87' Tyson vs 69' Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by UncleDenny, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Caelum

Caelum Boxing Addict Full Member

May 16, 2010
    This is a bull**** myth.

He couldn't intimidate nor bully Ruddock yet he still beat him. Ruddock was bigger and stronger yet the 5'11, 215 Tyson is Godzilla.
    Ruddock also backed Tyson up, took his best punches, and still fought back with his own bombs...as well as hit Tyson after the bell in response to his own.

So the myth dies. Stop listening to Teddy Atlas and the writers that parrot off his words.

The only time this could ever hold, is Post-Prison Tyson. He was gone by then.

How come they never were questioned why these fighters were supposedly scared of him?
    Maybe it happened to be that Tyson could fight (during that time), they knew it...and he came for their health.
    These were trained fighters and not some common Joe off the street.

Fighters did stick up to tyson but Tyson, when with Rooney, had something that allowed him to win....a Well trained Mind, Body, and Technique...guided by a game-plan.

And he won't have to bully Frazier...he'll hit him, stun him, and then take him down. He won't have to deal with a grueling 15 round fight.

This content is protected

White Bomber and Sangria like this.
  2. GattiLeftHook

GattiLeftHook New Member Full Member

Mar 1, 2012
    I'd favour Frazier to win a decision or a late stoppage.

But like others have said, I could also see Tyson catching him early like Foreman did. Tyson's power + Frazier's sometimes slow starting could be a big factor.

Total fantasy prediction but I reckon we'd see Frazier survive a scare or two in the early rounds and come on stronger in the middle rounds and possibly stop Tyson in the 11th or 12th.

Still, in a fight like that I wouldn't argue with people picking Tyson. It's one of those fights that I can't imagine anything but edge of the seat excitement either way.

3. Caelum

May 16, 2010

It's wasn't just Foreman...but Oscar Bonavena had him hurt bad as well. difference with someone like Tyson, he'll finish it.

Joe Frazier vs Oscar Bonavena I

Time....8:40
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH5GCj9bDZ4&t=8m41s[/ame]

White Bomber and Sangria like this.
  4. GattiLeftHook

GattiLeftHook New Member Full Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Yeah I used the Foreman example because Frazier never recovered and was finished soon after.

Tyson's finishing instinct was scary. It's a hard fight to predict for me. Frazier often started slow but got stronger as the fight went on. Tyson was generally at his most dangerous early in a fight. For me it all comes down to if Frazier can weather the first barrage in the first 4 or 5 rounds. I think after that he could really give Tyson some trouble. But Tyson had the kind of power and finishing ability that I could see putting Smoke away, even as insanely tough as he was, and avoiding Tyson's bombs back then is easier said than done.

I loved the Frazier vs Bonevena fights. Have to dig them out again soon.

5. ripcity

ripcity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Tyson would win. We can expect a head on clash. When that happen the bigger, stronger and faster will win. Tyson is all 3.

White Bomber likes this.
  6. Caelum

May 16, 2010
    I tend to hear...Frazier late; Tyson early. I tend to agree. I just favor Tyson in this match to get him out of there early before Frazier can start to heat up.

White Bomber likes this.
  7. frankenfrank

frankenfrank Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Tyson stops every version of Frazier .

White Bomber likes this.
  8. leverage

leverage Active Member Full Member

Dec 27, 2006
    I know that frazier had more heart and stamina than tyson but the combination of fraziers style and willingness to absorb 3 to land 1 spells disaster against Tyson. The fight wouldn't last nearly long enough for Frazier's heart and stamina to benefit him: Tyson by ko inside of 2.

White Bomber likes this.
  9. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I would imagine most people see 68-69 Frazier as the peak version, even if he did not have as notable a victory as FOTC...What makes you see 71 Frazier as superior to the 68-69 version???

White Bomber likes this.
  10. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    I agree with your point but I dont think the first Bonevena fight is all that good of an example. It was Frazier`s 11th pro fight and his first step up to the contender level.

That would be like pickiing Tyson over Ali and using the Sonny Banks fight as an example. Just sayin.:?

11. Legend X

Legend X Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 18, 2005
    I would pick Frazier to win in 7 - 10 rounds.

Tyson has a great chance too though, of course.

12. Foreman Hook

Foreman Hook ☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆ Full Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Canny good post. :thumbsup

13. Foreman Hook

Jul 30, 2010
    This aint no videogame brah! :bart

14. Foreman Hook

Jul 30, 2010
    This content is protected
    :hat

15. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009

Where's the relevance,John ?

Marvis was nowhere like,or as good as,his father.

swagdelfadeel likes this.