30 years ago today: Gregory Lee "The Mutt" Haugen vs. Héctor Luís "Macho Time" Camacho Matías I

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Feb 23, 2021 at 10:10 AM.

1. RJJFan

RJJFan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Always have time for Haugen. Before his fight with Chavez, "Half those guys he fought were Tijuana cab drivers."

After getting TKO'd in 5, "Those were some tough damn cab drivers."

2. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt ESB's own bitchy old Capote-cum-Runyon Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Haugen now doing decently consistent work in not letting Camacho get away with getting away, always following up on a lunging left jab by converting it into a slapping hook across the cheek while hunched forward in pursuit. Camacho finding it hard to maneuver into pot-shot position with Haugen never allowing him that half a second he needs to get set. Camacho forced to make some poor, panicky decisions in his footwork and nearly beaching himself on the ropes a few times. Haugen hunting, content to graze for now, piling up touches as Camacho mostly keeps his own weapons sheathed to concentrate on movement.

10-9 Haugen, 48-46 Camacho

3. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    I almost forgot he was the one that coined that phrase in the sport's parlance. :thumbsup:

4. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    More or less a carbon copy of the fifth. Camacho skittering side to side in hemispheres, jabs whizzing out at nothing in particular now and then. Haugen trotting in, pulling away to make sure he doesn't get impaled on anything, then burying body shots diving in.

10-9 Haugen

57-56 Camacho

5. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Camacho shortening his walking arcs now, toeing a lateral line a few feet out of each corner, placing single right jabs when Haugen steps towards him, then yanking himself out and cutting crossways to play keepaway.

10-9 Camacho

67-65 Camacho

6. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Camacho has regained a rhythm in the last couple, making it about as boring as the first 2½ rounds were. Haugen having trouble trying to reach him. Too much foot speed, and Haugen more intent on putting oomph on his shots (bound to be wasted) than thinking it through and setting traps.

10-9 Camacho

77-74 Camacho

7. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Intentionality made good for the aggressor, shuffling and hopping in place between bursts of offense, catching Camacho flush with occasional overhand rights on the forehead and jabs on the near cheekbone, along with some body scrapes. Camacho lands the nicest shot of the round just before the bell with a left cross, but not enough to steal.

10-9 Haugen

86-84 Haugen

8. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Haugen doing good things with the stamina remaining to him, carrying both arms at risky depths by his waist as he sidles up close, but then flipping up a sudden jab, thrown away but doing its job, a pawn to keep Camacho's eyes off the right which catapults up from the other hip, and then body shoeshines for a flourish. Camacho running and churning air with window-dressing counter right jabs.

10-9 Haugen

95-94 Camacho

9. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Haugen suffocating his man, whipping him with underhanded lefts landing on a wide swath from gut to thigh, and always giving Camacho something to think about, a double jab on the chin on the march if nothing else. Haugen leaning back when not throwing so Camacho can't exploit him with flurries during the gaps.

10-9 Haugen

104-104

10. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Camacho had no way of knowing that Padilla was going to dock him a point for refusing the ceremonial glove touch and nudging past him with a sassy (and certainly at least mildly unsportsmanlike) triple jab, but, cautionary tale, you're better off not flagrantly disobeying the ref and getting on his bad side if you can help it. During the fight he's the authority. Sloppy, mostly even round, but Camacho very negative and probably deserved to lose it anyway as Haugen kept lumping leather on his gloves and arms at least (and sometimes scoring legally, but never really cleanly) until the bell.

10-8 Haugen

114-112 Haugen

11. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    I actually had it identical with our own @scartissue's scorecard, with the minor exception of rounds eight and twelve (he scored them both even, the latter becoming a 10-9 for Haugen with the point deduction). We both gave Camacho round one, which almost nobody on EyeOnTheRing (fan scoring aggregator) did. I wound up with the same average EOTR score of 114-112 Haugen, but by a slightly different route. (like scar, I gave Haugen the ninth while most of the lads who submitted scores to Eye had it for Camacho)

scartissue likes this.
  12. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Legit loss for the 7-1 fave, fair and square, but he'd have his rematch within three months (and that one in fact, where he avenged the loss and regained his title, was the more controversial in terms of disparate armchair judging)

13. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft 'Snarky Little Gobshite' - IntentionalButt Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Nah, I'm not. I fear it may bore me to actual tears. I'm too busy catching up on some recent featherweight action which I've neglected.

I've left school now. Actually, I left about a year ago with a full set of qualifications. I thought it'd be cool having a five month summer. Turns out, five months is worth **** all to anybody if you're forced to stay inside for all of it.

And believe me, I do not wanna be a mod.