90's Heavyweights

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Senya13

Senya13 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    If you took time to read the two interviews of people who gave away that document, you would know that both of them admitted to knowing almost nothing about steroids, and when they wrote those two letters, they simply didn't know the difference between a steroid and a prohibited substance. Ephedra-based drugs were prohibited, although it happened only a couple of years after that fight, but they were probably included to the list earlier, while they were still researching if it does harm to health or not. Jones admitted to taking a ephedra-based Ripped Fuel. But the thing is not only ephedra is not a steroid, but it doesn't help to build up muscles, on the contrary it helps to reduce weight. The official research by US federal organizations claimed they found no useful advantages that ephedra-based drugs give to anyone, except reduce weight. The only reason why they were prohibited is because of possible harm to health in some cases.

2. Senya13

Jul 11, 2005
    U.S. Food and Drug Administration decisions about ephedra-based drugs
    Federal agency NCCAM's summary about the same thing but in more simple language:

3. UpWithEvil

UpWithEvil Active Member Full Member

Oct 17, 2005
    It wasn't ephedra that Roy Jones Juicer tried to hide behind, it was androstenedione. Ephedra is a stimulant, not an anabolic, and would not result in a positive test for anabolic steroids.

But thanks for playing "Let's Make Excuses For Roy Jones Who Juices"!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androstenedione

4. Senya13

Jul 11, 2005
    I see you have taken time to look at wikipedia article. But sorry to disappoint you.
    1) Androstenedione is not an anabolic steroid.
    2) Androstenedione wasn't included in the list of prohibited drugs until several years later after Jones-hall fight.
    3) The claim that Ripped Fuel contains androstenedione is completely false. It never contained it.
    You can look up these facts yourself, they are easy to be found.

5. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    If the 15 round championship distance was reinstated, steroid use might actually become a liabilty, as would larger muscles requiring more oxygen. A greater premium would once again be placed on muscular endurance, necessitating greater streamlining.

When boxers have to train for longer distances, the bodyweights of most probably would decline back to the levels they always would have been, had the 15 round maximum limit been retained. Far from advancing boxer safety, the shorter 12 round distance has undermined it by facilitating damaging growth substance abuse.

Declining defensive skill will manifest itself in earlier and increasing cases of pugilistica dementia, and Parkinson's Syndrome, among retired boxers. Furthermore the skyrocketing use of growth enhancing stimulants, both legal and illicit, eventually shall betray itself through the mounting consequence of ailments like cancer in former athletes, and occasionally in still active competitors.

Over the last century, boxers who moved up in weight simply didn't increase their muscular dimensions like inflated dummys, let alone inflated dummys who also maintained their lighter speed and reflexes. In past eras, boxers who succeeded into middle age exchanged their loss of physical advantages with guile and experience expressed through the demonstration of new skills and progressive behavioral adaptations.

When Ray Robinson challenged Joey Maxim, his weight was well under the middleweight limit (and it was a dominant performance on the scorecards). Robbie did not inflate like a balloon. Nor did Archie Moore, when he was in his late thirties.

The idea that modern boxers can bulk up their muscles like bodybuilders, when in their late 30s, without sacrificing speed or endurance, and by foregoing the introduction of growth enhancing substances into their systems, is a bit much to swallow.

Yes, extraordinary muscular development can take place as a result of modern exercise methods, but to succeed at such an undertaking during middle age would generally require a dedicated bodybuilding regimen, one which wouldn't likely allow for the retention and advance of speed, quickness, and endurance.

Over the course of sports history, the importance of size has been largely cyclical. At some point, smaller athletes with superior skill and creative intelligence have outmaneuvered, surpassed and rendered larger performers obsolete, and will do so again, ad infinitum. At some level of development, technique and human consciousness always trump physical advantages.

If a longer time limit is ever reintroduced into boxing, today's huge dinosaurs will trudge off into the jungle and disappear.

6. mario

mario Member Full Member

Jun 27, 2007
    i swear they do not help, they only hurt an athlete, its all cosmetic, i'm a firm believer in that theory, whether they cut down or bulk up, you can't manifest talent

7. UpWithEvil

UpWithEvil Active Member Full Member

Oct 17, 2005
    I don't need Wikipedia to know that ephedra isn't a steroid.

It's an androgenic steroid. All androgenic steroids have some anabolic effect. In fact, it isn't uncommon for physiologists and endocrinologists to refer to "Anabolic/Androgenic Steroids", or "AAS".

This content is protected

Yes it was. At least, according to Marian Muhammad of the IBF, author of the document in question:

"Because [Roy Jones Jr.] positive for substance(s) that are supposed to be banned by our organization. Roy took our title into the ring; it doesn't matter who the lead organization was."

Now you can try to weasel your way out of these sad facts by pointing out that the WBA was the "lead" sanctioning body for the fight, and the WBA had not banned androstenedione, but that's just lawyering your way around the facts. Androstenedione was banned by the IBF, Jones was tested by the IBF, and he failed.

So Jones is a shameless liar running away from the consequences of his cheating. I'm not surprised. Still, it doesn't change the fact that Roy Jones Juicer blamed his positive steroid test on having used "Ripped Fuel".

And, of course, TwinLabs "Nor Andro Ripped Fuel" DOES contain 50mg of androstenedione per capsule.

http://www.supplementdata.com/nsr-07030.html

No more excuses - 'tis Roy Jones who juices!

cross_trainer likes this.
  8. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Interesting, do you have a link to that?

cross_trainer likes this.
  9. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    [FONT=&quot]Jones admitted using steroids though his attorney[/FONT]

10. Senya13

Jul 11, 2005
    I mentioned wikipedia about andro, not about ephedra.

The fact is anabolic steroid != prohormone, they are different types of steroids. The letter mentions "anabolic steroid" explicitly.

The letter mentions no names of what substance Jones tested positive for.

Here is the text of Controlled Substances Act that was in use at the time of Jones-Hall fight. It doesn't mention prohormones, such as androstenedione.

Here is the Implementation of the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2004 that amended the CSA, and was effective starting January 2005. In particular, it changes the following part:

Didn't see this version of it before. I guess because they removed it from Twinlab site. But the thing is, that doesn't change anything, as andro was not a banned substance back in 2000, it was only banned from January 2005, see above. And it is not an 'anabolic steroid' again, the letter mentions "positive reading for anabolic steroid". Back in 2000 the definition of anabolic steroid didn't include prohormones.

11. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004

Yep, but we all have that feeling in our hearts, when we watch an athlete we like and support rise from number 77 in thre world to #1 at the age of 28 and, although we don't want to, deep down we know something is not quite legit.

12. NickHudson

NickHudson Active Member Full Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Pure power athletes benefit from steroid use. Endurance athletes find them detrimental.

Boxing is part power, part endurance.

I agree with the posters who see possible benefits in terms of power punching, but diminished ability to put combinations together, and complete power-outs (!) in the championship rounds.

13. joe33

joe33 Guest

Im 6ft 3 and 19 stone,i work out 4 times a week very heavily with weights,and also run to and back from the gym as a warm up and warm down,i also work,thing im getting at here,is im very well built not a bodybuilder by any means,but im a very large guy,and ive never touched drugs in my life,i hate needles any way,and dont want to take any chances with so many pills about,i eat well,get plenty of rest
    What im saying,is i dont believe every 90s HW did roids,remember they are full time athletes,god if i could just train all week and not work that would be great,id be ****ing huge.But i like working,and would get bored just training all the damn time,I just feel far to many people are to keen to lump any one these days as a roid user,when i bet a large percentage just do what they do,and look like they look through hard work.

14. Muchmoore

Muchmoore Guest

Adding strength, and speed dont help :lol:

15. Senya13

Jul 11, 2005
    Marian Muhammad stated that she didn't understand much about anabolic steroids when she wrote that letter, and from her interview it is obvious that she's not aware that not just anabolic steroids are banned. Notice the singular form of 'anabolic steroid' and 'IBF have banned it'. At no point she or Jake Hall mention the name of the substance exclusively.
    Roy Jones Jr never admitted he had taken an anabolic steroid, he admitted to taking Ripped Fuel, without clarification whether it was Non Andro Ripped Fuel Stack or the supplement named simply 'Ripped Fuel', the one which contains ephedra. Androstenedione was not considered illegal, nor was it considered to be an anabolic steroid at the time the positive test had taken place.

The definition of 'anabolic steroid' that is used now in the list of banned substances has been changed in 2004, by the document I gave a link to in this thread.

To confirm that androstenedione wasn't made illegal until 2004, here's the press release made by Twinlab on March 12, 2004:

TWINLAB CORPORATION ISSUES STATEMENT IN RESPONSE TO FDA WARNING LETTER CONCERNING ANDROSTENEDIONE

Here is the warning letter that Twinlab is responding to, dated March 11, 2004. And the press release dated the same day.

Here is the letter from TwinLab to FDA, concerning Nor Andro Ripped Fuel Stack, which is a notification to FDA about existence of such dietary supplement for its further review by the administration, according to 403 (r)(6) of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. It is dated May 26, 2000 (Jones-Hall fight had taken place on May 13).

Jake Hall's interview (2003)
    Ripped Fuel is a dietary supplement, not an anabolic steroid, it wasn't such by FDA, it wasn't such by CSA act before the 2004 amendment. The statement is also contradictory that Ripped Fuel is not illegal, but at the same time it's an anabolic steroid per his claim, anabolic steroids were actually illegal at the time, and how can Ripped Fuel be anabolic steroid and not be illegal, Jake Hall doesn't explain. Thus his statement
    is completely false, as Jones has not done such a thing. It also doesn't make sense for Jones to openly admitting of taking an anabolic steroid, howmany sportsmen have you seen doing this? He admitted to taking Ripped Fuel, a fully legal dietary supplement at the time, not banned by FDA that regulates such supplements and advises other orgainzations accordingly about a list of exact such products that should be banned.