168 ATG Sven Ottke looking sharp!

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by eltirado, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Not in Germany.

2. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    That was disgusting.

KO Artist likes this.
  3. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Sven fought 34 fights.

Wlad fought almost twice as many, fighting the best fighters in his division, bar his brother.

4. Eggman

Eggman "The cream of the crop! Nobody does it better! Full Member

Dec 2, 2015
    correct

bailey likes this.
  5. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Yes.

My point was:

If Sven had fought as many fights as Wlad, and against better opposition, he too would also more than likely have lost 5 fights or so.

I agree with you though, in that even if you don't like him, Sven has to be ranked in the top 10 SMW's of all time.

Jamal Perkins and Eggman like this.
  6. bailey

bailey VIP Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Lol
    So you have had to go away and carefully think how to reply. Then you come back to get owned again.

Now I know you said it wasnt too common. I said I recall several. Not sure what you struggle with there. You say it wasnt too common and I at that time can think of a few indicating it wasnt as uncommon as you seem to imply.

We are talking the SMW division in this thread, so lets look at the WBO SMW title and unifications from when the WBO SMW belt started and up to when Calzaghe left the division and look at the other SMW titles in that time and see how many unifications there were as they were not too often.

WBO/WBC unification was the first SMW unification bout between Leonard and Hearns
    WBO/WBC unication between Eubank and Benn
    WBA/IBF unification between Mitchell and Ottke
    WBA/WBC unification between Kessler and Beyer
    WBO/IBF unification between Calzaghe and Lacy
    WBO/WBA/WBC unification between Calzaghe and Kessler

WBO involved in 4
    WBC involved in 4
    WBA involved in 3
    IBF involved in 2

These are the ones I recall. Though I also recall Park was IBF champ but then won WBA but he wasnt a unified champ that I recall

So looking at the above the WBO at SMW during this period was involved in unifications like the others in the said division.
    Seems it is you who is obviously too obtuse and dense
    Had to spell it out to you. Wasnt common, but no less common than the others in this division by the facts above. Rofl

7. bailey

Dec 11, 2009
    You're too obtuse and dense FFS. I didnt say anything about it being as easy. Not something I have said at all.
    Stop trying to make up what you seem to think I am thinking.

See below again

We are talking the SMW division in this thread, so lets look at the WBO SMW title and unifications from when the WBO SMW belt started and up to when Calzaghe left the division and look at the other SMW titles in that time and see how many unifications there were as they were not too often.

WBO/WBC unification was the first SMW unification bout between Leonard and Hearns
    WBO/WBC unication between Eubank and Benn
    WBA/IBF unification between Mitchell and Ottke
    WBA/WBC unification between Kessler and Beyer
    WBO/IBF unification between Calzaghe and Lacy
    WBO/WBA/WBC unification between Calzaghe and Kessler

WBO involved in 4
    WBC involved in 4
    WBA involved in 3
    IBF involved in 2

From what I recall in that time period

8. bailey

Dec 11, 2009
    ???
    Great post Loudon :clapclap:

9. bailey

Dec 11, 2009
    Have him at #3

10. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Between 1999-early 2002 ...the only boxing i had to watch was heavyweight explosion shows and sven ottke title fights.

I couldnt afford sky...who werent covering america...and boxing on terrestrial tv in the uk was dead apart from audley shows.

So every 2 or 3 months i watched ottke.he was a master,1 of the nost underrated boxers of the last 40 years...a brilliant amateur..turned pro late...he beat the best the SM division had apart from calzaghe who wanted no part truth be told...and most the top americans fought and lost to ottke ...were softened up before calzaghe fought them.......calzaghe has the superior record huge wins over,eubank, lacey,kessler and jones jnr..that make him rightly far higher rated in the retrospectives...but in a head to head in the early 2000s i see sven winning imo. He would have hustled and spoilt joe just like hopkins.i felt hopkins beat calzaghe and exposed his style...i felt imo joe knew it too so retired.

Ottkes record suggest he had no power but foe after hard punching foe he would rush at and theyd cover up,he had a rush and hustle style and rarely got hit..mundine was brilliantly outboxing him until the non puncher champ knocked him comatose with 1 punch...a measure of greatness...he beat glencoffee johnson,brewer twice,robin reid,silvio branco...byron mitchell,mundine....i thoroughly enjoyed his boxing exhibitions...and how the civilised german crowds sat in silence in dining suits applauding his boxing mastery. Retired undefeated though i know many contest this

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    Silly billy likes this.
  11. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Good post.

Just a few points:

Sven didn't seem keen on facing Joe either, and if I'd have been Joe, there's no way I'd have gone to Germany.

Did he beat Brewer twice and Reid?

The Reid fight was unbelievable. Something you'd see in a film.

12. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    I see what you mean...many others do too. The consensus is reid lost.
    I felt reid complained too much .i felt brewer won the 1st fight but lost the second

Silly billy and Loudon like this.
  13. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Ottke is extremely overrated, his best win after after Johnson is SD against Mitchell.

The officiating in the Reid fight is one of biggest digraces to ever happen in boxing.

Loudon likes this.
  14. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012

I said it wasn't common moron.... YOU are so stupid and dense you arguing with me on something you agree with me on. :lol: Good ol Failey .....

15. bailey

Dec 11, 2009
    I know what you said. You just found that you couldn't really properly refute what was written.
    Still. Amusing how you get owned, think about it. Come back and get put down again.
    Good spirit