253lb David Tua vs 216lb Mike Tyson.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by choklab, Dec 2, 2019.

Who wins?

1. Tyson wins

43 vote(s)
    84.3%
  2. Tua wins

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  1. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Tua would take him out. Too big.

2. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    David Tua looked his absolute best the night he fought Ibeabuchi at 235 lbs. Almost every fight after he gained weight and was not as sharp. At 253 lbs he would only be a punching bag to Tyson at or close to his prime which he would be around 216lbs. He may not get knocked down, but the ref would stop the fight within 6rds . And Tua wouldn't protest.

greynotsoold and choklab like this.
  3. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    I’m not sure it is possible to expand on that pick.

Sure Tua is bigger. He’s a bigger target.

It’s not like Tuas going to be harder to reach. Tua is right there. Same height and well within reach. Tyson won’t have to do anything elaborate to hit him. He’s beating him to the draw every time. It’s not stretching up there like Tyson was against a 6’5” guy Like Biggs. Against Biggs Tyson was second guessing every move and out jabbing a much longer guy. Had him walk onto short punches because he knew where Tyrell was going.

Tyson will be chopping away at Tua like he did all those guys he beat who had never been knocked out before like Tubbs, Thomas and Holmes..only he’s reaching Tua quicker because he’s not having to work for those openings against longer men. He has a wide target before him.

Barring a a freak accident, I don’t think Tyson can lose.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    greynotsoold likes this.
  4. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Tyson, but Tua in front of him the whole night with his good chin and power? That might be very interesting.

mcvey likes this.
  5. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Tyson by KO- when Tua felt Lennox Lewis power he kept himself at bay- This fight he may have to fight to survive- Tua had power but Tyson had better upper body movement and angles, faster hands so Im thinking Tyson gets him before the 5th

choklab likes this.
  6. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Tyson. Insane footwork and balance and quicks, great upper body movement.

It may not be easy, tho.

mcvey, choklab and greynotsoold like this.
  7. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Tua never liked it to the body...he flinched from feather fist Byrd but granted he was already on the decline in that fight........anyway, Tyson would initiate the stoppage with body punches and finishes it up on top, maybe 5 rounds max.

choklab likes this.
  8. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
  9. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I voted Tua in the end, but there's not much in it. Tyson is the better, faster boxer. Tua is the bigger, tougher brawler. What makes me think that Tua might win is two reasons:

1) Stylistically they both like letting bombs go at close quarters. That means that Tyson is going to take his share of damage as well, and
    2) that damage is going to count when the fight gets longer and Tyson slows down. In a nutshell, Tua's chin wins it for him. It's going to be hard to blow a guy like him out.

Essentially I view this as kind of the Marciano - Tyson matchup in some ways. Marciano is trying to do what Tyson does except he's giving up like 20lb. Tyson is playing in Tua's playground and he's the little guy here.

10. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Tyson would beat Tua comfortably.

choklab likes this.
  11. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    tua needs to be like 225 or so. Always did. Or if he was in the shape of a Frazier, 215. That version would be a ton more effective and would have the ability to move his feet. And stay in his range, not the opponents.

As for the bout, whichever of these 2 comes in at 253, loses.

12. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Ehhm what??

U´re telling Tua better not equip that 30 pounds to have a "weight advantage" over Tyson?
    He better not give away those advantage, does he?
    --->

13. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
  14. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Silly reason to make a thread.

Yes, Tua was even more massive than Tyson, just as Tyson was more massive than Marciano. But aside from the fact that it was a cool 40-45 lbs between prime Rocky and Mike and about 20-25 lbs between prime Mike and prime Tua, he was, just like Rocky, also slower and less skilled than Tyson. Had Tua been faster and more skilled than Mike I would pick him without a moments hesitation.

As it is, I do think Tua would be perhaps the most difficult fighter style wise for Mike together with old Foreman, but the gulf in what they actually did in the ring at their best is just too big for me to pick Tua.

Glass City Cobra likes this.
  15. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    I don’t think there is 40-45lb difference between 189lb of Rocky and 216b of Tyson. By my calculations it’s less than 30lb.

I don’t think there is only 25lb between prime mike and prime Tua.

It depends where you think Tuas prime was. Was Tuas prime around the time he fought Ibeabuchi at 226lb or was it after that point?

There is 10lb between Tyson and Tua if we use the weight of the Ibeabuchi fight and the weight of the Biggs fight.

In this matchup Tua is 253b and Tyson is 216lb

Would you pick Tua if he was faster and more skilled -and lighter though?