1996 Evander Holy field vs Anthony Joshua

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Dec 17, 2017.

Who wins and how

1. AJ KO

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. AJ TKO

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  3. AJ UD

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  4. AJ SD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Holyfield KO

24 vote(s)
    28.2%
  6. Holyfield TKO

41 vote(s)
    48.2%
  7. Holyfield UD

8 vote(s)
    9.4%
  8. Holyfield SD

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  9. Draw

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Holmes, old and young, had a massively different style than AJ.

2. jonze86

jonze86 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2013
    I vote for draw,Tyson and Klitchko are slightly different. This is just imposible. How you fight depends your opponent. Fighting under 6foot Tyson is lot different than Giant Klitchko.

3. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    AJ isn't overrated and I don't think Bowe hits harder than AJ, but the best fighter he beat who would even be remotely comparable to Holyfield, far as skill level goes, would be Wlad. If someone used Primo Carnera as a reason why Louis would beat Wlad, it'd cause a shitstorm on here. Even though, you can say they had similar styles. The same could be said about using Takam to compare to the Holyfield who beat Tyson.

4. Birmingham

Birmingham Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2017
    AJ's not a one punch guy, nor was Bowe really, but Lewis was. Bowe was the better more fluid puncher out of him and AJ, would you not agree? AJ is more Bruno'ish !

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  5. Birmingham

Jan 13, 2017
    Where did I say Bowe hits harder than Joshua ??? Hes better, I didn't mention he punched harder, I said Lewis does !

6. Lemiwinks

Lemiwinks Member Full Member

Dec 17, 2017
    I picked Holyfield tko as we have seen him at his best and it would be enough to beat Joshua at thus point in his career.
    I don't think think we have seen the best of Joshua though so he may improve.

7. jyeahfosho

jyeahfosho mrtechnicalboxer Full Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Holyfield stops AJ late.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  8. bailey

bailey VIP Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Joshua clearly on points

I think Holyfield would be in there but taking shots and being outworked and outlanded.
    I think Holyfield would make Joshua work with pressure but not really make a massive impression

Joshua clear decision

GALVATRON likes this.
  9. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    I can buy this somewhat

10. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Wlad defeats anyone Holyfield fought barring maybe Lewis.This still has nothing to do with a much smaller Holyfield going up against a fast 250 pound aggressive counter puncher.........its actually a SAFE bet he has a better chance than a prime Tyson BC of Holyfields troubles with sizeable guys and I know Tyson like the back of my hand.

Let's stick with the actual match up and anyone or most who takes time breaking down the actual fight not the NAMES would not give Holyfield the edge here . they wouldn't be able to.

When I see nonsense of Bowe now hits harder than Joshua its time too close shop.maybe I misread? Either way I can see ppl liking posts that I can show are false so there's that.....lol

I'm pretty much done here if anything I will do my own thread and explain how Joshua defeats Bowe which I've broken down plenty of times on here.......maybe it will cause some to actually think about matches like this????? But I doubt it.

Good thread but it has way too much blind shutters on here for me, so I'll do my own thread in the future this is becoming jargon now.

P.S. Takam has skills ...Carnera wouldn't even be at Valuev level! Joe Louis would have absolutely no relevance to ANY comparison on here....

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  11. GALVATRON

Oct 30, 2016
    Maybe it was thee other poster, either way when you tell me Joshua isn't that good its a convo ender BC your wasting my time.I'm done here..lol

I don't even think Holyfield would win and I could post a BETTER and realistic reason how he could win than anyone on here has done so far...but I'm thee insane one with out of this world ideas right?

Somebody get my straight jacket.....it seems posting credible and informative posts on here has reached its end and are deemed terrible.....:ura:

P.S Joshua is nothing like Bruno.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  12. JoffJoff

JoffJoff Regular Junkie Full Member

Jan 25, 2017
    I think the monster Joshua who slayed Wladimir would come out on top in FOTY war. I'd expect Evander to have his moments (he proved in the Bowe fights he could compete against a highly skilled big man) but I think his willingness to fight would be his eventual undoing as Joshua's accumulation of power shots wears him down late in the fight.

It seems I rate Joshua higher than most here (although definitely lower than the poster below) because he is one of very few fighters I would pick against Holyfield and 1 out of only 2 or 3 fighters in history I would bet on to accomplish the feat of actually stopping him in his prime.

I know you are not the highest on Bowe and see Joshua as a hybrid of Mike Tyson and Superman but I will still need to read an explanation for this heresy, do the thread. You convinced me once before that Lewis has the edge vs Bowe but I think he is a nightmare for Joshua. Don't even think about saying AJ stops a prime Bowe from Holy 1.

ps. You are obsessed with power.

13. Birmingham

Jan 13, 2017
    I think your a little up your own arse opinion wise there buddy !

14. GALVATRON

Oct 30, 2016
    Bowe is easily hit.

Joshua is the least hit.

Power punchers have stopped Holyfield in all his loses barring Bowe and Lewis ...Bowe still has a K.O win and just wore him out being the bigger guy ..Lewis does not BC he did not press Holyfield and does hit hard a top puncher who is a far contrast to Joshua.

Power is a very important thing to have in today's era....when you add skill to it you become far more effective there's NOTHING to overate that..end of.

Anyone that matches both strengths and weaknesses CANT have Holyfield the favorite here if they know what their doing.

The only insane ones on here are the ones thinking its a huge mismatch in Holyfields favor, there's plenty of them on here....lol

15. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    AJ has more of a Bruno style. In fact, he looks to me how Frank Bruno would have been had he been faster and more fluid. They are likely almost equal in power, but I give Bruno the edge for greater one punch power. I wish Holyfield had fought Frank Bruno because I think it would have gave a glimpse on how Holyfield would have done vs AJ since AJ has a similar style.

On film, the best Bowe, IMO, had faster hands and a greater work rate and no question greater stamina than the best AJ. You can't tell me that the AJ of the Wlad fight had a better work rate, faster hands or better stamina than the prime Bowe who beat Holyfield and ended his reign. The only reason I would not outright pick Bowe against AJ is Bowes leaky defense and he didn't have the best chin. Slap Tyson's or Holyfield chin on to Bowe and I'd pick him each and every time vs AJ.

As for AJ beating everyone Holyfield beat, I'd favor prime Bowe over AJ, even a 1996 Mike Tyson would be dangerous to AJ, never mind a 1986 Mike Tyson. Old Holmes could POSSIBLY out smart and be too cagey for AJ. AJ likely beats the version of Douglas Holyfield KO'd, the Douglas of the Tyson fight would be a stern test for AJ. AJ would likely beat Alex Stewart but he may get rocked by Stewart.

I'm not saying that AJ would not be a tough opponent, but he seems to get tired too easy and Holyfield had enough power to hurt AJ. He's not knocking out Holyfield early and he'd have to.

juppity likes this.