1988 Tyson vs 1996 Holyfield?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Wass1985, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    What do you think would be the outcome of the Rooney trained Tyson and the Holyfield that actually beat Tyson in 96?

Some say this is the best versions of each fighter but I'm not so sure, yes Holyfield was more experienced than the early 90's version but was he actually better?

The worrying thing for Tyson is that his shots had no effects on Holyfield at all, the punches just bounced off him. In 96 if Tyson had anything it was still is punch but Evander showed he could take Tyson's shots.

Now I'm not going to lie the early Tyson was a way more dynamic fighter than the 90's version. He came in at angles, threw more combinations and was on his toes more. This version had never tasted defeat before so was mentally more up for it.

Which fighter takes it in your opinion?

2. TheWorstEver(TWE)

TheWorstEver(TWE) Active Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2018
    This subject has always interested me because of the different versions of each fighter at different stages of their careers. I'm still gutted that the Nov 91 match never happened. Anyway onto your question, Tyson here is at his absolute peak as we know, Holyfield has probably peaked ring I.Q wise but physically is starting to jade, although he is bigger & stronger than the early 90's version. Tyson would never cleanly K.O any version of Holy IMO but he is susceptible to body shots & uppercuts which I think Rooney would have Tyson throwing plenty of. I'll go for Tyson by UD.

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  3. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    I fail to see this vulnerability to the body, where was he really hurt there apart from the Toney fight when he was waaay past his best?

Like you said he may have been bigger in 96 but I'm still not fully sold that this version was superior than the early 90's Holyfield.

The Slaps likes this.
  4. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    10 years, different fighters.
    Holyfield imho got more durable, but slower with highest boxing-IQ, while Tyson deminished in timing, reflexes, erratic punching and most: In his footwork. The amount of sloppy shots in Holyfield 1 was astonishing, even the slower Holyfield ducked under these hooks. He got no bounce in his footwork anymore, becamse more like a moving Tua. So he just threw in the position he stayed.

https://viewsync.net/watch?v=CfV8oYVYa_k&t=226.41&v=4YrHssk7H0A&t=0&mode=solo

Focus on the footwork and movement of Tyson here.

I´m still not sure if a fighter with such intense boxing intermittency is capable of getting back after 4 years out of boxing, plus aging into the 30s.
    The amount of rounds needed for Holyfield to get that Tyson down lead to a clear objective rational evaluation for me, that Holyfield would have to win a decision against the prime version of Tyson.

I just don´t see that happen to the pumped up, less quick Holyfield --> Imho Tyson via 12 round decision is most likely for me, or Holyfield getting rocked some way into the fight and Tyson beeing able to do a Thomas-job on him.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  5. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Tyson, a different beast in 88. He'd stop a brave Holyfield in around 7 imo.

Golden_Feather99 likes this.
  6. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Same outcome. Holyfield simply had his number.

young griffo likes this.
  7. The Slaps

The Slaps Win or lose, as long as you get the decision Full Member

Apr 8, 2018
    Holyfield took Tyson's shots in their fights, because Tyson couldn't hit him cleanly. I always go through this fight in my head. I think 96 Holyfield is beaten by early 90's Holyfield. 88 Tyson defo has the advantage going into this one, Holyfield might have the IQ, chin, counters and defence but ultimately I thing this version is too slow for a prime Tyson. Tyson wins late TKO or on points.

8. The Slaps

The Slaps Win or lose, as long as you get the decision Full Member

Apr 8, 2018
    Me too, one of those what should have, could have, would have, that will plague us to our grave.

Fergy and TheWorstEver(TWE) like this.
  9. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Both the 88 and the pre-prison 91 Tyson would have beaten the 96 Holyfield and the 90 version of Holyfield which I would say was the best version of Holyfield.

The only thing that the 96 version had which the earlier versions lacked was the bald head which he used as an additional weapon.

10. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Oh dear not another he only won because of the headbutts post......

11. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Who said that, son? Holyfield won in 96 because he was the better fighter by then but there’s no doubt that he had unlike the earlier versions gained a rep by 96 of being a dirty fighter. Not that Tyson was ever a clean fighter.lol

12. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    I don't think you can look and compare those videos, for starters Ferguson is merely looking to survive.

How would this Tyson handle Holyfield pushing him back and man handling him?

13. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Well all I can say son is that it was Tyson who was using the head in 96 it's just he came off second best. Lol

14. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Prime Tyson has more chances to win.

Holyfield said when they fought Tyson wasn't devastating like in his prime.

15. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    It's such an intriguing match because Evander would answer those questions Tyson was never asked under Rooney's tutelage.

Bokaj likes this.