71kg UK Novice Amateur - 5th Fight (W)

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by TobyHalder, May 29, 2014.

1. TobyHalder

TobyHalder New Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Hey guys,

Think this is only my 2nd/3rd post on here now but have been on the forum a while enjoying the discussions, debates etc.
    My last post was of my 4th fight, at 71kg a loss which can be found here on the forum, the video in this post is of my 5th fight, which was actually at 74kg as I only had a weeks notice & due to it being practically end of the season had been taking the odd time out from the gym. I'm 22, been registered for around a year & a half now, training for around 2 years now since I stopped football, my record is now 3-2, inactive you'd assume for the amount of time & being a novice but for some reason struggled to get fights towards the start & everyone in my gym is younger 14-18, not many my weight so was hard to get the experience I needed sparring early on when I started which led to my two losses I believe, none the less, hoping to get some feedback from anyone on here who's interested! :)
    P.S. I'm in the blue corner w/ blue vest.

Thanks guys.

[yt]P2gVJUjxXl4[/yt]

2. Speechless

Speechless Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    lol....thanks for the life story. Sheesh.
    Good fight. You look pretty solid. Your opponent on the other hand, should seriously just stick with lifting weights. He looks like a child learning how to ice skate for the first time.

3. jasper2005

jasper2005 Active Member Full Member

Jun 8, 2012
    some nice body shots in there... could use some more snap on that jab

4. TobyHalder

Jul 22, 2012
    Nothing in the post said you had to read it all, coulda just clicked play lool, thanks though.

5. TobyHalder

Jul 22, 2012
    Thanks Jasper, appreciated.

6. Good Boy.

Good Boy. Guest

Do you a want a feel good lie?

Or maybe you prefer the cold hard truth.

Let me know

7. TobyHalder

Jul 22, 2012
    Either you're a realist, or a *****, but i've had my share of adversity in & out the ring, like i said any feedback appreciated so fire away my man...

8. kiniumi

kiniumi Member Full Member

Dec 24, 2012
    nice to have you here on another note. Boxing is not hockey or any other sport similar in the sense of season. this season mentality is preventing growth in our boxing world because unless your a special person/ competitor usually the person wont stay interested long and they have to get back in shape again instead of being in better shape then the fight before. its a life style man! anyways just my opinion and 2 cents.

on another note i am also one of the 2 oldest and only heavyweights at my gym and getting my fight last Saturday took another guy going up in weight while i attempted to go down lol know that feel bro

9. Good Boy.

Good Boy. Guest

Neither man just joking

You look all good :thumbsup

10. TobyHalder

Jul 22, 2012
    Thanks brother! :)

11. LongJab

LongJab Active Member Full Member

Mar 22, 2011
    - More Feints

- You bring back the jab too low sometimes. He wasn't quick enough to take advantage, but watch this.

- More hooks! Hook off the jab. You had some real solid hooks in there.

Looking good though.

12. Scorpion

Scorpion Boxing Addict Full Member

May 9, 2006
    Dude how tall are you?
    Reason i'm asking is cus i'm 71 kg right now but i'm only like 5'8 lol.

You guys look way taller. Better start cutting haha

13. JagOfTroy

JagOfTroy Jag Full Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Only thing I'd say is to work on head movement. You guys stand there for too long, giving him a chance to think and aim his next shot.
    He tends to land the jab on ya even though he's kinda slow(winded or just slow in general) but misses everything else cause he throws wild.
    He also had horrible balance so he had no hope to begin with.

Someone who knows what he's doing will connect so just tighten up your defense, everything else looked good.

14. PillowKnuckles

PillowKnuckles Member Full Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Your opponent had seriously the worst balance ever... As if there were small balls underneath his feet, good job taking advantage of it in the first round.

If you don't throw a followup after jab, retreat quickly, don't stand there, as someone said it above, hook off the jab. Your shoulder is higher than his, makes it easier to counter the jab with right hand over the top. Use more feints.

All in all, not bad, nice form.

15. TobyHalder

Jul 22, 2012

Thanks LongJab will take into consideration all points, appreciate it my man!

Scorpion, I'm about 5'11, maybe 6 at a push but I'd say 5'11, he was slightly smaller than me too, you might wanna cut yeah, depends what kinda of fighter you are really bro!