1980s FOTY: What FOTYs would you dispute, why, and what fights would you choose over it?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by William Walker, Sep 28, 2020.

1. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    1980: Very tough year to decide on. Leonard and Duran had two good fights. Weaver had two good fights w/ Tate and Coetzee, but I liked Ring Magazine's choice of Muhammad-Lopez II.
    1981: Leonard-Hearns I a completely just choice.
    1982: For me it is a complete tie btwn Chacon-Limon IV and Spinks-Burnett. Two of the greatest fights of all times.
    1983: Chacon vs. Edwards II!
    1984: Ramirez vs. Rosario II a sound choice all the way.
    1985: Hagler vs. Hearns. What else did you expect me to say?
    1986: Cruz vs. McGuigan is a fine fight, but Holyfied-Qawi I is merely a superior fight.
    1987: Leonard vs. Hagler.
    1988: Barkley vs. Hearns I. It was a huge upset as you all know, and I can recall few more dramatic knockouts in the history of boxing. Almost reminiscient of MSG, Barkley with his hands raised in victory, blood streaming over his face.
    1989: Duran vs. Barkley, but Holyfield vs. Dokes would be a close second.

2. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. Mike_b

Mike_b Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 9, 2020
    One year we had Vargas Trinidad and Mosley de la Hoya. Explain which one and how it was not the fight of the year!

William Walker likes this.
  4. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    1980: Duran vs Leonard I, excellent choice of course, but for me it has to be Saad vs Lopez II. Good work from Ring.

1981: No issues with this one. It was a highly skilled, back & forth fight with two of the best fighters in history, although I enjoyed Park vs Oguma I & II more.

1982: GOAT fight, Chacon vs Limon IV. Although Gomez vs Pintor, Pryor vs Arguello, Mancini vs Kim and Sanchez vs Nelson were all brilliant. Great year.

Fine with Boza vs Chacon II. Chang vs Tokashiki should've taken '84 though.

Avelar vs Vasquez or Yuh vs DeMarco I should've won. No question. Can't decide between those two, though.

Dave McAuley vs Bassa I should've won. No question about it, but obviously Hagler vs Leonard was too big to ignore.

I've kinda spaced on '88, but I don't think Hearns vs Barkley I should be FOTY.

The two in the OP would be my choices for '89 as well.

Jel and William Walker like this.
  5. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Because they had the misfortune of sharing the same year as Morales-Barrera I.

Mike_b, Jel and George Crowcroft like this.
  6. Drew101

Feb 11, 2005
    Lopez vs Lockridge and Williams vs Czyz were listed as 1988 FOTY by Ring and KO magazine, respectively.

I think Murphey-Mutti has a strong case for FOTY in 1985.

7. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Lopez vs Lockridge is a great pick. I like that one, I agree with it. Murphey-Mutti is a good mention too.

Seamus, Drew101 and William Walker like this.
  8. Drew101

Feb 11, 2005
    Scratch Williams vs Czyz 1 from 1988. It actually took place in 1987, but did win that year's KOTY for KO magazine.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  9. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    I agree w/ you entirely.

Drew101 likes this.
  10. christpuncher

christpuncher Active Member banned Full Member

Jul 31, 2019
    Bah you can't tell me The Brawl was not fight of the year in 1980. That means the great Roberto Duran bookends the 80's with Leonard 1 and Barkley in 1989!. Yet, he was fighter of the decade for the 70's!
    How d'you like that Duran haters?

William Walker likes this.
  11. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    I think Leonard-Duran I would be the ACTION FOTY, but I chose Muhammad-Lopez II for the climactic 8th round and the climactic conclusion in the 14th. Leonard-Duran 1 is just one bell-to-bell battle.

christpuncher likes this.
  12. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    btw, I am no Duran hater; he was one of my absolute faves EVER. I enjoy watching him maybe even more than Ali. He was in lots of great fights that were FOTY material. Duran-DeJesus I & II both could have won FOTY in the 70s, and his first two fights w/ Leonard, his fight w/ Hagler, and his fight w/ Barkley were all worthy of FOTY or at least consideration.

christpuncher likes this.
  13. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    I don't think the 80s choices are as contentious as the 70s ones. Here are my picks.

1980: Saad-Lopez 2. Yep the Ring got this right. No argument.

1981: Leonard-Hearns. Some terrific fights that year but again, good choice.

1982: You'd have to be insane to think Chacon-Limon 4 was anything other than a great choice, but my goodness there were some amazing fights that year. My own personal choice is Pryor-Arguello 1 which The Ring would call their Fight of the Decade.

1983: Chacon-Boza 2. No argument.

1984: Tough call this. Ramirez-Rosario was a cracking fight but for pure action, Chang-Tokashiki was another level.

1985: Hagler-Hearns. No argument.

1986: i actually enjoyed Cruz-McGuigan more than Holyfield-Qawi.

1987: Leonard-Hagler was a great event but Bassa-McCauley was amazing.

1988: Lopez-Lockridge 1 - good choice by The Ring.

1989: Duran-Barkley is another good choice though Harding-Andries is worth a shout.

1982 was the best year for fights with Gomez-Pintor and Sanchez-Nelson joining the aforementioned choices as absolute classics. You also had Mancini-Kim (tragic though it was) and Holmes-Cooney as well. Spinks-Burnett has gone on the watchlist based on your recommendation @William Walker!

14. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    It's amazing.

15. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    I personally think the 80s is a little harder. I mean when FOTC, Thrilla in Manila, and Foreman-Lyle happened, no other fights were worth considering. However, I di have to throw out there that I changed my '84 pick to Bramble-Mancini I actually. So many spectacular fights in the 80s, it's absolutely amazing. For sure watch Spinks-Burnett. One of the absolute best rumbles I have ever seen among the bigger men of boxing.

Jel likes this.