2022 Commonwealth Games

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by DramaShow, Aug 7, 2022.

1. DramaShow

DramaShow 18 Full Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Any British boxers catch the eye of you guys ? Northern Ireland won 5 gold medals which broke the record.

Two English good medals from Super Heavyweight Delicious Orie and Heavyweight Lewis Williams, both from the Midlands.

Anyone seen much of Orie ?

Sam Hickey from Scotland at Middleweight looks very promising, probably the best I’ve seen. He beat Englishman Lewis Richardson in the semi finals and the highly touted Australian Callum Peters in the final to secure gold.

Amy Broadhurst’s nickname is the “baby Canelo” and she won gold.

Don’t know why there are no bronze medal matches to have only one bronze medal for each category rather than 2.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    Holler likes this.
  2. mark ant

mark ant Told her on twitter I wanted to see her naked butt Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Seen a couple of heavyweights and they were awful.

PatCash and DramaShow like this.
  3. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Dont know why they call her the baby Canelo cos she doesn't fight anything like him. I watche'd her win gold and the lass she fought (can't remember her name) she was English, she did well that lass, she didn't stop trying, was really broadhursts experience that got her through imo. She's good but nothing special. She is a bit heavy handed, that's probably where the reference to canelo comes from. The English girl looked a weight below in all honesty.

Holler and DramaShow like this.
  4. Terminator

Terminator Active Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Mickey mouse competition

PatCash likes this.
  5. LeavemealoneKoooogs

LeavemealoneKoooogs Active Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Reese Lynch could make an interesting pro - awkward style and a bit of a swagger to his work.

VanBasten and DramaShow like this.
  6. VanBasten

VanBasten Active Member Full Member

Dec 12, 2017
    I like Hickey. He's from my neck of the woods and he's always had the talent and has the attitude and application required to go far in the sport. He also has the benefit of keeping the right kind of people around him.

vibes creator, PatCash and DramaShow like this.
  7. PatCash

PatCash Member Full Member

Aug 9, 2019
    Yup basically for young amateurs only, not the elite. The young scots Hickey and Lynch looked decent though, can't see Orie ever being a top GB Super Heavy and he's already 25.

Terminator and Mr Humble like this.
  8. Mr Humble

Mr Humble New Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2022
    Hickey and his Aussie opponent produced a great fight with both looking to have very good potential when they turn pro.

VanBasten likes this.
  9. TheGeezer

TheGeezer Member Full Member

Nov 19, 2007
    There's no bronze medal box off because both of the competitors will be coming off a loss and might not be fit to fight again so soon

VanBasten likes this.
  10. micker1

micker1 Member Full Member

May 31, 2010
    I'm sure josh Taylor won gold at the commonwealth games and Scott Fitzgerald. I wouldn't write these boxers off yet. There could be a future world champion hidden.

VanBasten and PatCash like this.
  11. Boxing Gloves

Boxing Gloves Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Orie is the current GB number 1 super heavyweight, he will be until he runs in to Ituma. Orie is probably ranked somewhere just outside the top 15 in the world right now and has improved lots in recent years. He wasn't close to Frazier Clarkes level when they were both in the GB squad.

VanBasten and PatCash like this.
  12. PatCash

PatCash Member Full Member

Aug 9, 2019
    Bit of a fall from grace in recent years then, will be interesting to see him against some top amateur super heavys. Excited to see Itauma go into the seniors he looks very impressive.

VanBasten likes this.
  13. DramaShow

DramaShow 18 Full Member

Dec 22, 2020
    His brother Karol Itauma looks like a good professional too, signed with Frank Warren.

I wonder how many of these fighters will turn professional rather than waiting for the 2024 Paris Olympics.

VanBasten likes this.
  14. Boxing Gloves

Boxing Gloves Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Itauma is 17, is a big puncher and has been dominating at schoolboy and junior level so far, I think he will do well moving forward.

Anyone know much about the Nigerian kid who's sparring AJ? He just won the Harringey Cup.

VanBasten likes this.
  15. vibes creator

vibes creator Team Usyk banned Full Member

Aug 11, 2022
    with the mens its kinda like a uk championships scotland/northern ireland/wales/england won 9 out of the 10 gold medals. Easy work, the Uk nations are so much better at fighting than all the other commonwealth countries.

VanBasten likes this.