1927 Jack Dempsey vs Paulino Uzcudun

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mr.DagoWop, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Instead of Jack fighting Sharkey in July, he fights Paulie.

2. kingfisher3

kingfisher3 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2011
    i think paolo was a gret matchup for dempsey.

Jackomano likes this.
  3. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Good fight! Uzcudun was tough and aggressive. Does Dempsey still have the stamina and mean streak to hang with Paulino? I say he does and wins a tough close decision.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Paulino could not box like Sharkey or hit like even an older Dempsey.I like Jack by clear dec.

Anubis likes this.
  5. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Decision? Dempsey knocks him out within five rounds.

louis54 likes this.
  6. MUFA$A

MUFA$A FEAR * THE * TANK Full Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Dempsey on points or KO. Paulino could make it interesting doe.

7. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Why?This isn't a prime Dempsey we are discussing.
    Uzcudun went the distance 3 times with Schmeling , beat Max Baer over 20 rds and was only stopped once ,in his last fight by Joe Louis when Paulie was 36. I think he sees the distance ok.

8. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Pauli doesn't do too badly here. Dempsey while still dangerous is not the man he was. He'll over work Pauli but he'll be taking some hard leather himself. Dempsey wins a unanimous but isn't overly impressive.

9. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    Dempseys power at this stage of his career was still awesome. Uzcudun was not hard to hit and he never came close to winning the hwt championship. Sharkey a soon to be hwt champion was a far better fighter and he was knocked cold by one Dempsey hook. He would do the same to Uz.

10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Sharkey may have been a better fighter but he didn't have a better chin than Uzcudun. .I don't have a problem picking Dempsey to win this but I think you are being optimistic saying he ko's the only once stopped ,[36years old in his last fight against Joe Louis],Uzcudun inside 5 rds!

Anubis and The Long Count like this.
  11. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    The alternative is that Uz takes the punches that Sharkey "never thought anyone could hit that hard" for 10-15 rounds. I don't think anyone could stand up to those kind of shots as an open target. If Uz was a cute boxer ....yes but not the fighter I see backing straight up to the ropes as Uz did when pressed. I really can't see any other outcome.

Anubis likes this.
  12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Uz took the punches of Max Baer for 20rds and twice went the route with Schmeling. Prime Dempsey stops him but I have reservations that," Hollywood Jack," could. And Dempsey is my favourite fighter.

swagdelfadeel and Mr.DagoWop like this.
  13. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    I just can't see any open target such as Uz avoiding a ko blow from a hwt so powerful and so intent to immediately destroy.

I don't think any Max Baer displayed the continual ferocity of the Dempsey of 1927. Not Prime Dempsey certainly but nevertheless not the kind of fighter that goes 15 rounds with a man he can easily hit with ko blows. Can't see it going the distance. I would wholeheartedly agree if Dempsey were fighting a fighter such as Loughran.....but not an open target.

Anubis likes this.
  14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Joe Louis did not find Paulino an open target after the first round he went back to Blackburn and complained he could not get a shot at his chin! Blackburn said ,"that old man knows how to hide but sooner or later he will leave himself open."
    Schmeling was a methodicaly accurate, heavy puncher ,he couldn't floor Uzcudun in two fights.You keep saying he was, "an open target" yet films of his fights show him adopting a crouch with a cross -armed defence?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  15. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    There are several of Paulino Uzcudun's fights on youtube. He beat Harry Wills up
    pretty bad in 1927 and made him quit on his stool, so I guess he would have done OK vs Dempsey.

This content is protected

Pedro_El_Chef likes this.