66 years ago: Rocco Francis "Brockton Rock" Marchegiano vs. Archibald Lee "The Old Mongoose" Wright

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Sep 21, 2021.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    This content is protected

ATG vs. ATG, in a packed Yankee Stadium. It doesn't get any more "classic" in terms of atmosphere...then, you watch the fight itself. A classic indeed, with all the fixings. The combatants made perfect foils to each other differing in age, style, and demeanor. They each tasted canvas. One scored the KO and then rode off into the sunset to not just cement his legacy but enshrine himself as legend.

The couple of long-dithering conspiracies - namely, that Moore went into the proverbial tank; or his own claim that referee Harry Kessler gave Marciano a friendly slow count - are bunkum. Thoroughly disproven by now, and not deserving of another word.

Absolutely crazy in hindsight that, of the pair of them, you'd expect the guy that was several years the senior man at 38 - or possibly 41, depending on which birth report you believe - coming up from light heavyweight only to be violently thwarted in a HW championship gambit would be the one to never again have fought afterward. Instead, mystifyingly, upon becoming the forty-ninth in that storied 49-0 (and the forty-third of 43 kayos), Archie would then go 37-4-2 in the remainder of his career.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    ShovelHook, It's Ovah, DJN16 and 8 others like this.
  2. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Thanks for the upload. Good quality.

Reinhardt likes this.
  3. dmt

dmt Hardest hitting hw ever Full Member

Jul 2, 2006
    Terrific. Thanks for this. Love the old classic fights. Marciano and Moore are both incredible all time greats.

4. Bumnard_Hopkins

Bumnard_Hopkins Burger King banned Full Member

Jul 13, 2021
    Mr. Marchegiano, the slayer of geriatrics.

Reinhardt likes this.
  5. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Note: there was a hasty mental arithmetic slip-up on my part in the OP, slightly overcredited Moore in his post-'55 run. Even so, 37-4-2 is a hell of a thing for someone to crank out past the age of 38 (let alone 41 possibly), after getting Blockbustered no less.

6. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Moore was tired after 3 rounds.

7. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Aye but think what he managed to do in those first three. Rock's first time being knocked down since he was caught out cold by Cream (bka Walcott) in their first encounter...second of the only pair in his career.

Reinhardt likes this.
  8. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    He actually was busting Rocky up, Marciano won this fight for a three reasons, determination, superb conditioning ,and Moore was 38.

IntentionalButt likes this.
  9. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    What would it have done for their respective legacies had it gone the other way, do you suppose?

Moore certainly climbs the ATG rankings a fair few spaces if he collects Marciano's cherry. As for Rocky, how much is his greatness predicated on retiring undefeated? How far does he fall if he finishes up a still-respectable but less mythic 48-1 instead?

10. Bumnard_Hopkins

Jul 13, 2021
    If he loses his record what else could be his USP? Once Moore beats him people would say the same could have happened against Charles, Walcott and Louis.
    People would point more often to how lucky RM was.

11. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    So his ENTIRE standing in history is hinged on beating Moore? That wasn't quite the contemporary view, although most didn't see him becoming a GOAT candidate; he was respected at least.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  12. Bumnard_Hopkins

Jul 13, 2021
    Losing to a 38 year old man would. Fighting old men isn't great for your resume but losing is awful.

How many fans (not RM fans) really care for Marciano's fights outside of Moore, Walcott, Charles and Louis?

13. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Not really a great argument. Not all 38 year old fighters are cut from the same cloth. Moore is a certified ATG himself, was the reigning LHW champ coming off a dominant victory and excellent scalp, and would mount a very nice run and post some good wins afterward.

Was losing to a 40 year old Pacquiao "awful" for Keith Thurman? I don't really think so. Losing to a 38 year old Andre Berto now would be orders of magnitude worse.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    George Crowcroft and vast like this.
  14. Bumnard_Hopkins

Jul 13, 2021
    Thurman was never on anybody's potential ATG list.

Reinhardt likes this.
  15. split_decision

split_decision Electronic information tampers with your soul Full Member

Apr 14, 2010
    two legends, great thread

George Crowcroft and vast like this.