25 rounds Prime Jack Johnson vs Prime Dempsey.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Charlietf, Apr 7, 2020.

Jack Johnson vs Jack Dempsey(their primes)

1. Johnson by ko/tko

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Johnson by decision

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. Dempsey by ko/tko

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  4. Dempsey by decision

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    25 rounds.
    Actually i like the style of Johnson against Dempsey's. Johnson is clearly the stronger man and heavier too. If Johnson is able to frustrate the early explosive attack of Dempsey with his clinch (nearly grappling)lol then he would make Dempsey his toy in the late rounds and i could see johnson smiling dominating the fight.
    (Have to say that i love Johnson style because i love the clinch too to tire my rival, i train both, grappling and boxing so i use my strength like an advantage in boxing,i know that it is not very clean in a boxing match but foreman pushed back people lol)

KasimirKid likes this.
  2. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Wow this would be brutal inside battle.

3. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Who would you pick?

4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Johnson, but he would be in harms way throughout the fight.

Titan1, Reinhardt and Charlietf like this.
  5. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Probably Johnson due to his style and strength advantage but it's close and Dempsey could be dangerous for anyone.

Charlietf likes this.
  6. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    On face value Johnson should be awful for Dempsey, with his sharp uppercut to catch him on the way in and advanced clinchwork that would diminish Dempsey's offence. Not to mention his ridiculous stamina and endurance leads to what you'd expect would be a win under his ruleset. However, getting hit by Ketchel (who's somewhat similar to Dempsey just much worse and smaller) and going down isn't exactly filling me with confidence.

I think Dempsey would land, dart in, and then it's over.

7. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Johnson gets a decision, I think it's one of those style s makes fights affairs. Dempsey really struggling to nail his man clearly, JJ doing his damn hardest to shut him down and hold. But, no man is totally shock proof and if any guy can whip over a punch that drops you, then it's JD.

Levook likes this.
  8. CharlesBurley

CharlesBurley Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2020
    This is quite interesting because:

1. Dempsey struggled with fast defensive counter punchers, which Johnson was

2. Dempsey's level of output and aggression was 'new'. Would he fight the same way over 20 rounds and potentially punch himself out? If so how does Johnson handle this workrate?

The real question is if Johnson can evade Dempsey often enough and counter him effectively. Would he tire him out and counter him.

How would Dempsey do against Johnson's uppercut on the inside?

It's a really good contest in fighters from slightly different eras.

By rights Dempsey should have fought Johnson, Wills and Langford but chose to draw the colour line. It doesn't mean he'd lose but he obviously saw that as reasonably likely.

If I remember the story correctly both fighters agreed to take the fight the distance and wear the wraps. Ketchel broke the agreement, so Johnson got up and sparked him. A flash KD doesn't necessarily mean you can't take bigger punches that you're prepared to take. And ofcourse it's the punch you don't see that puts you on ***** street.

I'm not sure why that none swearword is censored. It is used by some to describe a homosexual but still why so prudish, it's a valid word

Charlietf likes this.
  9. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Ketchel was already down twice and he wanted a 45 rounder, I assume to catch Johnson late. That was never going to go the distance.

10. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Let's be honest - Johnson toyed with Ketchel. He paid the price for being too careless, but that didn't make him struggling at all.

I don't see Johnson carrying Dempsey this way. He wouldn't help him not going down like he did with Stanley. Of course Johnson is Johnson, he would always try to clown a bit but I see him being fully motivated like he was against Burns and Jeffries.

11. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    That's not true, at lower weight you can watch plenty of agressive high volume punchers way before Dempsey (Ketchel, McGovern, Nelson) and even at heavyweight there were guys like Tom Sharkey way before him.

12. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes. However, he was hit and was hurt. Ketchel managed to get him in a way Dempsey would do all night.

RockyJim, Reinhardt and 70sFan865 like this.
  13. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Yeah, he was hit and got down but he got up and knocked out Ketchel immediatly. It was a lucky punch in my opinion.

It'a true that Dempsey could catch him though. He was much better HW fighter than Ketchel and he's really dangerous puncher.

RockyJim, Levook and George Crowcroft like this.
  14. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Dempsey..Too fast too mobile and has the stopping power.

15. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    I bounce back and forth on this one. Johnson was strong and knew how to in-fight by holding and using his uppercut, but we've never seen him against a relentless and strong foe like the Dempsey we've seen in the Brennan, Firpo, and Sharkey films, guys I use as a gauge because they were similar in size to Johnson, at least more so than Gibbons and Carpentier. Even as late as 1927 against Sharkey, Dempsey is relentless and strong. The Tunney fight isn't much help here because Johnson never showed the type of ring generalship involving footwork and foot speed that Tunney excelled in. And the Willard fight isn't very helpful even though he was an opponent common to both because Willard was totally shot when he fought Dempsey.

Dempsey showed a lot of stamina and late-round strength against Brennan and Sharkey. He would make Johnson work, and I think he would tire Johnson out. Of course, Johnson's holding might tire Dempsey out too. But I will go with Dempsey here. His brand of effective aggressiveness would have been something new that Johnson had never had dealt with. I wouldn't bet any money either way on this one unless I was given great odds one way or the other, but pushed against a wall I'd take Dempsey.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    louis54 likes this.