20th Aniversary of Douglas vs. Tyson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Cheese, Feb 12, 2010.


  1. Cheese

    Cheese Member Full Member

    276
    4
    Jul 18, 2009
    I was watching ESPN this morning and did not realize today was the 20th anniversary of the "Iron" Mike Tyson vs. James Buster Douglas.
    Feb. 11, 1990 Buster Douglas was a 42-1 underdog. "Iron Mike" seemed like an unstoppable force at this point. He began to believe his own hype and did not take the fight serious. Buster's was in great shape and was ready to take Tyson out. And the motivation of Busters mom passing 3 weeks prior was all he needed. Even with Tyson dropping him in the 8th round Buster came back and dropped Tyson in the 10th.

    Now let's get real here. Buster fought a great, inspiring, fight. He threw hard, crisp, combos at Mike and then immediately moved out the way before Mike could counter. And with Mike not training and not being focused he was overcome.

    The aftermath is what is really what exposes the truth. After the fight Don King was trying to get a rematch for the fight but Buster declined. Why? Don King believed had a clause in the contract that Buster had to give Mike a rematch. Buster refused and Don sued him for everything he had. After Douglas lost the he was living in a barn according to ESPN.

    The question is if Buster was so confident why didn't he fight Mike again? Buster had the rep when he knocked Mike out but did not get paid very much. A rematch would of let Buster ask for whatever amount of money he wanted. But I guess his pride couldn't be swallowed. He knew good and well a focused Mike Tyson would of washed him up. I personally would of taken the money. Win/Lose/or Draw Buster would of most likely of been financially set with one more fight with Mike. The hype would of been great. I can see it now.

    THE ONE MAN WHO BEAT MIGHT TYSON!!! TYSON IS OUT FOR REVENGE!! THIS TIME IT'S PERSONAL. TYSON vs. DOULAS II
     
  2. TBooze

    TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

    25,495
    2,148
    Oct 22, 2006
    Douglas was mandated to fight Holyfield and was paid rather well for doing it ($24 Million if memory serves me right?)

    Plus win, lose or draw against Holyfield there was always the potential of another huge fight on the table in the Tyson rematch...

    But Buster was set financially after the Holyfield fight, and health problems and Tyson's own problems with the law, meant a Douglas/TysonII fight was destined never to happen.
     
  3. Cheese

    Cheese Member Full Member

    276
    4
    Jul 18, 2009
    Here's the article here: http://www.nytimes.com/1990/03/03/sports/sports-people-boxing-trump-sues-too.html?pagewanted=1

    Donald Trump and Don King sued Buster Douglas and his managers for not going on with the rematch. Those two guys have big money and I know Busters pockets couldn't handle one of them suing him much less too. It's obvious that Buster didn't wanna fight Mike again is why the fight didn't happen.
     
  4. TBooze

    TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

    25,495
    2,148
    Oct 22, 2006
    Trump sued The Mirage (Wynn), not Douglas or his manager.

    Douglas was manadated in his fight contract (for the Tyson bout) to fight (should he win) Holyfield, on June 18th, there was no rematch clause, as there seemed little point!;)
     
  5. Hydraulix

    Hydraulix Left Hook From Hell.. Full Member

    1,767
    23
    Oct 4, 2008
    You're right. Plus, Tyson went to jail within the next year or so. A rematch just wasn't gonna happen.
     
  6. Cheese

    Cheese Member Full Member

    276
    4
    Jul 18, 2009
    It said Trump sued the Mirage and its owner, Steve Wynn, and the heavyweight champion and his manager, John Johnson.

    The heavyweight champion was Buster Douglas at this time. The article said that Mirage and Douglas sued King last month in an effort to have the fighter released from his contract with the promoter. So Douglas and his camp counter sued to avoid fighting Mike by getting Buster out of his contract.

    Peter Parcher, a Trump attorney, said his client and Don King, the promoter, agreed to terms for a heavyweight rematch two days after Douglas won the title by knocking out Tyson in Tokyo last month.

    This clearly states that two days after Douglas beat Tyson they agreed to a rematch with Mike.

    So the stage was set but Douglas and his camp weren't trying to roll. I wouldn't wanna get sued by Don King or Donald Trump. Douglas and his camp got sued by both. You know they wiped him out.
     
  7. burt bienstock

    burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

    18,285
    399
    Jan 22, 2010
    I have been watching boxers for over 60 years, and I believe , that the Buster Douglas who ko,d Mike Tyson 20 years ago [time flies], for that one night , would have a good chance too lick almost heavyweight ,in history... Douglas was great that one night 20 years ago...Says I...
     
  8. JudgeDredd

    JudgeDredd Well-Known Member Full Member

    2,949
    33
    Sep 14, 2009
    Imagine if Douglas had beaten Holyfield, then beaten Tyson again!
     
  9. Cheese

    Cheese Member Full Member

    276
    4
    Jul 18, 2009
    That wouldn't of happened. That's why he and he didn't want to fight Mike again. But he got his moment in the sun.
     
  10. janitor

    janitor VIP Member Full Member

    71,528
    27,120
    Feb 15, 2006
    With his level of talent he didn't have anything to loose by having a try.
     
  11. techks

    techks ATG list Killah! Full Member

    19,779
    699
    Dec 6, 2009
    It was good to see Buster on ESPN he seems like a cool guy.
     
  12. Cheese

    Cheese Member Full Member

    276
    4
    Jul 18, 2009
    That's what I thought. I guess his pride is bigger than a 8 figure check. I saw on ESPN a few years back that times got so hard that Buster was living in a barn at one time. One more fight with Mike could of put him on easy street. I would of taken the money I can't lie.

    He was on ESPN selling a barbecue book. Don't think that's gonna bring in too much money.
     
  13. Cheese

    Cheese Member Full Member

    276
    4
    Jul 18, 2009
    Yeah he was good but once he tried to get out of his agreement to fight Tyson again and he got beat by Holyfield, boxing didn't need him anymore. And it seems like he gave up.
     
  14. krimm90

    krimm90 New Member Full Member

    50
    0
    Jan 23, 2011
    being a big tyson fan i did alot of research on this fight and obv we know Mike didnt train proper but not to take anything from Buster he fought the good fight that night. but from what i read about him he was one whos always had trouble with motivation but once he got a shot at mike he finally had that fire in him and he promised his mother who would pass away shortly before the fight that he would win. So history goes down mike falls. after that Buster did what he set out to do. according to interviews and some books he didnt want much more then to simply beat tyson he did that and fire was put out because he was content. No matter what always remembered as the guy who stooped the unstoppable Mike Tyson
     
  15. Tuaman

    Tuaman Return Of The Terminator Full Member

    334
    9
    Jan 3, 2011
    I saw James Buster Douglas working at Wendy's yesterday. He took my order and seemed miserable. OK, it wasn't Buster Douglas after all, but it did look like him!! Good thing I didn't say, "Hey, are you D James Buster Douglas? The one who fought like a magical unicorn for one night only and beat the crap out of an unfocused, lazy Mike Tyson?"