2016 Olympians you'd like to see turn pro ?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by bcr, Sep 24, 2016.

1. bcr

bcr Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I saw a thread about this but was about European fighters only, so i expanded it with my own thread...

Lithuania has two awesome fighters: Stanionis and Petruaskas, both really offensive minded, good body punchers, hard punchers and really exciting, like mini Tysons with less talent, both can be world champs
    Kazakhstan has a lot of talent in their squad.
    Daniyar Yeleussinov: The best of them, p4p talent, he even improved a lot on his inside game, p4p talent.
    Vassily Levit: A lot of people remember him because he was robbed in the final against Tischenko, he is fast with good power and skills, a little undersized, can be a good pro in cruiser or heavy, can be a decent world champ.
    Adilbek Niyazembetov: A good fighter when he is boxing, good on his toes, fast and accurate, can be a good fighter at light heavy, but i don't see him being a champ.
    Morocco has Mohammed Rabii, one of the offensive minded medalists, he can be a really good pro, lacks the mental aspect sometimes and can be out-boxed if he losses his composure, but in the best scenario, he is a world champ in the making.
    Zhanibek Alimkhanuly: Complete boxer, eliminated in the quarters, kinda suspicious chin, but fast, good footwork, hard puncher, good body puncher, i can't see why can't be a world champion.
    Colombia has Yuberjen Martinez, a really fresh fighter that came out of nowhere and won the silver beating my only rated fighter in Argilagos, huge pressure, probably needs to kept himself a little of he becomes pro, with the lack of talent in the lower weights and Inoue and Gonzales moving in weight, he can be a champ.
    Uzbekistan was the top country in Rio, some controversial decisions on the road, but some really good fighters:
    Hasanboy Dusmatov: The val barker winner, won practically every round in his olympic road, awesome skills, awesome speed, great footwork and punch selection, can surely be a world champ and even a new Inoue or Gonzales.
    Shakobidin Zoirov: IMO, the biggest surprise in the games, won gold in the toughest class against really though opposition, fast as hell, awesome footwork, explosive, can be a good pro if he learns how to conserve his energy.
    Bektemir Melikuziev: Silver medalist and really a raw talent, good counter-puncher, strong, good mover, huge puncher, fast, accurate, seems like a real talent but kinda unpolished sometimes, can be a force in the pro's, p4p talent.
    U.K has
    Joshua Buatsi: Probably most here knows him, two stoppages in the olympics, bronze medalist, kinda raw, but can be polished, fast, athletic, charismatic, can be a force in the pros someday.
    And Joy Joyce: Many people feels like he was robbed, i agree, really slow, like a today's version of George Foreman, can be a good pro, his power seems to be game changer.
    Michael Conlan: The other fighter that probably everyone knows here, a complete fighter, not the best on the inside, but isn't afraid of fighting at close, good power and speed, skills, footwork, a world champ in the making.
    Brazil's Robson Concencaio: Not the brightest of the olympic champions, some controversial decisions, but a raw fighter very unorthodox, but can be a good contender and a good chance to bring the Brazilian audience back in boxing, a world contender type of fighter, can be a world champ under good training.
    Azerbaijan's Lorenzo Sotomayor: A cheat here, he is born in Cuba, but left because he always came second to Yasnier Toledo, who he beat in the olympics this year, in the eyes of many he is the real olympic champion, huge for his weight, kinda raw but really good, can be a world champ.
    Azerbaijan also has other decent fighters on Albert Selimov: A little past his prime, still can bring something to the pro's, Elvin Mamishzada: Really fast and powerful but can be outboxed and Magomedrasul Majidov: The hardest puncher in amateur boxing, a little old but can bring something to the pro's.
    Croatia has Filip Hrgovic: A really good fighter that many people feel was robbed against Yoka, huge power and decent skills, can be a fun pro.
    Venezuela has Yoel Finol: I'm watching this guy since some time ago, he is the most talented fighter in the most talented division and he doesn't have the huge advantages in training of the other fighters in his division, brother in law of Edwin Valero.
    France has the good but controversial olympic champ Tony Yoka: With style with a little of Vitali Klitschko and Muhammad Ali, he is a really decent fighter, his chin can be a problem in the pro's, but the truth is that he was knocked out by one of the hardest punchers in amateur boxing, can be a decent pro or maybe not, the man has talent for sure.
    Ecuador has a street fighter in Carlos Mina: A light heavyweight who isn't afraid of going toe a toe, can be a really exciting pro.
    I'll talk about the USA and Cuba squads in apart posts.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  2. bcr

Dec 21, 2013
    THE CUBAN SQUAD:
    Cuban squad in Rio was probably the most solid squad of the country since 2004 and it was the most solid squad before the games started, kinda disappointed, but all the 10 boxers are world class talents.

Johanys Argilagos: Archived so much out of nowhere, a serious talent, blessed with skills and raw talent, he can be a good pro and even a world champion, but he was broken by the pressure of Martinez in the semifinals, that can be a trouble for the bronze medalist.
    Yosvani Veitia: A talented little guy, his counter-punching and footwork are top class, sadly he reminds me something i call the Rocky Juarez effect, the guy can be losing but he still doesn't throw his hands, still i feel he was robbed, but i don't see why he can't be a world champ.
    Robeisy Ramirez: The two time olympic champion it's a p4p talent!!!!, he put an awesome run in Rio and beat all types of tough fighters, everyone in their one game, at only 22 he can be an awesome pro.
    Lazaro Alvarez: The busiest fighter in the squad, throws a lot of punches, not very accurate, but really talented and skilled fighter, i can see a world champ on him, but probably would need to learn how to conserve his energy, three time world champion and two times olympic bronze.
    Yasnier Toledo: The most underrated guy in the team, not really flashy, but educated and smart, some losses here and some losses there, but don't let that fools you, he is one of the best prospects for a world champ in the cuban squad.
    Roniel Iglesias: The 2012 world champion seems so disrespected by the aiba, he doesn't win any of his close fights, he even losses his clear wins, he can turn pro and be a great one, throws hard punches in the pocket, but his prime is wasting in the amateurs, three times olympian.
    Arlen Lopez: The hardest puncher in the amateurs right now, such a great switch hitter that you can't realize if he is either a natural southpaw or a natural orthodox, textbook fighter and p4p talent, olympic champion and world champion.
    Julio La Cruz: The best amateur in the world, three times world champion and now olympic champion, he just cleaned the 81 division and I'm almost sure he can make the same in the pro's, sometimes too conservative, but his talent it's atg, believe me, i don't think any light heavyweight moved light that since Willie Pastrano, with his low punch output he can be a force in the pro in the same fashion as Mayweather, but that's the problem.
    Erislandy Savon: He clearly is not Felix Savon, his stamina sucks, his consistency too, but on his best night he is the most skilled heavyweight in the world and one of the hardest amateur punchers today.
    Yoandri Toirac: Probably the worst of the squad, but he is actually really good, decent footwork and great head movement and power, just a little unfit, imo he could be a much better fighter than it looks.

3. bcr

Dec 21, 2013
    The USA squad:
    Since this were the best Olympics for USA since a lot of time ago i would make whole post for their really talented squad of only six fighters.

Nico Hernandez: Was in some close fights, but showed a lot of heart and decent skill, can be a fresh addition to the small weight classes, lost to Dusmatov who went to win the gold and the Val Barker, the bronze medalist can be a world champ.
    Antonio Vargas: The most talented fighter in the team, fast, explosive, talented and really dynamic, but really raw and unpolished, met Zoirov in his second fight, Zoirov went to win the gold, i can see a bright future for him, also i have to say that i believe both Yosbani Veitia and Ceiber Avila were robbed in the quarters, so with a fair judgement, Vargas would have owned wins over three of the four medalists.
    Shakur Stevenson: Probably most here knows him, only lost one international fight in his LIFE and it was against the awesome Robeisy Ramirez in their olympic final, sadly, the lack of experience and the really good draw he was in affected against him with opponent just miles always of every other fighter he ever fought, still, the guy has an impressive resume and it's a p4p talent, can be polished on the offensive side, but he is the real deal.
    Carlos Balderas: I wasn't expecting much from him before the games, oh boy i love when someone schools me, Carlos showed too much heart and desire in these games that i was really wishing he was giving the decision against Cuba's Lazaro Alvarez, still i can see a really bright future ahead of him and a world champion in the making.
    Gary Russell: Known as Antuane because all his boxers brothers are all called Gary (including Gary Russell Jr., the world champ).
    Russell was robbed of a chance in the medal rounds when he lost to the controversial and eventual gold medalist from Uzbekistan, in the other hand, Russell held some controversial decisions on his own, including against the Haitian fighter, Richardson Hitchins, the funny thing is that Russell beat Hitchins in the USA olympic trials and the World Olympic Qualifier, i would love to see that in the pros, kinda like Mosley vs Forrest. Russell can be a decent pro, skilled, fast and strong.
    Charles Conwell: Not much to say about him, inexperienced, only 18 in the olympics, really strong, better suited to the pros, talented and raw like most of the team if not all of the team, can be a really solid pro, but needs a good trainer.

Oneirokritis, Rock0052 and Gannicus like this.
  4. Omair

Omair New Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
  5. bcr

Dec 21, 2013
    Well, Alimkhanuly won his debut by ko and Concencao turns pro the saturday.

6. Gannicus

Gannicus 2014 Poster of the Year Full Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Wow, great thread!

7. bcr

Dec 21, 2013
    Nico Hernandez is turning pro on the undercard of Crawford.

drenlou likes this.
  8. bcr

Dec 21, 2013
    Update:
    -The Honduras boxer (he is from United States but his category wasn't on the trials because Carlos Balderas was already qualified) Teofimo Lopez, won by K.O. in two rounds, but was also dropped himself, looked sharp, Teofilo lost to the eventual silver medalist, Sofiane Oumiha of France in his first in fight in Rio.
    -In the same card (Pacquaio vs Vargas), the lightweight gold medalist, Robson Concenciao from Brazil, won his pro debut by decision, he landed a lot of body shots, looking kinda different from his amateur style.
    -Charles Conwell, the middleweight boxer from USA, was signed by Split T Management, would make his debut at welterweight, with Conwell signed, Nico Hernandez turning pro on the undercard of the Terence Crawford and Carlos Balderas signing with Richard Schaefer, that means that half of the USA squad is signed.
    -Also Claressa Shields and Katie Taylor, both won their pro debuts, opening the doors of women boxing to a new era.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  9. K.D

K.D Active Member Full Member

Apr 13, 2016
    u know ur sh*t

10. theanatolian

theanatolian Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 2, 2015
  11. DirtyOldTown

DirtyOldTown Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Daniyar Yeleussinov would be a great addition to the welterweight division. He is potentially an elite fighter.

12. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Filip Hrgovic. The best super heavyweight out there, and heck yes he was robbed vs Yoka in the semi final match. Big dude, good skills, hits hard, takes a good punch.

13. bcr

Dec 21, 2013
    Daniyar has elite talent, he is kinda raw, slaps a lot, but can be a great pro.
    Yoka had many controversial decisions.

14. Odo

Odo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 25, 2004

Any news! So far I havent hear anything about a him? Has he already signed a pro contract somewhere???

15. Gannicus

Gannicus 2014 Poster of the Year Full Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I don't rate Tony Yoka. Fighthype did a 40 minute interview with him.