12 year anniversary of one of the greatest fights, Floyd Mayweather vs Ricky Hatton

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by MVC!, Dec 8, 2019.

1. MVC!

MVC! The Best Ever Full Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Undefeated- Floyd Mayweather, Jr vs Ricky Hatton (December 8th, 2007)

One of the most special fights in the modern era. A fight between two undefeated fighters in their primes.

38-0 (Floyd Mayweather #1 p4p fighter, WW champ, 5 weight world champion)

43-0 (Ricky Hatton, lineal champ at 140 lb, former WW champ, 2 weight world champ)

2 fighters with distinctively different personalities. The American boxer vs the British Bulldog.

Produced a great rivalry and of course, the best/most memorable 24/7 series of all time. Don't think this can be disputed.

The weigh in was also stunning (Was there myself), the atmosphere was beyond electric. Crazy stuff by these two men.

Fight was also beautiful to watch. Floyd fought in the phone booth (on the inside) and managed to outmuscle/out fight Hatton there. Was very surprising, Floyd showed that he was clearly the better man in the fight

He showcased his brilliance on the outside as well, being able to defend well and pinpoint Hatton with his accurate right hands again and again throughout the fight. This is what it means to be a complete fighter. Floyd was a very complete fighter that night. Showed us everything in his bag of boxing tricks/techniques. INCLUDING his jab which he demonstrated in the 9th round, connecting on 11/15 of them. It was a pleasure to watch.

Official scores. 89-81, 89-81, 88-2. It was close to a shutout.

And of course, one of the best finishing left hooks in boxing history was displayed in this fight. Floyd's check left hook, absolutely brilliant.

It was a spirited effort by Hatton and he brought out Floyd's best game that night. I think he can be proud of that. Floyd was forced to fight that night. Both men fought their hearts out.

Still, most memorable fight to me.

Legal upload (DISH/SHO)

[yt]CN2SfBZoa84[/yt]

[yt]oDbMVRUDVYc[/yt]