20 best Europeans p4p

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Luigi1985, Nov 28, 2007.

1. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    But you missing the point, you need to know the circumstance of the fight, where each fighter was rated. For example beating Robinson in 1952 is better than 1957, but not as good as 1947; boxrec does not clarify that.

Having a no decision fight with Loughran is not worth that much, for the era...

2. Luigi1985

Luigi1985 Cane Corso Full Member

Feb 23, 2006
    If I remember right ( I bet I do in this case), he won a clear Newspaper Decision against Loughran, in a source I read it was a one-sided battle, so I don´t know why you say it was a ND... :think

let´t not forget some other great fights of him, he had a close fight with Greb for example, the "New York Times" scored the fight for Lou, the "Pittsburgh Post" for example for Harry (what a surprise, Greb is from Pittsburgh)...

3. TBooze

Oct 22, 2006
    A fight with no judges that goes the distance is a no decision... There is no disputing that, that is why Frawley Law was brought in.;)

4. Luigi1985

Luigi1985 Cane Corso Full Member

Feb 23, 2006

Than great fighters of the past weren´t great or so, because they have many NWS? (for example Greb, NWS over Rosenbloom, Flowers, Loughran, Shade, etc.), if there are many different sources who agree each other that fighter A beat fighter B, it´s crystal-clear not only in my opinion...

5. TBooze

Oct 22, 2006
    No it is not, having a no decision fight means you can only win by a stoppage. There is no need to outpoint your opponent because it does not mean anything. And you are a professional who may have a fight arranged the following week so why put the effort in? Also you could be doing your opponent a favour by giving him a pay day, if you are a big name.

Think of it like this:

When the 100 metre sprinters come to the Olympics, they have to get though heats.

In the first round the very best are capable of running under 10 seconds; the worse probably struggle to get under 11. So if you are the finest 100 menter runner in the world and at least half second faster than any of you rivals in your heat, where the top three qualify; you are going to race it as easy as possible becuase of future tougher races. This may mean you might not even win, because you know a second or third place is good enough at that stage.

Newspaper decisions were a way of settling bets, that were supposed to be illegal under Frawley.