10 fighters with the most difficult styles to fight against

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Luigi1985, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Luigi1985

Luigi1985 Cane Corso Full Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Name them, and why they were/ are so difficult to fight against...

2. Pat_Lowe

Pat_Lowe Active Member Full Member

Feb 26, 2006
    I'll start with Tommy Hearns, 6"1, had a long reach and carried massive power in his right hand. His jab was one of the best ever and his overall skills and movement were also exceptional. He was never really outboxed in his career, that shows how difficult it was to beat him.

3. Vantage_West

Vantage_West ヒップホップ·プロデューサー Full Member

Jul 11, 2006
    winky
    toney
    calzaghe
    casamayor
    ali(at the time very awkward)
    augustus (not very talented but his style defintly wins him the fights)
    ruiz
    jones
    hearns
    whitaker

to be honest im just picking the best stylist of the sport :good

4. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006

Good example, a fighter with his size, reach, skills and power would be difficult for EVERY 147 lbs´er ever... :thumbsup

5. Vantage_West

Jul 11, 2006
    even at other wieghts he was still spectacular.

6. ThePlugInBabies

ThePlugInBabies ♪ ♫ Full Member

Jan 27, 2007
    can see paul williams making this sort of list in the future.

anywany, corbett must have been a nightmare to match up against back in that day and age, with his scientific approach that so many would have been alien to.

7. Vantage_West

Jul 11, 2006
    i would like to bring your attention to john ruiz becuase i think he a horrible tough style he can punch has wieght and a bit of hieght which he uses to crush squash and manipulate his opponant.

hugging is a good phrase to use but the guy can defintly win against alot of fighters

8. Vantage_West

Jul 11, 2006
    :good very good one.

what about greb threw alot of punches was small slipped and did this for the whole fight throuhg there is no way you can look good against him

9. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006

Yeah, you´re right, but I meant at 147 lbs he would be even for the greatest 147 lbs´er a brutal matchup (SRR, Napoles, etc.), at 154 lbs and especially 160 lbs he would be still very good and dangerous but not as dangerous as at 147 lbs...

10. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006
    Valuev is also a candidate, his all-in-one-package of size, weight, chin, stamina is pretty nasty IMO...

11. Vantage_West

Jul 11, 2006
    but he never had a good workrate this was the problem he would never throw more than 50 punches at most.

his power came from hieght and wieght not natural power.

but yeah a good call very hard to look good against chagaev didnt look so slick agains thim either.

12. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    1) Vito Antufermo, if he didn't cut he had a strong crowding style and threw good combo's,made Hagler struggle in 1st fight,tender skin and a protruding forehead hurt him, 2) Sweet Saol Mamby, hard guy to fight,a boxer with weird angles and moves. 3) Jimmy Young, no power, but he had defensive skills, good legs and fast flurries,pop,pop,pop, 4) Rocky Marciano, fought out of a lean back crouch and when you reached in to punch would catch you off guard with a flurries and hit you in places like collar bone,neck,ear,funny bone, not a comfortable guy to fight and deceptive defence and offence 5) Walcott, great legs, good hand speed and angle, great balance,pinpoint power in both hands, 6) Joe Calzage, southpaw speed, good movement, 7) Sweet pea Whitaker, good speed,fighting low,hiding through ropes,good jab and movement,angles 8) Vitali Klitschko, tall, fast, weird angles and off beat rytym, solid chin, power in both hands and awkward style....this list is not in order

13. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006

For a man of his size and weight, he has a pretty high pace, and with his power, well, when he was hyped in the States power-wise (after the Barrett- fight) I was the one who said, that he isn´t a puncher, he just wears his opponents down with his enormous size and weight, but like I wrote, his combinations of chin, size, weight, pace, etc. is pretty hard, I would prefer fighting someone like Briggs than Valuev... :D

14. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I'll have a pop.

Holman Williams - Very difficult to hit due to quicks and smarts, a superb boxer who is adept at building points and pinching rounds, chin like a horse.

Jersey Joe Walcott - Hard to analyse and spar for, cute, a powerful puncher who is adept at punching around a corner and over a short distance. Durable, fantastic ring general.

Carlos Monzon - Impossible to draw out of his own game plan, which he is absolutley expert at. Great and fast puncher. Big.

Marco Atonio Barrera - What a great, adaptable fighter. Want to slug with him? 50/50 are the best your chances will be. Feel like boxing? You will lose, unless you are an absolute master. Also awkward because he is a fantastic "one arm" combination puncher, so left hook, left uppercut is possible for him. Horrible.

Archie Moore - Shares Walcott's awkwardness, but with an added understanding of the human condition. I will never forget reading stories of how he would expose the scar tissue on his stomach (post op) to a supposed punch and then coutnering before his man even landed. The KO king.

Sugar Ray Leonard - Just so elusive when it was neccesary. People try to devalue his win over Hearns because it's aid that Hearns was weight drained, but I think slugging it out with him at exactly the right moment was a beutiful thing, regardless.

Ricky Hatton - I don't care who you name - if he weighs under 140 at the weight in he is having a horrible, horrible night of it with Ricky, win, lose or draw.

Fritzie Zivic - Tactical genius. Dirty *******. Butter wouldn't melt facial expressions when called out by the ref.

Jim Jeffries - Yeah keep hitting and keep missing. Come round 18 you'll be ready to go whatever your name is.

Charley Burley - Because if I do a list, Charley is on it. He's also a pinpoint puncher with an almost hypnotic control over the pace of any given fight. This should be Hearns really, but someone already mentioned him.

Honourable mention for the Coco Kid.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  15. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006

Great post! Completely agree with your picks...