117-2-1 heavyweight who never got a shot.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by choklab, Jan 23, 2011.

1. jowcol

jowcol Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Great thread! Blessings to the poster. Want to research him more now! :good

2. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Many thanks. Let me know what you find.:good

3. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Bump.

Amazing to think what could have been made of this guy today when stats and records are so important!

robert ungurean likes this.
  4. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    So do I joebeadg! I'd love to see threads made of various defensive greats...also threads denoting the differences of various defensive styles (instead of so many heavyweight threads...unless it's Jimmy Young of course).

Colonel Sanders likes this.
  5. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Wow. Interesting.

6. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Met him at the fights...think he said tunney was the best heavyweight of his time

The Morlocks likes this.
  7. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Ref’d 492 fights including:
    Holly Mims fight
    Tiger vs Giardiello title fight
    Doug Jones v Billy Daniels
    3 Frankie DePaula fights
    Tom McNeely fight
    Harold Johnson vs Eddie Machen
    Jose Torres fight
    Roland LaStarza fight
    Jose Torres v Randy Sandy
    Kid Gavilan fight

Judged 37 bouts, including:
    Czyz vs Mack
    Hearns vs Sutherland
    Coetzee vs Pinklon Thomas
    Qawi vs Red Top Davis
    Camacho vs Paul
    Harry Arroyo vs Joe Manley
    Bramble vs Busceme
    Hagler vs Cave Man Lee
    Michael Spinks fights
    Eddie Mustafa Mu. Fight
    Saad fight
    Hard Rock Green fight
    Saad vs Y. Lopez
    Y. Lopez vs James Scott
    Scott Frank fight

8. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    He certainly judged a lot of fights. Right into the 1980s. I think he judged Snipes vs Eddie Mustufa.

louis54 likes this.
  9. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    God damn this is crazy. How'd I never hear of him?

10. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    I know! I still can’t get over it. Today a guy like this would get support just on record alone. Back then being exciting, and having the right backers was more important.

roughdiamond likes this.
  11. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    I'm a little confused. Don't you guys ever look at box.rec.com? It may not be complete, but for Paul Cavalier (which apparently was the name under which he fought), his record shows seven losses and three draws, not just two losses. Admitttedly he had a very good record, but as a light heavyweight he lost important fights at strategic times which likely was the reason he never received a title shot. He seems to have graduated to the heavyweight division around 1928, and then (the Galento fight, of course, being a notable exception) chose to usually take on lighter fighters. Also, he seems to have never been matched against the top heavyweights of the era. He's hardly a heavyweight who really deserved a title shot, especially in the era when champions were only defending their titles once a year at best (Carnera is the exception here).

Seems like there's a little hyperbole going on in this thread, as is often the case with this forum.

The Morlocks likes this.
  12. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    I don’t think it was a matter of choosing who he fought. He was not invited into the big leagues and it is documented that he did very well with two world champions in sparring. Sure, The boxrec record is an incomplete record. But The guy went unbeaten for five years. I think there is a case he was frozen out. A lot of fighters are. 117 is rattler a lot of wins.

barberboy2 likes this.
  13. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Interesting to have a guy who’s sparred w all these guys. Surprised he said Tunney was the best.

choklab likes this.
  14. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    My main point is that his boxrec record is there to read by anyone who makes the effort. It shows seven losses and three draws, and it specifies dates and names so it can be checked. Two losses is patently incorrect. Where does the figure of 117 wins come from? Were they pro wins or amateur, or were there really that many? Before we go ga ga over his record and the injustice he may have faced, we ought to explore his career more carefully, particularly in view of the fact that the claim of two losses is blatantly inaccurate on its face.

Also, is the idea that he wasn't invited to the big leagues supposition or fact? Maybe, he wasn't ambitious. Maybe he had a good job outside the ring and he boxed as a sidelight. Maybe he didn't have good management. Maybe he knew at the bottom of his heart that he wasn't good enough to succeed against the big boys, so he didn't go after the stiffest competition (which by the way I think is a legitimate way to approach the sport of boxing). I don't know. You posit a theory that can be explored, but supporting it will take a bit of work.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    The Morlocks likes this.
  15. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Apart from a 21 years old Galento and a 21 years old ,162lb Braddock, who did he beat?
    ps 46-6-3
    Including 4 debutees and 18 with losing records
    His 55 opponents have a total of 490 losses among them!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019