1908 Jack Johnson vs 1988 Mike Tyson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Mar 5, 2020.

Who wins and how

1. Tyson KO

77.1%
  2. Tyson TKO

7.1%
  3. Tyson UD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Tyson SD

2.9%
  5. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Johnson KO

5.7%
  7. Johnson TKO

1.4%
  8. Johnson UD

5.7%
  9. Johnson SD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. No one beats Jack Johnson!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Samtotheg

Samtotheg Active Member Full Member

May 4, 2021
    https://makeagif.com/i/GFvM31

here is mike tysons signature inside slip then counter left hook, to jabs being thrown at him, I would not dip that low or exaggerated(led to tysons back problems) but thats a good thing to do against counters

https://makeagif.com/i/Eh6J0O

Here is Burns with the same counter concept same punch, only he doesnt dip as far as tyson and moves his head AT THE SAME TIME he throws his punch (so it would actually come out quicker)

https://makeagif.com/i/7kaJiU

here is jack johnson stuffing that counter hook and clinching ,Tyson was no clinch fighter he would spend his time there with a master ,that leads to trouble for tyson.

2. BoxingFanOfIranianDescent

BoxingFanOfIranianDescent Tony Galento was an African American boxer. banned Full Member

May 24, 2021
    Hilarious, Considering Johnsons low KO percentage, (approx 40%) vs Tysons 78% Thinking Johnson would KO Tyson is laughable, when he usually could not do so against the middleweights, greenhorns and old people he fought in his time. Johnson was strong and fit, especially for his time, but Tyson was considerably stronger. All Johnson would do by getting Tyson in a clinch would get a roll combo to his face sending him to the pavement, likely a KO. Compare Tyson's opponents to Johnsons. Johnsons opponents despite usually being small, green or old regularly wen't the distance, Tysons did not.... Tyson KO 1 - 2.

cross_trainer and White Bomber like this.
  3. BoxingFanOfIranianDescent

BoxingFanOfIranianDescent Tony Galento was an African American boxer. banned Full Member

May 24, 2021
    Burns the 5ft 7, 175 pound middleweight who seldom threw more than one slow punch at a time? You must be joking...

4. Guru88

Guru88 Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    Tyson in 1 round

White Bomber likes this.
  5. Samtotheg

May 4, 2021
    you know burns reach was 74 inches to tysons 71 ...he also threw more than one punch ! again casuals do not know what they are looking at , I can find in that philly jack fight multiple times he threw combinations,here is the part you do not grasp , Jack johnson tied you up after the first punch (whether you threw first or he did) so you could not get off a combination. You watch older boxers like wives who dont follow football watch football games ! (why doesnt that team stop that number 80 guy from catching the ball etc) lololol!

6. BoxingFanOfIranianDescent

May 24, 2021
    So reach is everything now? LOL Insults aren't a replacement for arguments. Burns was a middleweight who weighed 175 pounds and was 5ft 7. Johnson had the same reach as Burns, 6 ft tall, and 200 pounds, If reach is everything, why did Burns lose? Maybe burns was a middleweight who never threw a combo with more than two punches. You actually think Burns is even somewhat comparable to Tyson? The Tyson who beat Berbink, Spinks, Holmes (all in 2 rounds or less) Biggs in 7 etc? We are talking about Johnson here, the Johnson who took 15 rounds to get Jeffries who had not fought in 6 years, and had to lose 100 pounds before the fight... Even with that, Jeffries still wasn't actually KO'd.... Johnson could tie up middleweights and old folks real well, but certainly not Tyson who would likely KO Johnson in their first "Clinchoff".

7. Samtotheg

May 4, 2021
    I made an argument with an insult baked in dude! Burns also threw combinations (remember the girlfriend who tries to follows his husbands sport analogy!) A counter left hook to a jab is a counter lead hook to a jab dude, what made tysons counter hooks successful , I reckon its more of the lack of brain or skill by tysons opponents (jabbing in place not tying up the arm throwing the hook) than some superior tyson technique!) I do not care about any of those names those dudes are tomatoes cans, what did they look like on film is more important. When did tyson knock anyone out in the clinches , I am not talking when they are standing close to each other and both him and his opponent have their arms free , I am talking when someone has an underhook overhook position on him, show me on film? Tyson was trash in the clinches

8. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Burns used combinations quite often in fights we have filmed.

Samtotheg likes this.
  9. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    This. Tyson is tailormade for Jack Johnson.

Samtotheg likes this.
  10. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Even though I believe Tyson kos him I've had a think about it, and perhaps in the circumstance s of the time, not so easy?
    Let's say we send Tyson back to Johnson era. He's training ex the same as Jack, eating the same food. And he's also fighting probably every other week /months or so. Now in my opinion, Tysons knocking quite a few out early but he's not doing it every time. As time goes on he's meeting better, more experienced guys, that take him deeper.
    He'll find it harder to deal with those fellas, being clinched and hit, no holds barred.
    By the time he's faced Jack, he's been thru a lot. He may also find him self burnt out a lot, with his particular style.
    So when he does meet Jack, even tho he's still fast and hard hitting, he's perhaps not the fresh new kid on the block?
    So my thoughts are now, if he doesn't Ko Jack in at least the 8th, he's going to suffer.

Bonecrusher likes this.
  11. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Sure he is :risas3::risas3::risas3:

12. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Styles favor Tyson big time in this fight, but, even with that, it's very hard to pick against Jack Johnson in this match up. I'll pick it as a 12 round fight and say that, at some point, midway through, Johnson's going into survival mode, probably due to feeling Tyson's power. Then, in the 11th or 12 round, he senses that the power has subsided some and shakes up Mike with his own lesser power. The fight goes the distance and Tyson gets the close decision win. I sure wouldn't bet on it, though.

Pedro_El_Chef and Bonecrusher like this.
  13. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Tyson had issues fighting out of the clinch and being held.

14. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Yes he did. And if Johnson gets to see the Holyfield fights, he's headbutting Mike a couple times, to find out what happens next, "accidentally" of course. :angel2:

15. Oddone

Oddone Bermane Stiverne's life coach. Full Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Tyson would probably put him in a coma.