1954 Ezzard Charles vs 1923 Luis Angel Firpo

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SuzieQ49, May 15, 2015.

1. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Charles of the First Marciano fight vs Firpo of the Dempsey fight

2. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Firpo stops him in 2

3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    In the spirit of the Willard v Walcott post:

Charles was floored 8 times in 8 rds by Lloyd Marshall,
    floored 7 times in 10 rds by Jimmy Bivins.
    Ezzard was kod with one punch by Walcott.:think

I say Firpo hit harder than all those three.

Indeed Firpo hit hard enough to knock Dempsey right out of the ring,which is of course the obvious motive for this post!
    Charles takes the first round with cautious boxing as the Argentinian misses badly .
    Charles elects to be more adventurous in the second round and lambasts Firpo around his fleshy midsection, lowering his left to hook to the body Ezz leaves himself open to the Bull's right hand and he launches it in an irresistible arc, it connects flush on Charle'ss mandible and he is out before he hits the ground.
    2nd RD KO For The Wild Bull Of The Pampas.
    And Remember You Saw It Here First!

4. doug.ie

doug.ie 'Classic Boxing Society' Full Member

Apr 1, 2008
  5. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    I'd like to see this on the undercard of Tommy Gibbons-Don ****ell.

6. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Charles would outclass Firpo, Charles could fight well from the outside and well from the inside. He does not have to make this fight a war. Firpo was strong and could punch but Charles had warrior experience and could do it all.

7. edward morbius

edward morbius Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2011
    I would put my money on Charles.

Seriously, I wonder if Firpo could have even a 50% winning percentage against Charles' opposition.

For example, Charles beat Maxim five straight times. How many victories would Firpo manage in five shots against the polished Maxim who also had a top level chin (Kearns said Maxim took a punch better than Dempsey in his opinion).

I could see Maxim sweeping Firpo.

8. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Charles was there to be hit with a wild right hand and that's Firpos only hope here. Charles generally was fairly stationary side stepping rather than dancing left to right. I can see Charles out boxing Firpo and coasting to a decision and this would be the probable outcome. However there is a chance that Firpo lands a haymaker that ends the bout at any time....so a punchers chance. Pick here is Charles W15.

9. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Charles was small, not exceptionally strong and got hit at heavyweight .. he had his hands full w Rex Layne, a slow, clubbing sort of one handed heavyweight with not much else .. Firpo was a wild man for sure but had a terrific chin, monster power and a huge heart. He was much bigger and stronger than Charles .. this would be a wild fight .. I don't know but it would be fun ...

10. Ted Spoon

Ted Spoon Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2005
    That's some size difference between a young Rock and old Firpo. I know who my money would be on were they to engage but those hams...yikes.

A fight between Charles and Firpo would be interesting for as long as it lasted. You'd have to favour the Cincinatti Cobra to confuse the Argentinian bull with a clever matador routine though if Luis managed to ping his jaw with that right it wouldn't be terribly shocking.

Put Firpo in a ring with anyone and there could be trouble.

11. edward morbius

edward morbius Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2011
    "one-handed fighter"

Layne shows a good left jab and a good right cross on film.

Also I think Layne looks much quicker than Firpo.

"terrific chin"

I thought Firpo was once KO'd by a 167 pound fighter in one round.

He got KO'd by Dempsey. Other than old Harry Wills, who exactly did Firpo last against to prove he had a terrific chin? Willard?

12. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Layne is as over rated here as Firpo is under rated. His chin being proven enough against Wills who was a murderous puncher.

13. albinored

albinored Active Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2007
    ..mcvey....and how many times did ezzard get up in those two fights? and who won in their rematches?

14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I believe Firpo was one of the only two men to stop Willard?

15. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Who won those fights? My point is Charles's chin was not
    Chuvaloesqe[ made that up:lol:] And Firpo , whatever his other deficiencies may have been was a heavy duty banger.