.
    He's fighting D, a level 7 Fighter.

He's -110 to win. Near even let's say.

On paper, going strictly by odds, the fighter beating the lower level fighter will have a better resume than the fighter fighting the actual better fighters.

Example in boxing.

Mayweather was roughly -280 against Canelo.
    Canelo was roughly the same to beat Cotto.

On paper, going strictly by odds... these are equal wins.

When in reality, when dealing with the totality of the fights, opponents, ect... obviously Canelo makes for the objectively better win.
    But you can skew comparisons by skiming over just the odds and think those are comparable victories, when they're not.

Another example. You bring up AJ and his loss to Usyk and how he was the underdog.

That underdog is arguably better than anyone Fury has fought period.

You can talk about odds all you want, at the end of the day AJs underdog would arguably be Furys best opponent.

If these dont combine to show the flaws in comparing resumes using odds then idk what to say.

Malieke.H likes this.
  2. Malieke.H

Malieke.H New Member banned Full Member

Oct 2, 2021
    Everything he said true

Fury is good fighter, but p*ssied out of Klitschko rematch, caught using PEDs, lie about donating purse to charity, fighting pointless 3rd fight with Wilder, holding up unification like AJ is right now, lie about covid 19, talk trash 24/7.

Not so honorable now is he

3. NEETzschean

NEETzschean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2021
    I'm not even talking about perceived absolute ability, I'm talking about mismatches and Fury's had far fewer of them than AJ, Wilder or other relatively recent top heavyweights. Fury has had many fights, especially early in his career, where he's struggled but won anyway, several fights where most picked against him. When AJ has struggled he's lost 40% of the time and most were favouring him to win in every fight he's ever had. Lewis, Wlad and Vitali were underdogs in one career fight apiece (Ruddock, Lewis, AJ). These fighters were nearly always heavily expected to win against what the industry assumed were overmatched opponents and this was essentially true as they had a combined record of 149-7-1 as favourites and 150-9-1 overall.

4. red corner

red corner Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 9, 2021
    Yes it is.

5. red corner

red corner Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 9, 2021
    They both agreed not to share the testing results.

6. JCMG1

JCMG1 Member Full Member

Mar 22, 2021
    Williams is getting worked by a bus driver.

7. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Excellent damn post.

NEETzschean likes this.